No HTC 8x drop test?

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I've seen multiple drop test with the 920 but not none with the 8x. My friend is going to get her first smart phone and I talked her into passing up the iPhone for a windows phone. She's on Verizon so her choices are the 8x and 822. I figured she would like the 8x more because of the slim feel and color options, but she tends to drop her phone a lot. I know I could just get her a case but I wonder how well the 8x can take a lick.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
You don't need a drop test to know that any phone can break, or have the screen shatter, when dropped. Get her a case.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I figured that would be the easy thing to do but in that case I have no real argument for her to pick the windows phone over the iPhone besides the price.

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
The 8x is not a 920, I wouldn't drop it on purpose, ever. Then again, I have seen a few 920s with cracked screens from dropping. Generally if it hits a corner, it's done.

There are lots of infographics out there for the advantages of each phone/OS. Find out what she does most on her phone and go from there. If its games, emphasize Xbox integration. Social, emphasize the People hub, Rooms, Groups, etc. If she has a specific app like Instagram, maybe she's better off elsewhere.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
Take her to the store and let her check both 8X and 822. The Nokias are very tough and also they have a lot of use ful apps. Smart phones are more than just look and feel. they need to have good apps.. Or else she will be bored and will blame u for the switch. Let her decide after playing with both. You can tell the pros to her.

Keith Wallace

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
I figured that would be the easy thing to do but in that case I have no real argument for her to pick the windows phone over the iPhone besides the price.

Well, that depends on the device. With the 8X, it's not even cheaper. Verizon offers the 16 GB model for $200, so it's the same as the iPhone. My sister's on Verizon as well, and she chose the Lumia 822. Nokia offers exclusive apps on its devices, and they really do make the difference. Tell her if she gets the Lumia 822 (which my sister got for $150, with a $50 mail-in rebate than I need to remind her to send in), she would get:

--microSD slot: The Lumia 8xx line has microSD support, which the 920, HTC 8X, and iPhones do not. The 820 and 810 come with 8 GB of storage, but the 822 comes with 16 GB and the expandable storage, so it's the best of both worlds on that front.
--Words with Friends and Draw Something: These are on all Windows Phone (if she likes the games), but only on Nokia can you get free, ad-supported versions (the paid ones are $2.99 each). I installed them but haven't played them myself, but it's nice that Nokia's working hard to get apps.
--Nokia apps: These include Nokia Drive (voice-enabled, turn-by-turn directions), Nokia City Lens (neat function to show off and find places to go in a new city), and more.
--Nokia Music: This is one of the "and more" apps, but it's so great that I thought I should mention it alone. Free, ad-free streaming. 4 playlists can be downloaded and used offline, so no data consumption. That basically makes it the best music streaming option on smartphones.
--NFC: Not extremely useful, but Apple has no NFC-capable device, so if it becomes more popular, she'd be out in the cold using it.
Xbox LIVE: If she uses it already (I know most girls don't, haha), she'll be able to bring her gamertag and friends list, while being able to earn achievements on Xbox-enabled Windows Phone games.

There is a lot that Windows Phone offers, but to get the most out of it, you really kind of have to go with Nokia. The HTC 8X might have the colors and build and resolution over the 822, but the apps the 822 offers are just too good to give up, in my opinion. Nokia Music has essentially made me stop using my Zune HD altogether, which is bittersweet (love the app, but hate that I don't use my Zune, haha).

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
WP8 would be excellent for a first smartphone because she doesn't have any preconceived notions about how things SHOULD flow. She'll be open to how WP is task/people-centric as opposed to being app-centric. It guides how the entire OS is used.

If she wants to jump in board with something that still somewhat on the ground floor, and will grow with her, either WP is awesome. It's not tied down with legacy workflows that Apple and Android need to adhere to. Apple and Android can't quickly revamp their workflows without revamping the OS, which will take many product cycles.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
The replies guys/gals! Remember this is her FIRST smartphone. Her reason for wanting an iPhone is her interest in apps. I will take her to Verizon to show her the difference between the two OS but I think WP is the better fit for her. I just want to wait for the fist update to fix the stability issues. She isn't tech savvy so I could see even IOS being hard for her to navigate through. The biggest feature that she is looking forward to is navigation. I hear many say apples making solution is crap but some say it's fine. I know Nokia maps will get better but many say at the moment it's lacking.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
Drop test are stupid. Smartphones are not meant to be dropped.....ever.
Sent from my HTC Titan 2 using Board Express

MathiasVerden

Jun 28, 2012
Visit site
If she's not in love with Windows Phone, she should check out an Android phone. It's like iOS, but with way more animations and way more responsiveness.

rmichael75

May 12, 2012
Visit site
The replies guys/gals! Remember this is her FIRST smartphone. Her reason for wanting an iPhone is her interest in apps. I will take her to Verizon to show her the difference between the two OS but I think WP is the better fit for her. I just want to wait for the fist update to fix the stability issues. She isn't tech savvy so I could see even IOS being hard for her to navigate through. The biggest feature that she is looking forward to is navigation. I hear many say apples making solution is crap but some say it's fine. I know Nokia maps will get better but many say at the moment it's lacking.

If navigation and apps surrounding it is what is required, then lumia 822 is what she needs. Nokia Drive is the best free GPS on cellphones. It is available in Lumias only. Also there are apps like Nokia City lens which is really very useful to explore new places.. I suggest you read about it.

Well you may not prefer 822 but i think it is better to give her options and let her decide.

Beast of Haeven

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
If navigation and apps surrounding it is what is required, then lumia 822 is what she needs. Nokia Drive is the best free GPS on cellphones. It is available in Lumias only. Also there are apps like Nokia City lens which is really very useful to explore new places.. I suggest you read about it.

Well you may not prefer 822 but i think it is better to give her options and let her decide.

I was thinking the 822 would be a good fit for her because of all the Nokia exclusive apps and stellar support, but I have a feeling she won't like the feel and look compared to the 8x.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site

Remember that people want apps because of what they think they can do with them. They aren't really interested in the app most of the time. They're interested in completing a task.

Have her focus on the tasks that she wants to get done, and you'll be able to steer here towards the WP philosophy.

Post a status to Facebook? Twitter? Both at the same time? She doesn't need an app.

Upload a photo to a bunch of different social networks? No app needed.

Etc...

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
The 8x is a really light and very thin on the edges so it is a little awkward to hold. That being said its alot easier to drop.

I suggest getting one of the rubber cases for it. Protects it from drops, you can get it the same color as the phone, and its still thinner and lighter than the 920! Also its not nearly as slippery as the device itself!

VDubb22

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
Dropped mine from waist level onto cement ground and it shattered the screen. Definitely seems more fragile than my iPhone 5 and the Nokia 920 when I had it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05