Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!

I purchased an 8X a week ago and it is a great upgrade from my HD7. I am having a few weird issues, the most troublesome related to the built in maps application and directions. I can launch maps and search location, see traffic data, see wifi, etc. If I select an address, search for an address and select 'directions from my location' I then receive a pop up notification that says:

Search for app in the Store?
    "You need to install an app for this task. Would you like to search for one in the Store?"

If I click yes, it takes me to the VZNavigator Store page. If I launch VZNavigator (aside from being a terrible app) it wants me to pay the added fee to use it.

Has anyone else experienced this? Is there any way I can enable the built in directions functionality using Bing Maps?

I downloaded gMaps, which works, but I'd much rather use the built in functionality.
    Developer

From what I understand, this functionality is no longer present; you have to use a third party app for navigation. Yes, it is unbelievably stupid that they did this.

Are you serious? Not even basic directions? I follow the WP ecosystem pretty closely and I had no idea that was the case. That's unbelievable, especially considering there are no good mapping applications in the store other than gMaps.

Has anyone tested VZ Navigator? First month is free and then it's $2/month after. I'm going to start the trial this month and see how I like it. I'll post back on the forum with my impressions and whether or not I chose to add the extra cost.

Quote Originally Posted by daverath View Post
    Has anyone tested VZ Navigator? First month is free and then it's $2/month after. I'm going to start the trial this month and see how I like it. I'll post back on the forum with my impressions and whether or not I chose to add the extra cost.
    I can usually just put in the address (number and street) and Bing Maps is smart enough to route me to the one nearest to me. I selected VZNavigator for the directions once and it sent me to something in Floria (I live in Los Angeles). Judging by the 2 stars on the Store, I think its probably crap.

Global Posts
    128 Global Posts
    My assumption was that this is a mandate by Verizon... ridiculous, and I hate it. I downloaded gmaps, which works, but I liked the mapping/navigation offering with WP7.

I use the app "Navigation" it's paid but it is only $5 once and it seems to be accurate the times I've used it. It has spoken turn by turn directions but no spoken street names, but you can only expect so much for $5

This does not happen to me, I just tested it. Using Bing maps, I find a location, tap on it, hit the Arrow icon at the bottom, a window pops open stating Start as "My Location" and End as wherever I'm going. I hit the arrow at the bottom right of the keyboard and it displays the route and turn-by-turn directions.

Honestly, I love the interface too. If only it had 3D and voice navigation it would be #1 in my book! But without these, it's no different than my iPhone 4 with iOS 6.

Quote Originally Posted by Klaric View Post
    This does not happen to me, I just tested it. Using Bing maps, I find a location, tap on it, hit the Arrow icon at the bottom, a window pops open stating Start as "My Location" and End as wherever I'm going. I hit the arrow at the bottom right of the keyboard and it displays the route and turn-by-turn directions.
    I just saw a post about this. That works for me as well. If you click on your searched address or POI and get the black screen that shows address, number, etc and click 'directions from my location' that does not work. That screen also does not have 'directions' at the bottom.

From the map, if you have the POI or address highlighted then you can click directions and that works.

Sloppy UI/programming.

Global Posts
    189 Global Posts
    I had this happen to me as well. I was able to get directions after following the same procedure as Dakow.
    Everyone needs to calm down....WP7.5 did have voice navigation natively....Microsoft opted to go with Nokia Drive for Windows Phone 8....The app is currently being tested and will be available shortly.

Part of the issue is that the behavior to get NON navigation directions isn't well thought out/implemented. I initially did not even know that I had the directions options available to me, since clicking 'directions' (not navigation, directions) prompted me to download an application.

And why do I need to calm down? Microsoft released a platform that had less functionality than the platform they released a year ago and less functionality than their two biggest rivals platforms. That's great that they are going with Nokia Drive, I'm sure it is a better experience, but it should have been ready for launch.

Exactly!! I had to take my kid to a party an hour and half away So of course i was shock to learn there is no voice turn by turn. I reverted back to my HD7 because I wasn't gonna stare like a dolt on my 8x. Come on MS did you not see this coming or were you thinking everyone would buy nokia?
    No. When you search a location in maps, click on the small map, it then goes full screen and shows you the way and where you are. You then just follow the path. There is no voice, but it is basic navigation.
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    I use VZW Nav, and it is a pretty decent app, and has great directions. The UI could be prettier. But I still use the built in nav in Maps. You have to hit directions at the bottom of the screen, not from the location card.
    Sprint (9 1/2 years) - Samsung SPH-A460, Sanyo PM-8200(S), Samsung A900 "Blade" & Samsung SPH-M620 "Upstage" simultaneously (2 lines), Samsung Instinct & Samsung Upstage simultaneously (2 lines), Palm Pre & Palm Pixi simultaneously (2 lines), HTC Evo, HTC Arrive::::Verizon (since March 2012) - iPhone 4s, HP Pre3.....[S]Looking forward to going back[/S] Finally back to Windows Phone with the HTC 8x [S](iPhone 4s as work line, HP Pre3 to play with)[/S]...now on a Nokia Lumia Icon. Love my Gen 1 Surface RT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkgift View Post
    I use VZW Nav, and it is a pretty decent app, and has great directions. The UI could be prettier. But I still use the built in nav in Maps. You have to hit directions at the bottom of the screen, not from the location card.
    Ok but it is not working as in WP7.5 which the map rotated and followed you right?

Global Posts
    365 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TruPlaya187 View Post
    Ok but it is not working as in WP7.5 which the map rotated and followed you right?
    Hmmm...not sure. I'll let ya know.
    Sprint (9 1/2 years) - Samsung SPH-A460, Sanyo PM-8200(S), Samsung A900 "Blade" & Samsung SPH-M620 "Upstage" simultaneously (2 lines), Samsung Instinct & Samsung Upstage simultaneously (2 lines), Palm Pre & Palm Pixi simultaneously (2 lines), HTC Evo, HTC Arrive::::Verizon (since March 2012) - iPhone 4s, HP Pre3.....[S]Looking forward to going back[/S] Finally back to Windows Phone with the HTC 8x [S](iPhone 4s as work line, HP Pre3 to play with)[/S]...now on a Nokia Lumia Icon. Love my Gen 1 Surface RT!!

Quote Originally Posted by Darkgift View Post
    Hmmm...not sure. I'll let ya know.
    Thanks! I will check that as well tonight on my way home in the bus.

Quote Originally Posted by Microsoftjunkie View Post
    Everyone needs to calm down....WP7.5 did have voice navigation natively....Microsoft opted to go with Nokia Drive for Windows Phone 8....The app is currently being tested and will be available shortly.
    I'm not sure this is correct. The Nokia Lumia 920 already is using Nokia Drive. I think it may be a rights issue for now, I believe Nokia has exclusive rights to the app for some initial period before releasing it for use on other handsets. I agree with others that it is frustrating that Windows Phone has lost some functionality between releases (don't even get me started on syncing music), but hopefully this is a temporary setback and better things are ahead.
    I now get the same answer since the portico update... But if I use the bottom menu button for directions, it works.

Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    well, the worst part of this, even if you purchase, already purchased, or DL a free version of navigation SW (like garmin, navigon, or navigation) your Verizon 8x will not recognize this and still direct you to the store to download vz navigator.

what pisses me off most is that i specifically asked VZ in their support forum 2 days ago and not one response. i tweeted the link to vzsupport and got a response that basicaaly said we dont support third party apps. WTH? Its the old run around. Vz says to contact MS. MS says to contactb the carrier. ( i tweeted winphonesupport too)

Hope you folks here at WPCentral pick this up and run with it. A decision maker somewhere needs to be made aware.

Quote Originally Posted by jasqid View Post
    well, the worst part of this, even if you purchase, already purchased, or DL a free version of navigation SW (like garmin, navigon, or navigation) your Verizon 8x will not recognize this and still direct you to the store to download vz navigator.
    The apps need to support this API for it to work - this is a new API in WP8 and thus nothing supports it yet.
    Thanked by:
    jasqid 

Global Posts
    634 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by futurix View Post
    The apps need to support this API for it to work - this is a new API in WP8 and thus nothing supports it yet.
    I was not aware of that. Hopefully the nav app gets updated to work within the get directions of the phone. Its the only one I found that will keep the music playing and give turn by turn over BT at the same time.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolknight1968 View Post
    I now get the same answer since the portico update... But if I use the bottom menu button for directions, it works.
    Hi, when you meant that it works. Do you mean that now you have the good old turn-by-turn built-in like in WP7.5. So the icon would stay in the middle of the screen and the map would rotate depending where you turn?