HTC 8X Custom case back from printer!

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Well my custom case is back from the 3D printer! Good news and bad news. First, the good news is it fit very well! That was the really hard part. The bad news is, the material they use is WAY too flexible and the design needs changing to make it work. These design changes wont take very long, and I should have another case back from the printer in a week or two. Its still not ready for sale yet, but here is a video showing the product and fitting.

Please give me some feedback. Also remember that the design can be ANYTHING. I can print logo's, names, or whatever anyone wants. The current design is just a test.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
One thing I would like to get is a digital caliper to measure the phone. I used the 8X's wiki page for the base measurements, but the case came out about 1MM tall.

DeathBreath

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Very nice, looking forward to the next revision :) Also, I forgot to post in your other thread, but have you considered how hard it is to push the buttons(especially the power button) when designing your case? I ask because I'm thinking the case will make it even harder and more frustrating. Keep up the good work!

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I had a feeling 1mm was going to be a bit too thin ;)

that web design looks much better in reality than it did in the mock-ups. I'm trying to envision the web design in the bronze metal offering. I may opt for that instead of a full back cover that we originally discussed! It will definitely be cheaper so it's a win/win

good luck with your design and I hope you can make a nice profit from selling these

looking forward to your next update.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to address some concerns. As I said in the video, it really annoys me that you cant hit the top off button easy on the 8X, so I made textured grip sides to help hold the phone while you press it. Also, the buttons are clear, but the case helps define the location of them. It will help with the buttons, not hinder.

Im going to work up a 2nd prototype with a new design I came up with, and also make a video about the design process. Look for it soon!

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Video looks good. Really good. Nylon by nature will have flex, acrylic will be much more stiff. There's benefits to both. I'd check into ABS plastic if they have it, is somewhere in the middle ground.

What program are you using to put the 3D model together, I'm thinking Solidworks, yes?? I'll check, I may still have a caliper hanging around. If so, I may be able to get you a tighter 3D model, or at least a good 2D Ortho to help you out.

Thoughts about the internal grip pads I mentioned on the OP? Would help with manufacturing tolerances, and provide a touch of cushion.

Looks good man. Let me know.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Just a bump and an update. I did some tinkering around with the original prototype and refined the design. Its no longer a 2 peace case, but a 1 peace snap on case! The design works amazingly well and holds onto the phone VERY well. Here is video of the new design.

z33dev33l

Oct 16, 2011
Visit site
Do you have any suggestions for a program for a noob who's looking to try this stuff out? I'm trying Blender right now and I have actually got a pretty good model going but haven't figured out the dimension modification. I'm looking for something a little less advanced so I can try and mock up a Lumia 920 case. I appreciate any help.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Ironically, I was watching that movie when I came up with the idea.

As for software to do this, I use 3D Studios Max, but its NOT an easy program to learn. Try Rhyno 3D, Modo, or Solidworks. Blender is also good, but no 3D program will be easy. I have been working with 3DS Max for over 12 years, and I still dont know all of the program.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Just another quick update. Here is a render of the new case design. The new design covers more area and is 50% thicker then the old design, plus is a 1 peace snap on, not a 2 peace. Im printing two, but the printer is backed up for the hilidays. It may be after Xmas that I get them!

Anyways, here is a sample of the new design. If people like the web design, it will also be available in the 1 peace, and will be a bit cheaper.

htc_8x_case_07.jpg

htc_8x_case_09.jpg

And here is an example of what can be done with custom logo's and names.

htc_8x_case_08.jpg

Would love some feedback on the new design!

Also, I will be giving away two free cases once I get them. One to an AT&T user, and one to a Verizon user, to make sure they fit both phones. Details on how to win them coming soon!

DeathBreath

Nov 8, 2012
Visit site
Great job! I like the new one piece design better. As for the new design, I like it, but something just isn't quite doing it for me. I'm not sure what though. I think it's too much plastic covering the back. I like the minimalist design of the spider version better. Maybe something in between? Thanks again!

CS2228

Dec 12, 2012
Visit site
I definitely like the fact that you've thought about the buttons! Won't lie, the photo button feels flimsy, so if I can stop hitting that when I don't mean to, all the better! You're spider-man version is cool; go for red!! But I wonder how much protection this will really offer the phone...I just dropped mine on the corner (horrible spot; maybe 6 inches - 1 ft from the ground) and there are now spider cracks through the screen up from the corner....will the case offer a bit more protection?

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
.will the case offer a bit more protection?

Anything is better then nothing, but make no mistake that this is NOT an Otterbox. Its mainly to help with cosmetic damage (scrapes and dirt from setting the phone on surfaces), and it may help impact a little. I designed a small air gap in each corner as a cushion, but I dont know how well that will work. Quite frankly, I dont have the money to be dropping my own phone to test it, so I cant guarantee anything other then your phone looking cool ;)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism