How to see Google Tasks on HTC 8X?

ranphi

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Hello all -

Is there any way to see Google Tasks with the native email client (or any other native app) on the 8X? I saw a couple posts that showed how to configure the email client to sync Google Tasks when you set it up to access your Gmail account, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to actually see the tasks on my phone. :p

I did a search and couldn't find an answer, so I'd appreciate it if someone could enlighten me. :)

Thanks!

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Hello all -

Is there any way to see Google Tasks with the native email client (or any other native app) on the 8X? I saw a couple posts that showed how to configure the email client to sync Google Tasks when you set it up to access your Gmail account, but I can't for the life of me figure out how to actually see the tasks on my phone. :p

I did a search and couldn't find an answer, so I'd appreciate it if someone could enlighten me. :)

Thanks!

Setup your google account as an ActiveSync account. You do this by adding an Outlook account and use the following settings.

username: email address
domain: google
server: m.google.com
Require SSL checked

Make sure to check Tasks under the content to sync. Now your tasks will show up in your calendar as a to-do item.

ranphi

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Setup your google account as an ActiveSync account. You do this by adding an Outlook account and use the following settings.

username: email address
domain: google
server: m.google.com
Require SSL checked

Make sure to check Tasks under the content to sync. Now your tasks will show up in your calendar as a to-do item.

Ah, they're in the calendar! That was the missing piece for me. Thank you very much, Mr. Brown! :)

I have one other related question though - I have 2 ActiveSync accounts currently setup on my 8X; one for my work Exchange account, the other for my personal Google account. When I just now looked in my calendar for tasks, it's only showing tasks from my work Exchange account. Is there a way to see the Google Tasks as well?

Thank you again for the help with my first question! It just didn't occur to me to look in the calendar app for tasks. :p

ranphi

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
No Problem. Open up your gmail account settings and make sure that Tasks is selected under content to sync.

Yup, I've had Tasks set to sync under my Google account settings since I setup the phone a couple of days ago. It seems like it might be giving priority to my Exchange account, but I don't see anything in settings to alter that (if that is indeed what's happening). I just tried turning off task-syncing for my Exchange account and that didn't make any difference. Did a reboot of the phone just in case it needed that, but still no Google Tasks showing.

Mr. Brown

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Yup, I've had Tasks set to sync under my Google account settings since I setup the phone a couple of days ago. It seems like it might be giving priority to my Exchange account, but I don't see anything in settings to alter that (if that is indeed what's happening). I just tried turning off task-syncing for my Exchange account and that didn't make any difference. Did a reboot of the phone just in case it needed that, but still no Google Tasks showing.

Can you create new tasks on your phone in your gmail account? I'm able to. I'm also able to see my gmail tasks.

ranphi

Nov 28, 2012
Visit site
Can you create new tasks on your phone in your gmail account? I'm able to. I'm also able to see my gmail tasks.

Very odd! Something seems to be knackered with my default Google Tasks list. None of the tasks in it would show up in the Calendar app on my phone, and any tasks I created on my phone would not show up in my Google Tasks on the web site. I also tried using an app on my phone called "Clearer" and same result.

I created a brand new tasks list in Google Calendar (via my Mac) and those sync just fine. So something seems to have messed up the default tasks list in my Google account. Eesh! :p

But this resolution will work for me and I think I'm good to go now (though I'd love to know what the heck has put my default Google tasks list out of whack).

Thanks very much for you time and help! I sincerely appreciate it! :smile:

azariel

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Having the same problem with my 8x. Sync via exchange; mail, contacts & calendars sync fine. No tasks though. I have 3 google accounts (personal gmail, work G-apps account, & school G-apps), and none of them will sync. Tried creating a new list, but it didn't help. Even tried deleting all tasks in one account & also tried renaming the default list, neither seemed to help. Would love any assistance anyone could give. I guess I could migrate my personal tasks to MS account manually and use apps for the other two, but none of the apps I found mentioned multiple account support & reviews were not that great. Using three different apps is less then ideal. Any Suggestions?

Edit: Wanted to add that I also checked the google calendar settings at https://m.google.com/sync/settings/ and neither did my tasks nor shared calendars show up for any of my accounts. Although, they are options for a previosly synced iPod Touch, another sign that Google is screwing WP users.

The first image below is the settings for the iPod, the others are for my personal account, work, & school respectivily for the 8x.
wp_ss_20130116_0002.pngwp_ss_20130116_0001.pngwp_ss_20130116_0003.pngwp_ss_20130116_0004.png

Last edited:

azariel

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
Might just move everything to OneNote & pin seperate pages for personal, work, & school; but this will be just a checkable list, no due dates, reminders or additional notes. Hmmm.... Decisions...

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I've used many to do apps over the years. Never liked google tasks. My fav was doit.im when I had android. I like my tasks to be available on mobile, desktop, and web. If categories, tags, due/start dates etc are important to you then I'd recommend using remember the milk or toodldo online with a corresponding 3rd party WP ap.

Surprising to me, after years of trying to find the most robust and comprehensive task manager, I'm now using OneNote exclusively for that and am doing better than I ever have at managing tasks.

I've been using it for years to keep reference notes but lack of quick mobile access kept me away from making it handle notes, todo's, and lists.

I made a few launch pages with links to other note pages in my system because I didn't want to clutter up my home screen with a dozen shortcuts. For example, my main next action list has a list of links to the right that will shoot me straight to info lists(reading,movies, routine checklists, etc) in addition to gtd type stuff like project pages and someday lists.

Not being able to put in due dates, reminders, or priorities forces me to scan my main list every day which works well for me. My main list starts with 'today', then lower down changes to 'soon', 'this week', and 'later'. I check and reshuffle the top 2 parts daily and scan and reprioritize the rest about once a week. The desktop version makes it fun and easy to slide check box items up and down a list. I've found that I enjoy re-ordering the list that way then using a task manager to sort by due date, priority whatever.

Actual reminders and far off due dates go on my calendar now. Yes that's not good gtd practice but I'm loving my new simple system!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss