Help me stay with my 8x

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Ok so I need some help/convincing to get me to stay with WP8. I just traded my old razr maxx for an htc rezound (came with the beats earphones from the factory) I did the trade just for the headphones. Now this is a spare phone and my 8X is my main one!! Now he is a lil on my background.. Ive been an huge android user and htc fan. I've had the HTC Eris, Incredible 1&2, and the rezound (now on my 3rd on after trading for different phones)

Ok so here is my problem... I feel like Windows is left in the dark on a lot of stuff from apps, to accessories. Like Words with Friends can't make a good non sluggish app when you have to pay $2.99 for it? Or that Facebook can't make a good stock app when they are the biggest social networking place right now. Or that some of the mindless games that android had windows doesnt have. I just feel like no one is on board with windows software? Will it get better? Should I just hang on?

I really like my new phone but I'm so use to android and the thing is it just works, has more apps, BUT I'M WAY TO USE TO IT THAT IT'S BORING!!! What should I do???

Thanks

Sam Sabri

Oct 12, 2010
Visit site
It doesn't sound like anything we say can convince you Windows Phone is the platform for you.

But I can at least tell you why I prefer it to either Android or iOS.

I hopped on the Windows Phone bandwagon when it was unveiled back in 2010 in Barcelona at the Mobile World Congress. The biggest push for me was the Metro design language or whatever Microsoft wants us to call it these days. Now MDL is the reason that Windows Phone is my choice vs iOS and Android. It's not about how apps or the operating system look, but about how they work. If you can't make the connection to form and function I can't help you stick with Windows Phone.

At the end of the day you have three great operating systems to pick from. Use the one that works with you, for you and good luck. If you do stick with Windows Phone, hang out with us here and be part of a kickass community.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Hang in there. The updates are coming much more quickly and developers know they now have a stable platform to develop on. The future of WP7 was always uncertain. Now that the kernel is shared between Windows 8 and Windows phone 8 I think we are going to see improvement in a much shorter period of time.

unit_three

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Stick with it. The only app I truly miss is Flipboard but Weave is a decent replacement. I like the WP Facebook over the Android version which gets flak from Android users too.

Also, there are tons of mindless games. Try Wordament, Flowers, Drag Race, or Wheel of Wealth for time killers and they're free. Also Drag Race is entirely free on WP where on Android you need to get credits by installing more apps or buying them. For paid games, try ilomilo, hydro thunder go, sonic, or final fantasy.

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys.. I do wanna stay and I'm fighting the temptation to go back. I really like the 8x from specs to camera to look and feel. I just hope that companies really start pushing out WP8 apps. And I'd like to see more accessories for it, like car mount, battery case..ect

ImAdrian23

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I'm also envy of the apps that are available on Android & iOS but not on WP8. All of my friends are now playing Subway Surfer but me... But I got over that :). I've found other apps (Ragdoll Run is a great one) that keep me entertained. After-all I bought a phone, not a gaming console. However, I'm disappointed because Microsoft promised us ~46/50 of the hottest apps and so far I haven't seen any (Temple Run/Jet Pack Joyride... none have been yet released).

shinygerbil

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
Look at the phone. LOOK AT THE PHONE.

NO! Don't look away. Look back at the phone. Look how sexy it is. Look at that lovely contoured screen. Look at the beautiful black/blue/red/lime (delete as applicable) back with its sweet curves.

LOOK AGAIN. What a phone! What. A. Phone.

You want to keep it.

You're welcome :D

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
It's called Modern UI now. But I still prefer calling it Metro anyway.

And OP, give it some time, would you rather quantity over quality? Would you rather devs rush porting games over and have sluggish apps, or let them optimize it for WP. Same applies to accessories.

Stick with it a little while more, I'm sure it'll work out. If you find that it really doesn't suit you, nothing you can do then..

jake1110

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I too switched from an Android for over 2 years, EVO 4G. I had the Touch Pro and Touch Pro 2 before that so I was pretty set on HTC. Yes, there's a lot I miss from Android but I certainly love the new feel and design of WP8, along with the responsiveness. I used to be VERY much into flashing and tinkering but that was throughout college. Now I need my phone to always be functioning for work and I'm just too busy for that.

I definitely attract a lot more attention with my 8X. In fact, I actually had a stranger at a grocery store last night ask me if this was a new Windows Phone and gave him a quick look at it. He had a Droid Incredible and I think he was sold on the Metro UI as well. I'm a Sys Admin, so of course everyone in my department has already played with it as well. Kind of fun to be unique in a world dominated by iOS and Android.

Part of the issue with early adoption is lack of apps and advanced features. I remember having way more functionality on my Touch Pro than on the original Android builds, I was even rocking turn by turn navigation back then via offline maps. These days, I care more about the OS than the app ecosystem because I don't use apps is much as others. If MS can actually pull in a decent number users, developers will take notice of the platform. I prefer the content and presesntation of it more. Plus, I'm hoping I can actually get two years of updates this time around without needing a custom build, lol. We shall see though.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Words by Post is tons better than with With Friends imo. Leave the stock fb app for toasts, but get Facebook Viewer by Cambo. Great UI from the touch , mobile and desktop interfaces.

And now think if this. With so many folks coming over, the Devs are gonna go crazy. For every one(1) that posts, gonna be multitudes that just read. WP8 is getting a lot of news. I show my 8X off every chance I get. People recognize it!! Folks thought my Radar was an iPhone or Droid.

It'll all come. Folks here are generally very helpful and respectful. I mean we were all smart enough to make this decision here. Right?? ;)

Ooh I got the VNESLite emulator today. I've been playing Mario & Excitebike like all day.

Welcome over & good luck. Happy Holidays!!

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Words by Post is tons better than with With Friends imo. Leave the stock fb app for toasts, but get Facebook Viewer by Cambo. Great UI from the touch , mobile and desktop interfaces.

And now think if this. With so many folks coming over, the Devs are gonna go crazy. For every one(1) that posts, gonna be multitudes that just read. WP8 is getting a lot of news. I show my 8X off every chance I get. People recognize it!! Folks thought my Radar was an iPhone or Droid.

It'll all come. Folks here are generally very helpful and respectful. I mean we were all smart enough to make this decision here. Right?? ;)

Ooh I got the VNESLite emulator today. I've been playing Mario & Excitebike like all day.

Welcome over & good luck. Happy Holidays!!

Thanks were do you get the ROM's for the emulator?

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I'm sticking with my 8X!!! I found some good mindless apps and now with a emulator I could be set. I just hope big company's start jumping onto the WP8 app market

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills