Weird cracking sound from speaker when phone rings

golfred72

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
Hello all , brand new HTC Windows Phone 8X user coming over from android . Have had my phone a couple of days now , and have noticed a strange problem . When my phone rings I get a weird cracking noise from front speaker . Sometimes I get it all through the ring , and sometimes just when I push to answer . Once I start talking everything sounds fine . Has anyone had a similar problem .

geekpryde

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Been happening to me more and more on my 8x. I don't use Skype at all. There are some other threads here about ring / audio distortion. I can't decipher what causes it. I don't bother restarting phone, problem comes and goes. For now I am just dealing with it. still love my phone. No issues with call quality, its just the ring for me.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hello all , brand new HTC Windows Phone 8X user coming over from android . Have had my phone a couple of days now , and have noticed a strange problem . When my phone rings I get a weird cracking noise from front speaker . Sometimes I get it all through the ring , and sometimes just when I push to answer . Once I start talking everything sounds fine . Has anyone had a similar problem .

I had that problem as well and since I have uncheck all options in the "attentive phone" in settings, the problem is gone. I think that the main problem was the option of "Loud ring in pocket or purse" which over sound killed the speakers.

See if that helps.

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I sometimes have a cracking noise coming from the rear speaker when I'm answering the phone, but not while it's ringing.. I do have attentive phone turned off. Not a big issue for me since it only happens right when answering, but hopefully it gets fixed.

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Often happens when I get a call on Bluetooth while music is playing when in the car. Have to go out of the music player and back into it to get it to work again.

Camaroon

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
Funny, this same thing just happened to me yesterday for the first time. I've had the phone since black Friday and never experienced it. After I got in to work I had a calendar event pop up and it was really loud and cracking. It did it for a while and at some point all notifications stopped making any sound. Texts, other calendar events I had set up, nothing other than phone calls made any noise. I decided to restart and that fixed it, but very strange. Someone else mentioned the Attentive phone settings. I, as I'm sure others did, got an update to it the other day so maybe that really is the cause.

esheafer

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
I wonder if this might have something to do with the Attentive Phone Setting "Loud ring in pocket or purse" being enabled? I'm going to flip it off and see if it resolves it for me. I have had it happen to me a couple times and a reboot fixes it, but I do wonder if this setting sometimes has an issue and accidentally amplifies it and causes that crackle sound?

**edit ** I see TruPlaya187 already suggested this and appeared to fix the issue. I am doing the same.

Kiddo_24

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I kind of feel better I'm not the only one experiencing this issue. I noticed the cracking sound when I have my phone connected to my car via an auxiliary cable and a call comes through. Ringing would crackle bad.

lately, I been having issues with headphones for my music and sometimes on calls. I was going to exchange my phone in case it was a hardware issues. Instead I'm going to try some of the suggestions posted on this thread.

(By the way, this is my first post on WPC since connecting my Mobile Passport. Yay!)

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
Its not the attentive phone feature causing it in my experience. I think its the beats audio software. Ive had attentive off since I first had the issue and am still experiencing it. When I turn Beats off, it doesn't seem to happen.

From what I have seen any notification sound that plays while a sound is already playing through the headphone jack causes the problem. I have to restart the app I am using and reinsert the headphone/aux lead. I have tried it with Beats disabled and it doesn't seem to happen.

Optimus82

Dec 10, 2012
Visit site
I get this too except I have a Tmobile Nokia 810. It's fine when playing music/media but when I get notifications or calls, it sometimes has a cracking sound. Even when in the Xbox live/games hub, when messing around with changing up my avatar, I get the cracking sound from the sound confirmation when choosing an option and pressing the back button. Sometimes it happens and sometimes it doesnt.

Just remembered it also happened occasionally when I had my HD7 a while back.

geekpryde

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Its not the attentive phone feature causing it in my experience. I think its the beats audio software.

Yes, I think I am in agreement with you. I use Rhapsody in the car, and plug and unplug the headphone jack daily, beats audio is turning on and off multiple times a day. I am getting the crackling sounds more and more. I am going to try and document every time I hear the cracking sound, and post a list back. For me, it's not just when the phone rings. Stay tuned...

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I wonder if this might have something to do with the Attentive Phone Setting "Loud ring in pocket or purse" being enabled? I'm going to flip it off and see if it resolves it for me. I have had it happen to me a couple times and a reboot fixes it, but I do wonder if this setting sometimes has an issue and accidentally amplifies it and causes that crackle sound?

**edit ** I see TruPlaya187 already suggested this and appeared to fix the issue. I am doing the same.

Just read the posts about BeatsAudio and it makes sense a lot! Just yesterday I was listening to music with my headphones, then received a call, answered with the built-in mic on my headphones, hang-up, then the music started again but with a lot of crackling sounds. I had to stop the music, unplug my headphones, re-plug them and the sound came back normal.

Need a major fix for that!!!!!

Jastow

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
My wife's 8X went silent after the update, but had been having off/on audio issues the week prior. Her sounds suddenly came back last night when she was testing the alarm clock. Its hard to rely on something that works randomly.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

Agent-P

Oct 11, 2011
Visit site
I've tried turning off the "loud ring in pocket and purse" attentive phone feature and I turned off Beats audio and I haven't experienced the issue since then (have no idea which one actually fixed it, but I'll leave them off until it's fixed). I really hope this gets addressed in an update because I use both those features.

Darkgift

Oct 29, 2011
Visit site
I posted about the same thing, but no one answered...lol. mine only happens when I hit answer...sounds like a needle scratching a record.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bradhism