hold the start button and watch what happens

mach1man

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
Ok so this maybe old news but if you hold the start button for a few seconds it will bring up a screen like siri or S-voice. You can ask it like where are gas stations, food places what not. Or have it call someone or text. Its pretty neat!!

Really hope this isn't old news

Coffee

Jul 26, 2011
Visit site
a lot of people know it's there but don't utilize it much. It can be pretty handy, and will become more so as app developers start to use it, too.

tofu.

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Ok so this maybe old news but if you hold the start button for a few seconds it will bring up a screen like siri or S-voice. You can ask it like where are gas stations, food places what not. Or have it call someone or text. Its pretty neat!!

Really hope this isn't old news

it's actually nothing like siri.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
Its MOST of what siri is without the bells and whistles. I don't need my phone to act like a person, I need it to do what I want without delay.

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, I know on the 4s siri could not open apps like tell me can, does the new iPhone siri open apps now? That's what I always liked about tellme, the ability to tell it to launch any app on your phone

MaulerX

Feb 20, 2011
Visit site
Just curious, I know on the 4s siri could not open apps like tell me can, does the new iPhone siri open apps now? That's what I always liked about tellme, the ability to tell it to launch any app on your phone

Yes, they finally updated Siri to open apps. Lol. But Siri is dependant on your data. Tell Me retains some functionality even in offline. For example, if you ask your WP to open an app (while in airplane mode) it will still work.
Sent from my RM-820_nam_att_100 using Board Express

sym1a1a

Nov 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I always liked tellme, it actually is the fastest way to launch an app that's not pinned to the start screen, thanks for the info tho

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Ha! You just discovered Windows Phone voice features. It happens to all of us.

You made me remember the first time I discovered that pressing the home button on my old Optimus 7 (it has physical buttons) unlocked the phone. I couldn't believe how handy it was doing that instead of pressing the power button to unlock.

I just wish the same could be done on capacitive buttons. I started WP8 development a month ago but one of my first projects besides some apps is to find out if we can somehow override or control the capacitive buttons while the phone is locked.

obijuan23

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It can also read text messages, and allow dictation when connected to a wired or Bluetooth headset. Does not work when I have my car Bluetooth connected.

wpfan86

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Funny thing. I was driving home from work earlier this week with my L920 connected to my car's bluetooth. It must have been the first time since getting my windows phone that someone texted me while connected to the car bluetooth because, to my surprise, my phone started talking to me. It read the text (and name of sender) outloud and allowed me to dictate and send my reply, all without fishing my phone out of my pocket. A great (and safe) feature.

DAIMONDY

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I love this feature too :) all my phone calls, music, txts and navigation go through my cars Bluetooth and i never has to touch my phone while driving. Awesome.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
TellMe (and Windows Commander before it) have been around forever but Microsoft does not promote it much as research has shown most consumers don't interact with their devices via voice. Guess Apple didn't get that memo.
Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3