Muffled/Quiet Voice Calls on Receiving End

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So, I've had my phone for a couple weeks and I love all the bells and whistles and other great features that work really well, however I've had a few people complain that when they're on the the phone with me that my voice volume doesn't come in very well and that I sound either muffled or quiet or further away. I can apparently remedy the issue by connecting my bluetooth headset, and then the callers tell me that the volume level is louder and clearer. So I'm wondering if this might be a problem with the microphone itself or maybe the way that noise cancellation is being handled by the software. Since the call quality seems to be fine with the bluetooth headset, I don't believe this could be a network problem, but is there anyone else out there experiencing a similar issue at all?

rdlm

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem on a few phone calls when I first got my 8X. In my case, it was "user error". Specifically, I found that I sometimes held the phone with my pinkie on the bottom edge. When I did this, my finger covered the microphone hole on the bottom. To me, this is actually a pretty bad design problem, but I love the phone in so many ways that I'll take the blame and call it user error.

Let me know if you made the same mistake! I'd love to know I'm not the only stupid person out there! :wink:

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
At first I thought that was the case, however after doing some more testing of the issue last night I purposely held the phone on only the sides and then I also tested by purposely holding my finger over the microphone. It didn't seem to make much of a difference on the other end, still mostly got a far away or quieted sound from my end.

pulseOXE

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Same issue with my 8x. Some calls are fine, others complain and say "is there a pillow over your phone?" No case here either. I have also heard the problem firsthand when I called my friend with an 8x. No idea if it is a bug in software or hardware related.. Either way it isn't good.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
I had the same problem on a few phone calls when I first got my 8X. In my case, it was "user error". Specifically, I found that I sometimes held the phone with my pinkie on the bottom edge. When I did this, my finger covered the microphone hole on the bottom. To me, this is actually a pretty bad design problem, but I love the phone in so many ways that I'll take the blame and call it user error.

Let me know if you made the same mistake! I'd love to know I'm not the only stupid person out there! :wink:

like all the time.
https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=314CF5CB32F609F!835&authkey=!AGAxX4EVyb4BuzE

Got some sweet skull candy buds for cheap too. Killer with beats. I usually talk with buds in, and hold my phone in front of me.

juanitoriv

Windows 10 Champion
Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
So, I've had my phone for a couple weeks and I love all the bells and whistles and other great features that work really well, however I've had a few people complain that when they're on the the phone with me that my voice volume doesn't come in very well and that I sound either muffled or quiet or further away. I can apparently remedy the issue by connecting my bluetooth headset, and then the callers tell me that the volume level is louder and clearer. So I'm wondering if this might be a problem with the microphone itself or maybe the way that noise cancellation is being handled by the software. Since the call quality seems to be fine with the bluetooth headset, I don't believe this could be a network problem, but is there anyone else out there experiencing a similar issue at all?

Its a really small mic hole. Top and bottom. Check that nothing is lodged in there. Small piece of lint maybe??

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos