Screen Frozen - Lightning Bolt and Settings Icon?

Stevo O

Dec 17, 2014
Visit site
I had the exact same issue.

To resolve this problem follow these steps:

*Press and hold the power-off & volume down button together, the screen will go black after approx. 10 seconds
*when this does happen release the buttons and then hold-down the power-on button

Your phone will reboot as normal, no more lightening bolt & clog!

neondreamsxx

Jan 26, 2015
Visit site
The same has happened to me too! Actually nothing was even being updated or anything, its just that I shut the power off on my phone after listening to some music and then later come to find out that even though it was 80% charged, an white lightning bolt and settings button popped up. I tried holding down the button for 30 secs, I pressed the down volume button and the power button at the same time, and I tried aligning all the buttons so they weren't crooked- BUT THAT STILL DIDN'T HELP!!!! IF YOU HAVE ANY MORE SUGGESTIONS PLEASE LET ME KNOW BECAUSE NOTHING SO FAR IS WORKING RIGHT NOW!!!!!!!!! Thanks in advance :smile::unhappysweat:

Clint Teune

Jun 20, 2015
Visit site
I know this post is quite old, and my phone is a Nokia Lumia 520 and this thread is for the HTC, but my solution might help someone else.

I had been attempting to install the latest Windows Phone 10 preview and after I thought the process had completed, I tried to turn my phone on. Initially I had the phone in an infinite loop of installation gears for a few moments and then phone rebooted. I tried several times to do hard reset and nothing worked. I tried to use the windows phone recovery tool, but it couldnt detect my phone. In much frustration I just started pushing each button in turn on the phone to see if I could fluke some form of rest. Initially nothing worked until I finally got the Lightening bolt and gear icon. Thats when I found this thread.

I read the entire post and tried everything there, I still couldnt get my phone to work. So in desperation I tried the Windows Phone Recovery tool again and this time when it said that it couldnt detect my phone, I clicked on the link for "cant detect phone" and selected Nokia Lumia (I know this is the HTC thread, but this information might still apply). It still said that it couldnt find my phone, so I did a hard reset (volume down and power until vibrate and then release power and keep holding volume down). Then the Lightening bolt and gear icon were replaced with large NOKIA logo on the phone and the recovery software could detect my phone and allowed me to reinstall Windows Phone 8. So now my phone is working again and I am going through the process of upgrading to 8.1 and then I might try the Preview upgrade again

Sherry301985

Aug 27, 2015
Visit site
my phone did the same thing i took the sd card out and then put the battery back in and it came on now when i get a call i have to put it on speaker phone just to hear
the person talk and it goes in and out

flabbawiltz

Apr 22, 2016
Visit site
Hmm... I had the Lighting Boly picture before too. I think it appeared because I tried to hard reset my phone via the volume + lock buttons. However my battery was also dead or at least close being dead AND... I had my bluetooth bug (if I'd turn my BT on, my phone would restart forever and ever until the battery would die, and I couldn't turn BT off). I'm curious about that too!

Bittiboo

Oct 2, 2016
Visit site
Thank you so much!!!! Simple answer but it totally worked!!! I'm not versed in tech so this info is like the world to me!!!
Too much? Too Bad! HAHAHA!
Anyway I,m going to bookmark/favorite this page "just in case."
Again, much thanks!
Bittiboo
=D

fedeno58

Oct 16, 2016
Visit site
I had the same thing happen today. I was unable to restart the phone with the reset or power button. I did take the battery out and restarted the phone. At that time a message came through that I had an issue with my SD card and I allowed the phone to scan and check the SD card and the performance on my phone has much improved. I have a Lumia 950.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss