Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. jcagga's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    81 Posts
       #1  
    My Verizon red 8x drained 6% in 20 mins taking one screen shot, searched one person in Skype app and rest using wpcentral app. Is this normal? seems like my Dell Venue Pro does better in this regard minus screen shot feature
  2. sportrckr's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    96 Posts
    Global Posts
    112 Global Posts
    #2  
    Battery life seems to get better once it is calibrated. I would also recommend reading through this thread if you want to know some more battery life tricks: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
  3. ryan.kruger's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    323 Posts
    Global Posts
    354 Global Posts
    #3  
    The first week wasn't very kind to me, I got the feeling in my stomach that something wasn't right... The battery would drain VERY quickly. But now two weeks later, I'm finding myself through a whole work day with moderate use with 60% remaining. It's got to calibrate.
  4. Nagchampa~Noir's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    2 Posts
    Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by ryan.kruger View Post
    The first week wasn't very kind to me, I got the feeling in my stomach that something wasn't right... The battery would drain VERY quickly. But now two weeks later, I'm finding myself through a whole work day with moderate use with 60% remaining. It's got to calibrate.
    +1

    5 Days in and today was the first day that I ended my day with better than 60%. Average use kinda day.

    *Practiced the full charge > unplug > reboot > charge to full again suggestion over the last couple days.
  5. ryan.kruger's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    323 Posts
    Global Posts
    354 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by Nagchampa~Noir View Post
    +1

    *Practiced the full charge > unplug > reboot > charge to full again suggestion over the last couple days.
    Actually I've done this every day since reading about it. Alarm goes off in the morning, I turn off my phone, turn it back on - grab it before I leave. Not sure if this has anything to do with it, or if it's coincidental.

    I'm still not hitting my 2-year-old iPhone 4's battery life... But I'm giving it time. And this is at least acceptable.
  6. icstars989's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    204 Posts
    Global Posts
    281 Global Posts
    #6  
    We really need to get off this myth of "calibration" for Li-ion batteries. All calibration does now is just give you a more accurate reading, its not a way to squeeze more juice out of your battery. Battery memory doesn't apply to Li-ion batteries, only nickle based. You only want to do calibration every few months or when you notice your readings kinda go bonkers (li-ion shouldn't be completely discharged often.) This will do nothing more than give you an accurate reading, you're not going to suddenly get 6 more hours out of it.

    OP: Many things can cause battery drain, a bright screen probably being the biggest. LTE also drains quicker than 3G, things have got much better though in that department.
  7. Klaric's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    53 Posts
    #7  
    wp_ss_20121210_0001.png

    1.5 weeks in, battery life seems to be better.
  8. ryan.kruger's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    323 Posts
    Global Posts
    354 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by icstars989 View Post
    We really need to get off this myth of "calibration" for Li-ion batteries. All calibration does now is just give you a more accurate reading, its not a way to squeeze more juice out of your battery. Battery memory doesn't apply to Li-ion batteries, only nickle based. You only want to do calibration every few months or when you notice your readings kinda go bonkers (li-ion shouldn't be completely discharged often.) This will do nothing more than give you an accurate reading, you're not going to suddenly get 6 more hours out of it.

    OP: Many things can cause battery drain, a bright screen probably being the biggest. LTE also drains quicker than 3G, things have got much better though in that department.
    myth or not, my battery was terrible before, and doesn't suck now :)
  9. MojoHand69's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    75 Posts
    #9  
    I’ve had my 8X since November 16th. The only thing I recall doing immediately was turning off NFC. With my screen at medium brightness, I can easily make it through a full day and more with moderate use. Now if I am watching a ton of video or playing games like Civilization Revolution for hours, my battery drains very fast. I feel the battery life of my 8X is easily on par with iPhone 5 and very close to the 4S I use for work.

    That said, some have experienced 8X battery problems. If you feel you have a defective unit you should exchange for one that works properly.
    Thanked by:
    jcagga 
  10. Koato8's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    33 Posts
    Global Posts
    37 Global Posts
    #10  
    My first day the battery drained 26% while I slept, it got better the next couple of days. It may be that the in the box charge was "off" in some way?
  11. #11  
    Volts and Amps... There it becomes technical... But more amps is the key. Portico improves the battery by a good margin! My phone is doing great with the update!
    *** Forza Windows Phone 8 ***
    Many answers here in my battery tips & tricks post: http://forums.wpcentral.com/htc-8x/2...ps-htc-8x.html
    Please help me with my WP8 Sync App idea called "WP8 ClonePhone": http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...lonephone.html
  12. #12  
    Jeez if the "Portico" update gives even better battery life, I could be looking at day and a half on a charge.
  13. paulsnyder90's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    40 Posts
    Global Posts
    45 Global Posts
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Koato8 View Post
    My first day the battery drained 26% while I slept, it got better the next couple of days. It may be that the in the box charge was "off" in some way?
    I think this may actually have something to do with it. I've had mine for 6 days though. Right now my battery level says I'm at 61% but the actual meter at the top
    of my start screen looks around 81%.
  14. jcagga's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    81 Posts
       #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by MojoHand69 View Post
    Ive had my 8X since November 16th. The only thing I recall doing immediately was turning off NFC. With my screen at medium brightness, I can easily make it through a full day and more with moderate use. Now if I am watching a ton of video or playing games like Civilization Revolution for hours, my battery drains very fast. I feel the battery life of my 8X is easily on par with iPhone 5 and very close to the 4S I use for work.

    That said, some have experienced 8X battery problems. If you feel you have a defective unit you should exchange for one that works properly.
    Yea maybe I should exchange it because I just can't make it through a day with moderate use with low bright setting, no Skype app installed, turned off NFC the day I got the device... The only thing I didn't turn on is location setting, which I think it doesn't really drain the battery much. I got a feeling that Verizons lte is one the main cause for bad battery.
  15. jhguth's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    580 Posts
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    #15  
    The calibration is for the software to be able to predict how long the battery will last and show the right percentage, it's not actually the battery changing or calibrating.

    Ive had zero issues, lasts all day for me
  16. #16  
    LTE drains power, try 3G or 2G when you don't need LTE. LTE kills the battery if the reception is bad.

Similar Threads

  1. Importing the Verizon 8X to Europe - questions
    By longlifexs in forum HTC 8X
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-09-2012, 05:36 PM
  2. Titan Owners, battery question??
    By campbellc in forum HTC TITAN
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 03-26-2012, 01:35 PM
  3. Stupid battery question: is 1500 or 1750mAh stronger?
    By baseballbert in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 11-26-2011, 08:40 AM
  4. Another battery question
    By duke1231 in forum Samsung Focus
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-02-2011, 09:11 PM
  5. Verizon trophy battery
    By kregstrong in forum Windows Phone Accessories
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 07-18-2011, 10:43 AM

Posting Permissions