How to make a playlist?

wkulen

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
Can anyone explain how can I make a playlist? When i hook my phone to my laptop, i still can't use the option
add a playlist?

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
As far as I know you have to use Windows Media Player, or something like it, to create and sync a playlist over. Neither of the windows phone apps let you create one, though the desktop app will let you sync them. It's not dynamic though, so if you change the playlist it won't update it on your phone. You need to use WMP or something like it for that.

busngabb

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site
You can make them on the phone itself. You do this by adding songs to your now playing list then pressing the three dots and going to 'save as playlist'. You can then add songs to it by playing the playlist and then playing the song you want to add then repeating the three dots step. You cant remove songs or edit the playlist though.

Its a horrible implementation of such a basic and important feature. Trying so hard to be different to Google and Apple and failing spectacularly.

Was playlist management this bad on windows phone 7?

jaethos

Jan 6, 2011
Visit site
On the phone, yes, it's always been terrible. Making and syncing playlists with Zune on WP7 is simple and easy though. It's pretty much how I did all of my music syncing. Make a playlist, including auto playlists and subscription music, and sync it over. It was easy, powerful and painless. The WP8 implementation was like a punch to the face after that.

ExcaliburII

Jul 9, 2009
Visit site
the easiest way is to create them through Windows media player.

- plug phone into computer.
- Open media player
- Click on playlists, then create new
- drag all songs you want in that playlist there.
- drag the playlist over to the phone (on the right hand side of media player)
- click on start sync on right hand side above phone

Had to figure this out for my wife, so don't think I'll forget it any time soon, hehe:):evil:

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
The inability to remove songs from a playlist while in the phone is really terrible. I had an Optimus 7 since WP launched but never used it a music player. With the 8X I started using it for music as well, ditching my old iPod Nano 3G.

I was scratching my head trying to remove songs from the now playing list before saving it as a new playlist but I gave up. It's not possible and I still wonder why Microsoft didn't incorporate this basic playing capability. Hopefully they can fix it with an update.

IntellectForHire

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Newbie here?both to the forums and to Windows Phone 8. I replaced my aging a BB a month ago and was uncomfortable with what I was hearing about Google's mining of user data. As for the iOS devices, I generally resist bandwagons and the Apple brand/community is becoming a poster-child for the triumph of style over substance.

I know this is a Nokia Lumia 920 thread, but this is where I found the clues that led to my workaround, so it seemed like the place to share. Though I have the Nokia Lumia 822, I see no obvious reason why it should not work on other Windows 8 phones. The workaround I found uses a playlist created on the phone and then edits it using your Windows PC. I have tested it with both WinXP at home (Tablet PC Edition 2005-still working fine, thank you very much) and on the Win7 machines we have at work.

The first step is to create a playlist on your phone. From your phone?s music library, select an album with several songs that you will want in your final playlist and add it to the ?Now Playing? feature. From the ?Now Playing? screen, save the ?Now Playing? list as a playlist, and give it a suitable name.
Next, connect your phone to your computer. Navigate to your phone in (My)Computer (Figure 1 in the attached pdf). Open up the ?Phone? and make your way down through the hierarchy from ?Music? to ?Playlist? (Figures 2 and 3). Open the ?Playlist? folder and right click the playlist you just created (Figure 4). From the shortcut menu, click on ?Properties? (?Open? may work too).

Click on the ?References? tab and you should see something like what is shown in Figure 5?DO NOT CLOSE THAT DIALOG BOX?yet.

Without closing any open windows, from (My)Computer, navigate to your SD card?or wherever your music is stored on the phone (Figure 6) and from there it is a simple matter of dragging the tracks to the dialog box in Figure 5. Make sure the tracks are ones actually on the phone (or the micro-SD card in your phone) not from your PC?s music library. If there are songs you do not want in your finished playlist, just click the red ?X? with the undesired tracks selected to remove them from the playlist.

When you are finished, click the ?Okay? button of the ?Properties? dialog box.

After closing all the open windows, properly eject/disconnect the phone and power it down completely. After a 10 count (that is as high as I know how to count), power up your phone again. Your new playlist should now be available on your phone.

I do hope this same functionality will be in future updates. My workaround lacks elegance, but it works for me until I get a Win8 machine with my tax refund. I hope you find it useful as well. :excited:

Attachments

• Win Phone 8 Playlist Figures.pdf
    358.8 KB · Views: 23

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGlucoPremium