HTC 8X is the best Windows Phone 8

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, not its not. Its better than 8S and 820 etc, but the worst of the top of the line ones like Ativ S and 920.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Memory card, battery and price come to mind. Camera is a little better too, AFAIK. Not a huge win, I agree. But still. That vs Beatz can easily tip the scales towards the Ativ.

martan1981#WN

Apr 14, 2011
Visit site
I own 8x for a week and the edges aretoo sharp. Don't think it's so great phone. Specs are ok, but it was designed by idiot.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Personally I loathe the design of the 8X, but the 8S looks awesome :) .

jaj: no, not really. Its plain common sense, really.
The 8X vs Ativ S is kind of close, its basically beatz vs battery/camera/memorycard/price, which (and this is just a hunch) i think tips it in favour of the Ativ S, but that is just my opinion.
While its debateable wether 8X or Ativ S are the 2nd best, neither can reach the 920 by pure features alone, and thats not an opinion, thats just... how that works.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
No Nokia / HTC wars... Pick the one you like and that is that. For each WP7/8 they sell 24 non WP. That is what Apple wants, that Nokia and HTC fanboys tear each other up. Thx.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
Eh, its a slow day. And I dont like nonfactual thread titles that may mislead an innoncent consumer.
if you don't like NONFACTUAL threads then don't quote your opinion as fact. It is NOT a fact that the 920 is a better phone than the 8x. It may be your misguided opinion but that far from makes it a fact. The opinion expressed in the original article that started this thread is much different than yours.........and it's the opinion of experts.

we judged the HTC 8X to be the best Windows Phone 8 handset available in the first part of our ultimate smartphone guide. The HTC 8X simply gives us more reason to take Windows Phone 8 seriously than any other handset has before.

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
It happens to be the opinion of several "experts" who write articles and review phones, not my opinion per se. Though I agree, due to the evidence of it all. The 920 simply has more and better features.

"Andrew is an Associate Writer at Ars Technica, where he began writing about IT, software, gadgets, and other topics in March of 2012. He received his bachelor’s degree in Classics from Kenyon College in Gambier, Ohio, and is a reformed IT professional with over five years of experience in the field. His work has appeared on Charge Shot!!! and AnandTech. Andrew's other interests include gaming, copy editing, good TV, bad movies, and cold IPAs."

Doesnt seem like an expert any more than I am, to be honest, but thats beside the point.

Look, dont get mad and upset, Im just saying that this "expert" is flat out wrong, as evident by facts and the opinions of other "experts". Saying the 8X is the best windows phone 8 device is like saying that Saab makes the best cars. They just dont.

Just because he wrote it in an article, does not make it so.
In the article linked he even gets the MP of the 920 wrong.
He also doesnt even consider the Ativ S when doing this "ultimate smartphone guide", which is strange but not overly so. I can see that, as its a bit later in launch.
Here is his argument for why the 8X is SO much better than the Nokia that it cancels out wireless charging, nokia music, nokia camera apps, the pureview camera, the build quality, etcetera:
"i dont like that its big".

Thats it.

Wow, that sounds real scientific. Now THATS an opinion, and a ridicolous one at that.
Ill concede that the 8X has a better grip, it really does. However, the 920 is far from the icecube-slippery anvilweighted doomsdaydevice he seems to pawn it off as, as most users will attest.
The fact that he has some special way of holding a device that he feels is more comfortable with the 8X does not a good argument make.
If you use something for a while, you get into a habit. His habit clearly has evolved a grip that is inconsistent with the 920. Others will handle the phone differently and not have any issues with either phone, or have issue with the 8Xs body when it comes to handling.

So the argument is this:

All nokia drive, nokia music, the pureview camera, the bigger internal memory, the wireless charging, all the nokia exclusive camera extras

vs

"i hold my pinky just so, and i feel like i might drop the 920 under certain conditions, thus the 8x is the best WP8 device".

That doesnt hold up in any court.

PS: yes Im kinda bored, dont take it all so seriously, 8X is a nice phone and I do hope it sells well :p .

PPS: Larry, stop pointing that f*cking gun at my dad!

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
That's alot words when the reality is this. Saying that the 920 is better than the 8x or vice-versa is like saying that a Corvette is better than a Dodge Viper. Some like the vette and some like the Viper. Neither is better and both are better.

"The man you just killed was just released from prison. He got caught at a company warehouse full of hot items. He could've f#@&in' walked. All he had to do was say my dad's name, but he didn't; he kept his f#@&ing mouth shut. And did his f#$@in' time, and he did it like a man. He did four years for us. So, Mr. Orange, you're tellin' me this very good friend of mine, who did four years for my father, who in four years never made a deal, no matter what they dangled in front of him, you're telling me that now, that now this man is free, and we're making good on our commitment to him, he's just gonna decide, out of the f#@&ing blue, to rip us off? Why don't you tell me what really happened?"

Slai

Nov 27, 2012
Visit site
Hm to some extent, if the Dodge Viper and the Corvette were exactly alike, except the Dodge Viper had improvements and gadgets the Corvette didnt. Some might still like the Corvette, and thats obviously fine. But saying the Corvette is the best one, and saying the Viper is worse even when its the same only with MORE features, is just flat out wrong.

"Listen kid, I'm not gonna bull**** you, all right?
I don't give a good **** what you know, or don't know, but I'm gonna torture you anyway, regardless.
Not to get information. It's amusing, to me, to torture a cop.
You can say anything you want cause I've heard it all before.
All you can do is pray for a quick death, which you ain't gonna get. "

BotanicalStig

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Nokia wins in features, failures miserably in build quality. If I ever get my fourth one it is likely going to get sold before I even open it. These three 920's have been the ****tiest phones I've ever owned. THREE phones with DIFFERENT defects right out of the box? You may have been one of the lucky ones, but look around the forums to see how many people here have had multiple 920's broken out of the box. That doesn't scream, "BEST WP8 EVAR YO!" to me.

Now that's my opinion. I understand people preferring features over a solid phone out of the box. Nobody else should really care what I think, but since the rest of you are sharing, I decided to throw my 2 cents in as well.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
Memory card, battery and price come to mind. Camera is a little better too, AFAIK. Not a huge win, I agree. But still. That vs Beatz can easily tip the scales towards the Ativ.

Not to mention it's made by Samsung. Oooh.. That ought to get the sales going

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb