HTC Broken promises UK 8X Users - Bit of a rant.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Right youve no doubt seen me posting in the reboots thread and other numerous threads about problems with the 8x and have probably noted that I had said I was getting a replacement. Well...

Im still stuck with my rebooting, shutting down, sim erroring 8x. I have removed every possible app that I can. I dont run wifi, dont run bluetooth dont have any apps in the background and my phone sits idle nearly all day because I only use it for calls and texts and I still get problems.
I was assured a new handset would be sent to me 24 days ago by a Senior Manager at HTC Europe. The day before the scheduled delivery he emailed me telling me that no stock was available. He then puts me into the HTC customer care system. A week passes. Get told by the customer care after numerous back and fourth messages regarding stock that a new phone would be dispatched on the Friday. Get an email Thursday cancelling the delivery but im not given any reason. Get a call on the Friday explaining again that they have no stock. Another week passes to this week where I get a call on the Monday saying they now have stock and will dispatch a phone for delivery on Wednesday - but it can only be in black - not the blue that i currently have and love - when i question the status of the other colours I get told that they have no clue when stock will arrive. Tuesday night at 1730 I get an email cancelling the delivery because they have no stock.

So ive been given 3 delivery dates after being told there is stock only to be told the day before delivery that there isnt any.

I have noted that at any point over this 24 day period I could have walked into any O2 store and got my phone swapped and stock seems to be readily available in most other phone outlets I have been in.

You may question why I havent done so already. HTC were insistent the whole time that a replacement phone would be with me soon and that they wanted my phone for testing.

I have been polite and courteous in all my correspondance with HTC unitl yesterday when I decided to write a ranty email (still polite) to the Senior Manager I spoke with originally saying how ridiculous the situation is and that a multinational company cant keep track of stock and in the period that has passed I could have got a replacement phone shipped direct from Taiwan in a shorter time. I also metioned that I intend to leave HTC and transfer my contract to another manufacturer. I got a response today offering an understanding of my frustration and sympathy of the situation. Still no word on when a new phone will arrive though.

So what Im trying to find out is...

Have any 8X users in the UK had the same issue with HTC? I would like to try and get a rough number of people that are having the same problem.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you ask for an unlocked phone... If they can not give you a O2 one, ask for a unlocked one. Keep pushing... HTC will exchange your unit is they say they will.

DuncanF62

Nov 4, 2012
Visit site
I found O2 to be more helpful than HTC. The best HTC could offer me was to pickup my phone and at some future date (!) deliver a new one. I told them no as I was not prepared to be without my phone as it is a business tool. That's the last contact I had with them.

I'm just installing the update as I type, but if I continue to get reboot issues, then I will push O2 for a (second) replacement as I see others who have not had the reboot issue.

In both cases I fired off e-mails to the CEO. The O2 senior customer support team are v. good, HTC not so much.

benryder

Nov 3, 2012
Visit site
Similar situation here, but thankfully not as bad as you. The last conversation I had was that the blue 8x would be available on the 21st December.

Incidentally I'm still experiencing reboots since the recent software and firmware update.

Ben.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well im updating mine now. But im a bit loathed to reload all the apps ive deleted just for the reboots to inscrease again. Since all my apps are gone and nothing is running in the background im only getting 2 to 3 a day rather than the 15 to 20 i was getting with the phone set up as i wanted it.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
So you are saying you are happy with your phone?

The first two weeks when it worked perfectly... Yes. Now and after the way HTC have messed me about no. It doesnt bode well if things go wrong with the phone in future. I am kind of hoping that the update doesnt work and HTC continue to break promises. with the Ativ S due for release any day I think ive got a good case to take to O2 for a phone swap

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
veteran Titan owners could have told you, NEVER expect anything out of HTC.

I had an HTC HD7 from day 1 of the windows 7 phone launch in the UK and never had an issue with it, Not a scratch on it and that phone went through **** over two years. Survived more drops than i remember and a new born baby. So was perfectly happy to go with the 8X and HTC again. Although with the issues Ive had and googling people with other complaints against HTC I can see where they get a slightly tarnished reputation.

utopiate

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
wow I had read about the reboot issue prior to getting my 8X but luckily mine is fine. I'm on 3 in the UK and had a faulty Samsung Galaxy S a few years back, got a replacement through 3 which had the same fault so obviously a manufacturing issue. Its what prompted my move to WP7 (Omnia 7) and havent looked back since. My advice is to go through your carrier, that is if you are on a contract.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Well since I ran the updates on Friday I've had no issues at all. Phone is fully loaded with all my previous apps, everything is logged in and running in the background, WiFi permanently on Bluetooth permanently on and have been heavily using it. One other bonus from the update now seems like I've got super battery life. Have gone over a day since last charge with heavy use all day and im sitting on 52% battery left. All looking pretty good so far
Sent from my Windows 8 device using Board Express

king roger

Dec 18, 2012
Visit site
Mine rebooted at least once a day if not more since I've had it. I've only noticed it reboot once since I installed the update a few days ago, so its an improvement but still not perfect. Htc been pretty good contacting me so not too unhappy. Lack of apps like logmein and nokia drive is my biggest annoyance now.

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I still think that some 8X and Lumia 920 got a batch of faulty SOC modules... If the fix does not fix your reboots, go for an exchange!
I think both HTC and Nokia pushed the envelope here to be on the market with Windows 8.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
Mine has stopped rebooting but recently has been getting the sim error about once a day/

Easiest way to fix your SIM errors is to take the sim out give it a wipe, blow in the slot then put it back in. Someone else suggested it a week or two ago before the update came out. Got to admit with all the removing of my sim cards and swapping between my data only and standard sim i never thought to give the sim slot a blow to remove anything that may have got in there. It fixed the problem for me straight away. Not saying it will fix your problem but give it a try.

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I still think that some 8X and Lumia 920 got a batch of faulty SOC modules... If the fix does not fix your reboots, go for an exchange!
I think both HTC and Nokia pushed the envelope here to be on the market with Windows 8.

Yeah it does seem there are still some handsets with issues even after the updates.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786