Data Connection Issue on Verizon 8X

Camaroon

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I was wondering if anyone else has had this particular issue the last couple of days. I've had my 8X for about a month with Verizon and haven't noticed any 3G or LTE data connections problems at all. But yesterday, when I was driving to work, Twitter wouldn't load and when I tried to ID a song the phone said it couldn't connect to data. But when I got to my office and went on wi-fi, everything was fine. So I tried it again this morning and sure enough I couldn't refresh Twitter and the song ID gave me the same error. But emails seemed to be coming in. I had to make a stop this time before I got to work and this location had LTE coverage so I tried again, and this time both worked! So it seems like it was just an issue with the 3G connection but not entirely sure since this I just noticed the distinction today. I'm in Westchester county, NY. Anyone else?

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Now that u mention it... I noticed this the last few days too. And I was on WiFi. Reboot fixed it. (manual reboot)

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
This sounds like a similar issue to what is described in this thread: http://forums.windowscentral.com/ht...-connectivity-when-traveling.html#post1790097.

I personally have noticed this issue, but for me it's only happened when driving long distances. It doesn't seem to be related to switching from 3g to LTE or from getting no signal. It seems to be more likely related to the phone not recovering from roam properly, but doing a restart seems to fix the issue.

Camaroon

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
I did reboot the phone but I don't remember where I was when I did it. Like if I reconnected to 3G or if I was on one of my saved Wifi networks. And in my area I never roam but I do switch from 3G to LTE pretty often, with the occasional 1X connection mixed in. Another intersting thing today, since I've had the phone I don't recall ever getting LTE coverage at my office, it's either 3G or 1X, but today I have LTE. Not very strong but it's there. And of course, while I'm typing this the phone is going between 3G and 1X, so maybe Verizon is working on some things?

The other strange thing I've noticed a couple of times is sometimes when I get sent a picture or video text, the phone won't automatically download the attachment, it makes me click on a link to do it and a couple times, as recently as yesterday, it would not download the picture. No matter how many times I tried, or whether I was on wifi or not, it wouldn't download it. Last night my father-in-law sent me a picture that it refused to download. It wouldn't even do it after rebooting. The text just sat there saying "downloading attachment..." and I was on my home wifi.

MojoHand69

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Last week I started having LTE connection issues with my 8X. I felt it was odd as it would keeping switching between LTE, 3G & 1X. I also had trouble syncing my email and doing any data related tasks. I rebooted a couple times and this seemed to help for a short time. I finally called VZW and they had me shutdown my phone and reassigned my 8X to their network. My phone has been fine ever since. The VZW Rep said if this continues to happen they will switch out my phone with another 8X. I am unsure if this is an 8X issue or a VZW network issue.

Camaroon

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
sportrckr, just took a look through that other thread. It's really interesting to see all this.

MojoHand69 (awesome handle btw), thanks for that info. This defintiely seems to be what's going on with me. When you say that VZW had you shut down the phone and they reassigned your 8X, what do you mean? Was it an easy call? We all know how VZW support can be.

MojoHand69

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, it took 5 minutes. I turned the phone off and they did something on their end. They bascially assigned my phone back to the network just like they did when I first activated the phone. It has worked fine since but they told me to monitor the phone. The entire call took 5 minutes.

riquejohnson

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I think it was a Verizon issue because the same thing happened to me and I have a Trophy. I called Verizon, they had me remove the battery...they did their thing. Afterwards, my Trophy has been fine. I had also been having problems sending txt prior to calling Verizon.

MojoHand69

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Just out of curiosity, had they indicated they had others calling about this?

The VZW Rep did not say that other 8X owners were calling about this issue. As a point reference, my Thunderbolt was having similar issues before I moved to the 8X, so it may be a VZW network problem as riquejohnson indicated.

Camaroon

Dec 30, 2011
Visit site
So I just called VZW to have them do what they did for your phones. I had the rep look into it a bit and she said that there are reported data outages in upper NYC, Westchester, Bronx, and Putnum. So it's a known issue and they're working to resolve it. That's certainly a relief! I really didn't want to have to get a new phone and set it all up again. I've finally got most of my tiles the way I want them! Thanks for all the responses today, you guys have been a big help!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills