Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 8 of 8
  1. tofu.'s Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    249 Posts
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
       #1  
    I guess you'd need a somewhat accurate multimeter to measure this. Does anyone have one handy?

    I believe proper line level voltage should measure 200-250mV


    Since windows phone 8 decided not to support any popular usb audio standards, most of us are stuck using the headphone jack to connect to our amps (car or home stereo). I think this might be good info for us.


    Also, does anyone know if enabling beats audio uses a better DAC or if it's just an amp+equalizer (which is useless if you're plugging your phone into an amp)
  2. juanitoriv's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    989 Posts
    #2  
    All good questions Tofu.. I've a multimeter, but not one that measures out that low..
    From the CO and my 8X
  3. tofu.'s Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    249 Posts
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
       #3  
    i contacted HTC about this and the rep said he'd escalate my question to higher level people who could answer it, but I haven't heard back yet :(


    I think the "beats audio" amp is always active. It wouldn't make sense to put two amps in the phone.

    enabling beats likely just does EQ and a gain increase (although i heard after the latest update that beats no longer sounds louder, so it may just be EQ now). perhaps even some dynamics compression which is why people think they hear more detail.
  4. #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by tofu. View Post
    i contacted HTC about this and the rep said he'd escalate my question to higher level people who could answer it, but I haven't heard back yet :(


    I think the "beats audio" amp is always active. It wouldn't make sense to put two amps in the phone.

    enabling beats likely just does EQ and a gain increase (although i heard after the latest update that beats no longer sounds louder, so it may just be EQ now). perhaps even some dynamics compression which is why people think they hear more detail.
    It enhances bass, restores lost information from compression and has virtualization effects similar to what SRS and Dolby headphone provides.
  5. tofu.'s Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    249 Posts
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
       #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by eric12341 View Post
    It enhances bass, restores lost information from compression and has virtualization effects similar to what SRS and Dolby headphone provides.
    how does it restore lost information from compression?

    that's not possible...
  6. chris7191's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    34 Posts
    #6  
    Proper line out level is 2V RMS. To measure you need a true RMS multimeter or an oscilloscope. Play around a 100 Hz sine wave and measure.

    In practice, the best thing to do is turn up the volume on the phone as loud as you can without causing clipping in the device you are connecting to.
    Thanked by:
  7. juanitoriv's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    989 Posts
    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by chris7191 View Post
    Proper line out level is 2V RMS. To measure you need a true RMS multimeter or an oscilloscope. Play around a 100 Hz sine wave and measure.

    In practice, the best thing to do is turn up the volume on the phone as loud as you can without causing clipping in the device you are connecting to.
    Thanks much Chris. I agree with you too..
    From the CO and my 8X
  8. tofu.'s Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    249 Posts
    Global Posts
    258 Global Posts
       #8  
    here is the response i got

    "We have requested the information you asked for, but our corporate office has advised us that this information is proprietary and we would not be able to provide you with the information you're looking for. I apologize for the inconvenience. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can assist you with today. Thank you for contacting HTC and have a wonderful day!"

    that irks me... they can't tell me what volume level to use for 2v output? or if their beats audio is just an EQ or actual hardware upgrades?

    they couldn't answer whether or not i should be using beats for the most unaltered signal? (i already knew the answer to this one)

    seems a bit shady to me.

Similar Threads

  1. Analog line out and DAC for the Lumia 920
    By ripple23 in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-10-2014, 05:12 AM
  2. Replies: 13
    Last Post: 04-25-2012, 03:20 AM
  3. MOSKITO app for WP7 keep moskitos out !
    By zkhazaka in forum App Spotlight
    Replies: 12
    Last Post: 11-25-2011, 08:29 AM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-15-2011, 09:24 PM

Posting Permissions