HTC 8X issue with text, email, phone calls

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I uninstalled skype and did not have problem today. I know just one day but will keep checking. I know previous poster does not have skype installed so kinda blows my hope :(

I called htc yesterday and they say not them but I could send my phone to them (no replacement or loaner) and they would take apart to see what was going on and fix and then send back....told him was not going a week+ without a phone.

macros_1

Aug 30, 2012
Visit site
Went through a crazy ordeal on this over the past week. I just saw this thread, so I didn't know the issue was widespread.

1/28/13 - Called HTC and they said the issue sounded like a carrier issue. Told me to ask Tmo to reprovision my account.
1/28/13 - Called Tmo and they said the issue was reported and added my information to a master ticket. Told me that I would receive a call back on Thursday.
1/31/13 - No Call Back.
2/01/13 - Called Tmo. Said issue had been resolved on Wednesday. I let them know it couldn't have been as I had the issue on Thursday. Further research showed that the issue was not the same as the master issue they tied to my account. Told me the issue was with HTC and I needed to call them. Said Tmo had notified HTC of this issue and HTC was working on a fix.
2/01/13 - Called HTC. HTC had no idea what I was talking about in reference to the Tmo issue. Had no record of any open issues with the 8x on Tmo. Told me issue sounded like a carrier issue and to try a new SIM. Asked to escalate to higher level. Higher level said same thing, showed no record of any open issue. Asked to speak to manager. Manager said no record of any open issue, contact Tmo. If Tmo will not resolve, I could send my phone in for repair.
2/01/13 - Called Tmo. Let them know HTC had no record of issue. Rep told me to try using WiFi calling....WTF? This rep could find no record of any open issue with the 8x on Tmo's side. Said phone was defective. Asked to speak to Manager. Worst manager ever. Asked for options, either give me an ETA on a fix, a discount on a different phone, or let me out of contract. Hung up on me.
2/01/13 - Called Tmo back. The rep found the issue in their system again. Said it is a problem with all 8x's and there was nothing he could do. Has to do with going in and out of network coverage (makes no sense as it happens at my house where I have 5 bars). He then reiterated that HTC was working on the issue and transferred me to customer service. Offered me loyalty discount of $90 on new full price phone. Offered to replace 8x with new 8x that will have same issue.

I'm not really sure what has happened to Tmo, how can a defect like this pass their QA? On 2/02/13, I went out and bought a Lumia 810 and will sell the replacement 8x that is being sent to recoup my costs. Over two months of this issue with no resolution is more than enough for me as I need a phone that works 100% of the time. I wish you all good luck though, I hope HTC is actually working on a fix.

Corbin Mitchell

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I have also been posting on the T-Mobile USA forums, so far the fix for me has been to disable Visual Voicemail and set the phone to '2G'. It has been a week and the phone has been receiving calls and text messages as it should with no issues. I suppose I can live with that until they have a fix since I usually have access to WiFi, but they really need to get this resolved.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
I have seen post of it happening at at&t and with 920 as well. Maybe MS issue.

**I went by tmobile and got them to replace sim card again and have uninstalled skype. 3 days and no prob...yet.

gurux

Jan 29, 2013
Visit site
Let us know if the replacement has the issue. I can't believe that all the phones have this issue. There would be a bigger uproar.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Just to follow up. I thought the replacement was behaving better since I went ~5 days w/ no issue (At least none that I noticed), but over the weekend it happened again, so as far as I can tell the replacement has the exact same problem.

onlywaytomo

Jan 28, 2011
Visit site
I haven't had the problem in a while but I didn't do much and I sometime toggle airplane mode so I dont know
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

Kevinbear

Feb 13, 2013
Visit site
Just wanted to include another "Me too" (HTC Windows Phone 8x on T-Mobile USA). It's very annoying because besides missing texts and calls, the phone is otherwise working "normally" so you have no idea it's in this state until someone gets a hold of you through some other means and asks why you aren't responding. I just got a replacement phone today from T-Mobile because of this and another issue, but now that I see this thread I'm not hopeful the replacement will be any different.

I have a Nokia lumia 900 and I am on my third phone. the original was hard reset three times with a new Sim with no resolution. Warranty with AT&T sent me 2 additional 900's the last one running 7.8 and all exhibit the exact problem you describe. email stuck syncing email and while it infinitely says it is synching, no texts successfully send or receive. the only resolution is to reboot the device. I just replaced the sim again with no resolution.

I'm on with warranty service trying them to send me a new 920 or 820 with hopes that fixes the issue, but not sure they want to work with me. the rep I am talking to is giving me the run around. getting a supervisor now. If a new phone running 8 has the problem then I will conclude it is a software glitch with WP 7.5, 7.8 and 8.

my theory is that if it still repros on new wp8 phone than the problem is with the types of email accounts I am using like pop3 or Comcast requiring secure ssl. or it has to do with the antenna software handles low bandwidth network strength.

briant1

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
This problem has been plaguing all three 8x phones in my house. It happens every day. I spent a lot of time trying to find a root cause, and I finally found something that seems to be at least related, if not the cause.

Every time this happens, I can go into Settings -> Email+Accounts, and my Microsoft account is in the process of syncing. It goes on for a very long time, and while it's happening, texts do not work, chat goes offline, and my other email accounts will not sync. For example, I can open up Yahoo or Gmail, and type an email. But when I hit send, it errors that it is unable to send at this time. If I type a text and hit send, nothing happens. The exact same behavior happens on the other two phones.

I have changed my account sync for the Microsoft account to once per day, and now the problem happens only once per day when that account syncs. Exactly the same after making the same changes on the other two phones. The only way I have found to reliably fix it is to toggle data on and off (airplane mode), and then reboot the phone. This process has fixed all three phones each time they do this.

Not sure what is going on with the Microsoft account sync, but it seems to be tied to the issues we are having.

Update:

Since the Portico update, this issue has completely gone away on all three phones.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3