Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

My bet is HTC is licensing Nokia Drive for general navigation/maps functionality - and rebranding it as HTC Locations..possibly with one or two customizations as development funds permit.

Global Posts
    4 Global Posts
    Nice sharing

Global Posts
    114 Global Posts
    I bought Navigon USA but it looks like it doesn't work in the background like Drive does (I have an 822) too. Is there something I'm missing?
    Developer

Quote Originally Posted by dogfish54 View Post
    I have to agree, but I don't know what the business model is here. I am sure Nokia would rather you buy a Nokia phone than just buy Nokia Drive from the store. They also don't want to directly compete with Garmin, Navigon etc. who use their maps in their navigation programs / devices. So if Nokia starts undercutting everyone on GPS apps, then they are going to hurt their NUMEROUS partners who buy their maps. So this is really a much bigger than HTC Windows phones, it's a big part of Nokia's business.

In saying that, I don't know why the heck they said they'd offer it to other OEM's. Clearly they couldn't work out the right deal / terms. It's really hurt Nokia in a lot of ways because I think a lot of people bought the 8X over another device, thinking they may get Nokia Drive. People that have bought the 8X under that assumption are also unsure who to be angry with, Nokia? HTC? Microsoft? In the end, you just don't get what you wanted.

It's easy for me to say 'just buy the Nokia', but I get that if you want an HD Screen on Verizon you only have one choice. In saying that, there is going to be more and more stuff coming from Nokia. Going forward it seems there will be more options for devices though.
    I don't think Nokia was planning on selling Nokia Drive directly to users, they were probably trying to license it to other OEMs because that means they get paid for each device sold without the need to convince users to buy the app. If HTC's Locations uses the same offline maps that would mean they did work out some deal but HTC doesn't want a Nokia app on their phones.

I assume what you meant is that Nokia saying Drive will be offered to other OEMs might have lost them some sales because consumers figured they'll get it anyway, but anyone who heard that statement probably also knew it's not a done deal.

Global Posts
    156 Global Posts
    sucks about nokia drive not being available on other manufacturer handsets(understandable) but at the same time people on the htc hd2 that shipped with window mobile 6.5 can run wp 7.8 with the full suite of nokia apps lol

My wife installed Navigon on her "HTC WP 8X" and loves it. I have it on my Nokia WP 822. I've mentioned this on another forum, I have researched and tried a number of GPS software programs on mobile over the years and I think Navigon is the best and is the most full featured. It has been on sale for $29 (down from $49) recently. I think it is worth many times that price. A few of the key features: It uses NAVTEQ maps. They are owned by Nokia and I think they are also the best maps. The software downloads the maps to your phone so you don't lose navigation when you lose your data connection. It has voice directions including street names and lane change guidance. There is also Speed Limit data and adjustable speeding warnings. There are traffic information functions, but I haven't investigated how that works or if it works in the USA. And more...
    Thanked by:

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Rush View Post
    My wife installed Navigon on her "HTC WP 8X" and loves it. I have it on my Nokia WP 822. I've mentioned this on another forum, I have researched and tried a number of GPS software programs on mobile over the years and I think Navigon is the best and is the most full featured. It has been on sale for $29 (down from $49) recently. I think it is worth many times that price. A few of the key features: It uses NAVTEQ maps. They are owned by Nokia and I think they are also the best maps. The software downloads the maps to your phone so you don't lose navigation when you lose your data connection. It has voice directions including street names and lane change guidance. There is also Speed Limit data and adjustable speeding warnings. There are traffic information functions, but I haven't investigated how that works or if it works in the USA. And more...
    I was going to purchase this today. Price went back up to $49.99

Navigon in the UK is priced at 73.99 which equates to 120 us dollars. That isn't an option and a free app like all other platforms have would be fantastic. Where is Nokia Drive? And where is HTC Locations?

Global Posts
    316 Global Posts
    I'm jumping ship to AT&T to get the Lumia 920. Nokia Drive made the decision easier, but Verizon disabling group messaging is plain ridiculous.

Problem somewhat solved by release of rebranded HERE Maps under NavTeq auspices in late Feb 2013:
    Nokia Here mapping and nav available to HTC 8X and all Windows Phone 8 devices - Pocket-lint

Remaining shortfalls discussed here:
    http://forums.wpcentral.com/windows-...drive-now.html
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12