Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Daniel Ratcliffe

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I used my 8x Internet Sharing (tethering) the other day and in a couple hours of use, used 2 gigs of my data plan.

I am assuming this is from background tasks on my computer like Dropbox, etc. because I was only using it for very simple web email and surfing.

Does anyone know of a desktop application that will stop all background tasks/processes for when I am tethered so I don't burn up all my data?

Thank you for help
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,476 Global Posts
    If you're using Windows 8, there is an option to set a connection as a "metered" connection. That might help.

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."
    Laura Knotek likes this.
    Developer

Global Posts
    1,306 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by tfracs33 View Post
    I used my 8x Internet Sharing (tethering) the other day and in a couple hours of use, used 2 gigs of my data plan.

I am assuming this is from background tasks on my computer like Dropbox, etc. because I was only using it for very simple web email and surfing.

Does anyone know of a desktop application that will stop all background tasks/processes for when I am tethered so I don't burn up all my data?

Thank you for help

Which carrier are you on and does the tethering cost you extra to have that ability?

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    I did not pay extra for tethering when I had T-mobile
    (I tether on Verizon now but I don't pay the bill so I have no idea)

Global Posts
    102 Global Posts
    I am on Verizon and there is no charge per se, but I now have a data cap (which I never had on sprint) and when I tether, its eating up all my data

Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paladinleeds View Post
    If you're using Windows 8, there is an option to set a connection as a "metered" connection. That might help.
    yes, if youre not using windows 8 then youll have to search around. the win 8 metered options is the only thing built in that would do this unless you just turn off apps that background sync.
    I didn't have to pay for tethering on my hd7 now on the 8X it won't let me tether, not cool.