Battery drain help

Garghas

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I have my new 8X for 3 days now. I've done 3 full charges since i bought it but the fact is that my battery drains to fast, around 5% hours, with minimal use (just some sms). I uninstalled Skype because I read somewhere it could be it, but to no avail. I disabled the location services, no NFC, no Bluetooth. I do use wi-fi always on and 2 push mail services, because I need it for work and I have full time wi-fi coverage during day. Still I think this is nowhere near normal and well above the drain I had with my iPhone 4s, which lasted easily 48hours with average use.
I wont even mention games, while playing anything it can go down 10% in 10 minutes, maybe more.

Is there anything wrong with the phone? Anyone has any experience regarding this issue? Thank you very much

jgraves4480

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Check ur other apps. Skype is fine. Been using it since I got mine in Nov. Vevo sucked my battery down 6% every few minutes. Check the background tasks that can't be shut off and see what apps are running.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I hope not, but how can I be sure. I followed the guide indicated but it seems to maintain the same drop ratio

Well. I'm in the same boat. My lumia drops at an alarming rate, even when I'm not using it.
I've done everything from hard resets ( 3 times), soft resets, manually flashing the phone, turning everything off, charging the phone for 10 hours.. blah blah blah.. Problem remains.

So if you've tried everything, and it still drops quickly, return it. It's going to be very difficult for me to do this, but I have no choice again :(

Not sure if a software/firmware update will be able to fix this. That will be on you to wait and see.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I have my new 8X for 3 days now. I've done 3 full charges since i bought it but the fact is that my battery drains to fast, around 5% hours, with minimal use (just some sms). I uninstalled Skype because I read somewhere it could be it, but to no avail. I disabled the location services, no NFC, no Bluetooth. I do use wi-fi always on and 2 push mail services, because I need it for work and I have full time wi-fi coverage during day. Still I think this is nowhere near normal and well above the drain I had with my iPhone 4s, which lasted easily 48hours with average use.
I wont even mention games, while playing anything it can go down 10% in 10 minutes, maybe more.

Is there anything wrong with the phone? Anyone has any experience regarding this issue? Thank you very much

Hi, A lot of people including myself had some battery drainage bit time at first. It takes a couple of days (a week or two) for the battery to stabilize. One thing that I notice in my area was that LTE was draining fast my battery. I have changed that option to HSPA+ (3G in the phone's option) as the maximum connection and since then I get a full day with my phone and honestly I don't see much a difference for the speed.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I know emails can drain battery if the server is not reachable, happened on my original focus. Also try killing running apps from time to time by hitting back button till it doesn't go further. Also as others mentioned, try limiting your background apps from settings, some apps can become nasty power suckers.

Robert Nowak

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
@TruPlaya187

how does one select the data speed at which it default connects to? From the Cellular option in the settings? It seems that verizon doesn't really give you many options, unless it's located elsewhere. The options in mode selection are limited to 'global', LTE & CDMA, or LTE, GSM, or UMTS

I'd certainly like to try switching to 3g from lte, but I'm not sure how that's done. Thanks

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
@TruPlaya187

how does one select the data speed at which it default connects to? From the Cellular option in the settings? It seems that verizon doesn't really give you many options, unless it's located elsewhere. The options in mode selection are limited to 'global', LTE & CDMA, or LTE, GSM, or UMTS

I'd certainly like to try switching to 3g from lte, but I'm not sure how that's done. Thanks

If you go into "Settings-Mobile Network-Highest connection speed" I have the "2G-3G-4G" speed that I can changed.

Garghas

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Well, after having all of those options turned off, after checking all those guides I managed to see that Music Player is the culprit.
In 10 mins max, of listening music on the bus I went from 100% to 86%, 10 minutes tops I remind.
After stoping it's going down around 1% each 5 minutes... No idea what to do here, I even have the "Stop the Music" app to prevent it from being open in the background

dol4er

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
The most important thing to do is to install the updates. Mine went from 20 hours battery life to 4 days after the updates. Although, I keep everything off (WiFi, Bluetooth, Facebook, locations and etc.) and I turn them on only when I need them, the improvement is tremendous.

Last edited:

Garghas

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
The most important thing to do is to install the updates. Mine went from 20 hours battery life to 4 days after the updates. Although, I keep everything off (WiFi, Bluetooth, Facebook, locations and etc.) and I turn them on only when I need them, the improvement is tremendous.

I have everything off, like I said, the drain is only when and after using the music app to listen to my mp3... And I obviously have all the updates installed.
WP8 is kinda letting me down really...

jgraves4480

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Only thing I have off is NFC. Check ur apps. Vevo killed my battery 6% every few minutes. I stream music all the time and Skype too. I think some of the apps run and can't be turned off, causing battery drain. Microsoft needs better ways of checking that apps from the store aren't doing wild and unusual stuff during idle times.

Robert Nowak

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
If you go into "Settings-Mobile Network-Highest connection speed" I have the "2G-3G-4G" speed that I can changed.

hmm, I'm not seeing Mobile Network as an option under Settings. I'm guessing you aren't on Verizon and are likely not in the US? Either way, thank you for addressing my question!

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3