8X CaseOff!

sharpcyrcle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I dropped my 8X on a tile floor and cracked the screen. That said I went ahead and ordered a Trident Aegis case for my new one. I have been using otterboxes for years over the course of many devices. In my opinion only recently has there been real competition. However the White/Gray Commuter I'm holding out for is still "Coming Soon" so I have been looking for alternatives. I considered the Ballistic Case, the Trident Aegis (Obviously),Otterbox Defender series since it is already available, or perhaps the black Commuter. The Ballistic case seems nice but the corners are HUGE and I wear slacks at work everyday, plus the general pocket unfriendly look of it was a turnoff. The white Commuter is just too cool looking to not wait for especially if its going to replace a twin of a different color. The Defender while impressive is too unfriendly with pockets I'd imagine and seems like a lot of money to spend for a case I will probably be replacing when the white comes out. And then there's the Trident. I have barely even heard of them and only touched one case which is their "Defender Killer" for a Galaxy Note so essentially no comparison to anything I've examined before. But the design seems what Im used to more or less and the bright green was a big seller and especially that it is on sale and run me less that $30. I'll provide a thorough review of my case when It comes in but in the meantime does anyone else have one already, or experience with one from another device. Or Does anyone have any input on one of the other cases or another that deserves recognition?

Ultimateone

Dec 6, 2012
Visit site
I have the Incipio feather and think it's possibly the sweetest phone case I have ever used on any phone, simply because of how thin it is and how it doesn't add any unnecessary bulk

wazup113

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
bought the incipio 2 piece case today. also went to verizon and really like the defender...they use new rubber now not so tacky(as of grabbing onto your pockets). my brother has the iphone 5 and has a defender and has the new rubber and feels alot better than my dads defender for 4s and my other bros griffin survivor for the 4s(even though they dont make one..wanted to through it in) so i might would have gotten the glacier if you know, they would release it already...otterbox it starting to make me really angry i mean you have the design done and one color out people dont want to pay 100 for 2 of the same case and dont want to risk breaking it and all other protective cases are atleast 30(haven't looked into the trident yet)

sharpcyrcle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I know Incipio makes decent products but I need something with a higher protective factor than what they have to offer. I had 2 HD7's stolen last year (and a few broken) so Asurion isn't an option until August so protection is a MUST!The trident is on sale on their site right now till the 3rd I believe, seems like a steal for half the price of a defender.

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Has anyone tried the new Speck candyshell cases for the 8x? really like the color and design (they also have it in white/gray but with less rubber grooves), but I'm not sure if it'll offer me the same coverage and shock absorbency as with otter box and tough case...
Speck Yellow/Blue CandyShell Grip - Windows? Phone 8X by HTC? accessories from AT&T

also i do like the Trident, but it's a bit too manly for my taste and I couldnt find the sale on the website :/

sharpcyrcle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
I know a girl with a 920 with that case and its not bad. Not going to be as protective as the ones I mentioned but good most most people probably. The phone itself seems pretty durable with the exception of that one weakspot around the edge of the screen and most cases will address that including that one.Enter coupon code HAPPY2013 at checkout if you want to jump for the trident. I doubt im going to regret mine..

LeLee092

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Yeah I did a bit more research, the Speck seems like a great cover for average use but I have horrible luck with phones. Ideally I'd go for the otterbox commuter but its not available yet so I actually might pick up a trident in the meantime..

sharpcyrcle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
The sale ends today I think and its 25% off so I'd hurry. Its supposed to be between a commuter and a defender so that is pretty much exactly what I had in mind. The black commuter is actually available but the white which looks waaay cooler isn't yet. And I can afford to break another phone waiting on it.good luck.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I have the Incipio DualPro. Provides a good compromise between solid protection and keeping to the form of the 8X. Although I don't like any cases on the 8X, I am happy with the DualPro.

sharpcyrcle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Yeah the Kraken is a bit excessive I think the aegis is nice looking case tho. Guess we will see when it comes in a few days from now. Kinda wish there was Gform case to choose from. Really wanna give one of those a try.

Westiemom

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Just received my new 8x yesterday and I had ordered a Verizon case with it. After I ordered I saw all kinds of cases and this discussion about them. I ended up going to the Microsoft store online and ordering the HTC Doubleshot case, which should arrive today. However, I have to say I like the Verizon case I ordered with the phone very much. It is a gel (TPU) type in purple and it fits like a glove and is very slim and attractive. I have the gray and yellow employee edition of the 8x and the yellow earpiece and yellow ring around the camera lens look cool with the purple. I guess when the Doubleshot gets here I'll see which I like better. Has anyone else gotten the Verizon gel case? They come in purple, blue, and black.

sharpcyrcle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Update: got my trident today. I'll put a review together. I will go ahead and say I feel like I made the right call.

Jonadam23

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
I just bought the Ballistic SG MAXX, it should come later this week. After I cracked my last phone I want a case that can take a beating. Cracked screens irk me.

klkriz

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I got my Ballistic SG MAXX last week and I love it!! Mine is Black & Pink and I got it from Amazon for $27 and change with expedited shipping. It feels substantial, good to hold, and definitely bounces on those corners.. lol. Very happy with it. :excited:

sharpcyrcle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So I got my Trident Case and, well lets just say my phone is now a lovely blue/green tie die pretty much. I'm waiting to hear back from the engineers if this is Trident's fault or another instance of the dreaded 8X sponge coating.

sharpcyrcle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Presently using a glacier white Otterbox Commuter now since the Trident didn't work out. Same case I have come to expect from otterbox. No caveats whatsoever. Perfect for my lifestyle a defender for the weekend is probably in my future. At this point I gotta say The Otterbox Defender and Ballistic's offering are your best bets for heavy duty cases (You know its going to drop. More than once). The Commuter or one of the "high-end" Incipio cases (until the Trident thing gets sorted out) I wouldn't recommend any less on a $500+ device you in one way or another are committed to. I was mindful of the order of products above to those wondering. Enjoy your Phones.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
My favorite case for the 8X is the Doubleshot Hard Shell by HTC. It's the best match between build quality, slim, lightweight and great feel. It only comes in blue (matching the Cali Blue color) though. I'm still waiting for HTC to release it in other colors.

I also have Incipio's Feather (in grey) and DualPro (in black) cases. They are great on their own. I wrote a review for each and included a pics of the Doubleshot in the DualPro review.

Here are the link for anyone interested in these cases.

Incipio DualPro: http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-8x/216935-[case]-incipio-dualpro-black-review.html

Incipio Feather: http://forums.windowscentral.com/htc-8x/217238-[case]-incipio-feather-grey-review.html

For the slimmest case I would choose the Doubleshot over the Feather, but if you want other colors, go with the Feather. The DualPro is great but it's a little more bulky because it has a silicone core and a hard shell back. It's also great, though.

PhrenicSystems

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
Just to let anyone know that is looking for a lightweight case. I had a case on mine that was exactly like the Incipio Feather(rock fashion case) and the screen still cracked when dropped. I know nothing can offer complete protection but don't think you will be protected using a case like this. Once I get mine fixed I am going to get a heavier duty case for it.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3