8X turning off after Portico update

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Hi,

I need to confirm if it is just me doing something odd, but has anyone else noticed there 8x turning itself off occasionally? After the Portico update, the occasional random reboot has turned into an occasionally random shutdown.

It has only happened when I am not using the phone, and I have pulled the phone out of my pocket after a few hours, wondering why I hadn't received a text reply, only to realise that the phone is off.

This is clearly a software issue, like the reboot is/was, but less desireable IMO.

jlangner

Jun 24, 2012
Visit site
Haha, happened to me although mine never came back on. Fully charged, used an hour or so, sat it beside my pc and played about an hour of warcraft, piched up phone and DEAD, no comninations of buttons would revive. Went by t-mobile and they overnighted a new one. :( I had phone for 45 days before that so no clue whether bad phone or something from update /shrug.

wpn00b

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Mine did this like 4 times today out of nowhere. I just put it on the charger because it is behaving as if the battery is dead. It turns on, then after a minute or so turns itself off. I'll see how this pans out after it's on there for an hour.

djSupport

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
I'm getting this now, and its persistent! My phone can go off upto 5 or more times a day... Sometimes I've caught it going off and its not just going off its saying goodbye! So its turning itself off!!!

smedinghoff

May 10, 2013
Visit site
This has started to become an issue for me. I can count on my phone deciding to shut off about 1-2 times per day on average right now. Always boots back up just fine, but really frustrating as it always seems to happen when I'm expecting a call/text.

My 8X is a Verizon, interesting to hear it's happening on T-Mobile versions too.

eman67us

May 11, 2013
Visit site
I have an 8x with At&t. Got the software upgrade earlier this week and my phone has been shutting off (and staying off) once per day since the upgrade. Very frustrating.

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
there is a common hardware issue with this phone that causes resetting and bad data connections. the cause is that the SIM card is not held firmly in the sim tray and will start to have a bad connection with the contacts. the solution is to remove the SIM card, place a piece of tape on the back side (side opposite of the gold contacts) and reinsert the SIM card. its only a coincidence that it started to happen after you updated, its been an issue since launch but the connection is only now having problems in your phone.

so tape the sim card

TheVeeeMan

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Hi,

I think I'm having this problem too, and it's quite bothering me.

It's probably just me being dumb, but I don't get why the tape should fix this.
Should I use double sided tape to let it stuck in there?

djSupport

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
The tapes acting in a way that makes the sim card fit tighter in the phone, i do not believe this is the issue though as sim errors always kept my phone on...

eruptflail

Aug 12, 2012
Visit site
I had to do a hard reset of my phone after the portico update. It did a number on my phone. My music App was wrecked for months until I finally decided: screw it I'm fixing this. It worked out because I got the wifi calling app for my Tmobile HTC8x, so if you have TMO without the wifi calling app doing a reset will be worth it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99