Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes

I got my 8X the day it came out and it's just fine and I have jeans on every day of the week with my phone in my front pocket. But on the other hand my wife's red 8X got a mark that looks like pencil so I used a eraser to try and take it off and made it worse. Maybe the Black 8X is the only color not affected.

Quote Originally Posted by Suckdontblow View Post
    Just imagine if it were Apple telling people they shouldn't carry their iPhone in their pocket. Yet so many people are seemingly defending HTC for no valid reason - other than they "like" the company. Silly fanboys. Besides, it's a clear indication that a minority of us are facing this problem, whilst many users are not, therefore leading support for the argument that it is an issue with a certain core of 8S/8X handsets.
    I agree, I am seeing FAR FAR FAR too many apologists and "hey it didn't happen to me, so it doesn't exist!" posters in this thread!

IT IS WELL BEYOND OBVIOUS THAT HTC RELEASED A BUNCH OF PHONES WITH DEFECTIVE COATING AND SHOULD OWN UP AND REPLACE OR REPAIR THE AFFECTED PHONES. That is the bottom line!
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,376 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    ......IT IS WELL BEYOND OBVIOUS THAT HTC RELEASED A BUNCH OF PHONES WITH DEFECTIVE COATING AND SHOULD OWN UP AND REPLACE OR REPAIR THE AFFECTED PHONES. That is the bottom line!
    That's what I am starting to think too, but they won't do it unless ordered by a judge to do it. Look at Toyota and the stuck gas pedal.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    ...they won't do it unless ordered by a judge to do it.
    That is not entirely true. Microsoft has branded this phone the "signature" Windows Phone 8x device. Does Microsoft want their signature device to be known as chronically defective and unrepairable? If this issue is brought to light, MS can compel HTC to fix it, essentially.

The only reason it hasn't happened already is because many people have bought cases to cover their phones and then stopped complaining. Keep complaining and making it known that you won't settle for a defective coating and MS will get them to repair it.
    palandri likes this.

Can't say I'm surprised. Typical HTC "quality", or rather, lack of.

Amazing then that loonies like Thurrott continue to praise the 8X like no tomorrow, while excessively hating on the 920.

I feel bad for 8X owners, HTC is taking no responsibility for their shoddy quality standards. What I suggest is vote with your wallet, and stop buying HTC.
    socialcarpet likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,376 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruined View Post
    That is not entirely true. Microsoft has branded this phone the "signature" Windows Phone 8x device. Does Microsoft want their signature device to be known as chronically defective and unrepairable? If this issue is brought to light, MS can compel HTC to fix it, essentially.

The only reason it hasn't happened already is because many people have bought cases to cover their phones and then stopped complaining. Keep complaining and making it known that you won't settle for a defective coating and MS will get them to repair it.
    I agree with that. Microsoft is then basically being the judge and telling them to do it.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
  7.    #57  
    Quote Originally Posted by thegoodfight View Post
    Can't say I'm surprised. Typical HTC "quality", or rather, lack of.

Amazing then that loonies like Thurrott continue to praise the 8X like no tomorrow, while excessively hating on the 920.

I feel bad for 8X owners, HTC is taking no responsibility for their shoddy quality standards. What I suggest is vote with your wallet, and stop buying HTC.
    I was going to stop buying HTC devices when my HTC Mozart went through 5 batteries and was eventually replaced with a handset that had the same issue. However, I was happy with HTC support, so brought the Titan. The Titan was great, but the screen resolution was way too low for a device with such a large screen - and at the time WP 7.5 wasted so much screen space. So, I got a Lumia 800.

The 920 wasn't an option for me, I already had two contracts and I'd brought 3 sim free devices, all over 400, in the same 18 month period. So I wanted a cheap WP8 handset. The 820 is just a monolithic slab - the only other WP option, was the attractively designed 8S.

Those of you with issues with your coating check out your about phone and post your "hardware revision" number. Maybe we can get to the bottom of this.
    Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express
  9.    #59  
    Quote Originally Posted by sharpcyrcle View Post
    Those of you with issues with your coating check out your about phone and post your "hardware revision" number. Maybe we can get to the bottom of this.
    Mine's 0001 - I've seen people on the internet with this issue predominately with 0001, but some with 0002. I have a feeling 0002 might just indicate hardware changes for specific cellular bands, rather than anything more.
    Phones: HTC Windows Phone 8S, Blue // Nokia Lumia 800, Cyan // HTC Titan (no longer used).
    Tablets: Microsoft Surface RT (ordered) // iPad 2nd Generation
    Occupation: IP student // Business Manager for a small Ltd company.

Global Posts
    969 Global Posts
    0003 no case, use phone everyday and counted take it in and out of pocket 10-15 times per hour at least on busy work hour no discoloration
    - Gamertag -
    the teams Flag

www.FLAGZ.net
    @FlagzTV

Quote Originally Posted by Winfonejunkie View Post
    Didn't that moron thurrot claim the 8X to be the best Win Phone on the market?
    Yeah, but he changes his mind, position and opinion more often than an average person changes their clothes in the endless quest to gain hits to his site.

I could foresee this issue when I received my 8X. When I put it on the desk, dust etc was sticking to the soft coating. I figured that it would get manky quickly when put into a pocket or bag or whatever.

I returned it to Amazon the next day anyway due to the poor black levels and viewing angles of the SLCD screen.

That's why they should use colored plastic not painted plastic. They're just being cheap.

I've always hated HTC, I think their phones suck. Unfortunately being a Sprint customer I only had one choice. Love WP7, hate the phone design. Contracts up in December, woohoo. AT&T, Verizon who will it be?
    socialcarpet likes this.

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    only complaint with the hardware is this coating... looking like dirt a few days of owning it has really jaded my experience and turned me off. the reply from HTC put me over the edge a bit.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by oldpueblo View Post
    No phone will stay unmarked without a case. Whatever layer is exposed will catch the scratches, chips, dents, and in this case constant friction probably mixed with a little sweat. There are plenty of tpu cases that are thin and unobtrusive, if you don't want to use them then your phone chassis will just have to pay the price. That's nothing new.
    After 12 months of constant use, with no case, my Lumia 800's chassis looks exactly as it did when I bought it. It does not have the tiniest mark, except for a barely visible scratch on the Gorilla Glass over one of the capacitive buttons. If you look after your things, there is no reason for them to pick up any marks.

Global Posts
    58 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by thalamus_82 View Post
    I returned it to Amazon the next day anyway due to the poor black levels and viewing angles of the SLCD screen.
    Really? having done side-by-side comparisons between the 8X, 8S, Lumia820 and 920, I think the 8X has the best screen of the lot. If screen quality mattered above all else, it would be the only WinPhone to have. Why would viewing angles be an issue with a phone, do you have trouble holding it up to your face?

Global Posts
    2,578 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    They're probably just saying a belt clip case is better. I guess.
    What is this, a Treo 755p?!?
    palandri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Motor_Mouth View Post
    Really? having done side-by-side comparisons between the 8X, 8S, Lumia820 and 920, I think the 8X has the best screen of the lot. If screen quality mattered above all else, it would be the only WinPhone to have. Why would viewing angles be an issue with a phone, do you have trouble holding it up to your face?
    I'm not sure why I'm dignifying this with a reply, but hey.

Yes, really. Strangely enough, different people have different tastes (fortunately). In your opinion it is the best, in mine it is probably the worst or near as dammit.
    My personal taste in phone screens is high contrast OLED displays and I believe that Windows Phone looks so much better on an OLED display instead of sub par cheap looking SLCD displays.

Viewing angles do matter because when you move the phone slightly and the colours change, it looks awful and in conjunction with the weak black level and that awful floating above the screen thing that is going on it just destroys the whole experience. It took me about 10 minutes to severely dislike the 8X screen when I received it, I persevered with it for a few hours, got a mate to share his opinion and he agreed that it was garbage, so I returned it.

I think screen wise the 8X and 8S are at the bottom of the heap, as is typical for HTC devices. Next time I won't be ordering one to see what it is like unless they use an OLED display.

Obviously that is simply my opinion though and apologies for the OP for the off topic...
    socialcarpet and Vavali like this.

Mine is also 0003 and mines fine. Perhaps were onto something here. Need more statistics.

htc-one-x-jeans-stained.jpg
    Vavali likes this.

Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    I have a blue model on Verizon. I carry it in a pouch. The color is wearing off on the back of the phone. At first, I thought it was dirt. And I wondered how it could possibly be dirt, as my hands don't get dirty from my work, nor is the pouch dirty. So, I tried to wipe the dirt off with no success. Then I saw this thread. Ah-ha! There's a reason HTC's sales have fallen for their products, and this is a testament to that.

Global Posts
    106 Global Posts
    That was their response? This company is a joke.

Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    The color is not rubbing off, the color is rubbing on
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,376 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by pnhd View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	htc-one-x-jeans-stained.jpg 
Views:	244 
Size:	22.1 KB 
ID:	26132
    That looks bad.

harware 002, black Verizon. 30 days old-no indication of any blemeshes on the phone.
    Thanked by:
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast