HTC: "Don't carry your phone in your jeans"

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
Just imagine if it were Apple telling people they shouldn't carry their iPhone in their pocket. Yet so many people are seemingly defending HTC for no valid reason - other than they "like" the company. Silly fanboys. Besides, it's a clear indication that a minority of us are facing this problem, whilst many users are not, therefore leading support for the argument that it is an issue with a certain core of 8S/8X handsets.

Or certain pants material. :D

Trappiste

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
They have a point, some jeans and other pants do rub off quite easily. I'm on my second white case, my jeans rub them black and blue after not very long. We shouldn't be expecting our phones to be made out of indestructible material, if you're worried about it put a case on it. You can't seriously expect nothing to happen with hours of friction on your device every day in your pocket. They aren't made out of unobtanium.

My Lumia 900 (white) has not suffered any kind of discolouration or abrasion during the six months I have carried it in three different jeans varying from blue to black in colour. So it is quite reasonable to expect that an expensive phone copes with people's pants.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
My 8x has been in my front pocket for about 2 months now. No staining or other damage whatsoever. This is obviously a personal hygiene issue.
Sent from my HTC Titan 2 using Board Express

AzelDazel

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
i have been back and forth with their UK CS for a couple of weeks now, they are picking it up tomorrow to be taking into their repair center. No clue what will happen from there, if they decide it is my fault they will charge me. or send it back without repair and still charge me ?25. So fingers crossed i guess..

surfwashingtabs

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
i have been back and forth with their UK CS for a couple of weeks now, they are picking it up tomorrow to be taking into their repair center. No clue what will happen from there, if they decide it is my fault they will charge me. or send it back without repair and still charge me ?25. So fingers crossed i guess..

I'm not letting them do that to me and you shouldn't either - look at the giant list I posted above, of so many users affected. I'm going to check the warranty statement tomorrow and see what it states about discolouration and jeans etc

You should not be charged for this, with so many people experiencing this, it is not an isolated case of misuse.

darthhen

Jan 18, 2012
Visit site
This is the first time I heard HTC phones having this problem. HTC needs to step up here and be more responsible for its products.

What a joke....

sharpcyrcle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So....if I get a 8X...should I get it in black to be able to carry it in my jeans ? I am one who always wears Jeans, I can wear them to work and everywhere else, so I do. I hate phone cases, so I would NEVER use it as it makes phones too big.

So what is my options ? Pull the phone apart, take back part(colored part) to someone who paints and put a coat of clear coat over it, then it should be fine, right ?

Seriously, $549.99 for a phone and you put in your pocket and paint will come off ? Who designs these things ? I smell a class action lawsuit because of this....just a matter of time...

With my current choices with Verizon, This would be the only option for me so I dont have much of a choice. The Nokia 822 screen is too low res for me, HD or bust... sorry. There must be a work around for it...
Its the rubberized coating absorbing the ink from your jeans not the finish coming off. The plastic itself is blue not painted.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

trobs29

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
From AllAboutWindowsPhone.com's preview of the 8X:

In terms of materials, the 8X combines a polycarbonate unibody casing with HTC's distinctive soft touch finish, which encircles a gorilla glass protected screen.

From the looks of it, it seems like HTC was trying to cut corners by using only black polycarbonate casings then using varying colors in the soft touch coating of the case to get the actual color they want. Not unlike Nokia's approach of using the same color througout the polycarbonate material that's making up the case, so the color won't change due to "rubbing" against the jeans inside pocket or chipping in the event of a scratch. Tsk, tsk.....

sharpcyrcle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
From AllAboutWindowsPhone.com's preview of the 8X:

From the looks of it, it seems like HTC was trying to cut corners by using only black polycarbonate casings then using varying colors in the soft touch coating of the case to get the actual color they want. (Not?) unlike Nokia's approach of using the same color througout the polycarbonate material that's making up the case, so the color won't change due to "rubbing" against the jeans inside pocket or chipping in the event of a scratch. Tsk, tsk.....
Take 8x, remove sim tray, inspect, note that plastic is blue all the way through the polycarbonate just like a Nokia. Read the post above yours. 😉

RyanAMG

Dec 25, 2012
Visit site
I got my 8X the day it came out and it's just fine and I have jeans on every day of the week with my phone in my front pocket. But on the other hand my wife's red 8X got a mark that looks like pencil so I used a eraser to try and take it off and made it worse. Maybe the Black 8X is the only color not affected.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
Just imagine if it were Apple telling people they shouldn't carry their iPhone in their pocket. Yet so many people are seemingly defending HTC for no valid reason - other than they "like" the company. Silly fanboys. Besides, it's a clear indication that a minority of us are facing this problem, whilst many users are not, therefore leading support for the argument that it is an issue with a certain core of 8S/8X handsets.

I agree, I am seeing FAR FAR FAR too many apologists and "hey it didn't happen to me, so it doesn't exist!" posters in this thread!

IT IS WELL BEYOND OBVIOUS THAT HTC RELEASED A BUNCH OF PHONES WITH DEFECTIVE COATING AND SHOULD OWN UP AND REPLACE OR REPAIR THE AFFECTED PHONES. That is the bottom line!

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
......IT IS WELL BEYOND OBVIOUS THAT HTC RELEASED A BUNCH OF PHONES WITH DEFECTIVE COATING AND SHOULD OWN UP AND REPLACE OR REPAIR THE AFFECTED PHONES. That is the bottom line!

That's what I am starting to think too, but they won't do it unless ordered by a judge to do it. Look at Toyota and the stuck gas pedal.

Ruined

May 24, 2011
Visit site
...they won't do it unless ordered by a judge to do it.

That is not entirely true. Microsoft has branded this phone the "signature" Windows Phone 8x device. Does Microsoft want their signature device to be known as chronically defective and unrepairable? If this issue is brought to light, MS can compel HTC to fix it, essentially.

The only reason it hasn't happened already is because many people have bought cases to cover their phones and then stopped complaining. Keep complaining and making it known that you won't settle for a defective coating and MS will get them to repair it.

thegoodfight

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
Can't say I'm surprised. Typical HTC "quality", or rather, lack of.

Amazing then that loonies like Thurrott continue to praise the 8X like no tomorrow, while excessively hating on the 920.

I feel bad for 8X owners, HTC is taking no responsibility for their shoddy quality standards. What I suggest is vote with your wallet, and stop buying HTC.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
That is not entirely true. Microsoft has branded this phone the "signature" Windows Phone 8x device. Does Microsoft want their signature device to be known as chronically defective and unrepairable? If this issue is brought to light, MS can compel HTC to fix it, essentially.

The only reason it hasn't happened already is because many people have bought cases to cover their phones and then stopped complaining. Keep complaining and making it known that you won't settle for a defective coating and MS will get them to repair it.

I agree with that. Microsoft is then basically being the judge and telling them to do it.

surfwashingtabs

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Can't say I'm surprised. Typical HTC "quality", or rather, lack of.

Amazing then that loonies like Thurrott continue to praise the 8X like no tomorrow, while excessively hating on the 920.

I feel bad for 8X owners, HTC is taking no responsibility for their shoddy quality standards. What I suggest is vote with your wallet, and stop buying HTC.

I was going to stop buying HTC devices when my HTC Mozart went through 5 batteries and was eventually replaced with a handset that had the same issue. However, I was happy with HTC support, so brought the Titan. The Titan was great, but the screen resolution was way too low for a device with such a large screen - and at the time WP 7.5 wasted so much screen space. So, I got a Lumia 800.

The 920 wasn't an option for me, I already had two contracts and I'd brought 3 sim free devices, all over ?400, in the same 18 month period. So I wanted a cheap WP8 handset. The 820 is just a monolithic slab - the only other WP option, was the attractively designed 8S.

sharpcyrcle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Those of you with issues with your coating check out your about phone and post your "hardware revision" number. Maybe we can get to the bottom of this.

surfwashingtabs

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Those of you with issues with your coating check out your about phone and post your "hardware revision" number. Maybe we can get to the bottom of this.

Mine's 0001 - I've seen people on the internet with this issue predominately with 0001, but some with 0002. I have a feeling 0002 might just indicate hardware changes for specific cellular bands, rather than anything more.

Flagz

Jan 26, 2012
Visit site
0003 no case, use phone everyday and counted take it in and out of pocket 10-15 times per hour at least on busy work hour no discoloration

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss