HTC: "Don't carry your phone in your jeans"

thalamus_82

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Didn't that moron thurrot claim the 8X to be the best Win Phone on the market?:grincry:

Yeah, but he changes his mind, position and opinion more often than an average person changes their clothes in the endless quest to gain hits to his site.

I could foresee this issue when I received my 8X. When I put it on the desk, dust etc was sticking to the soft coating. I figured that it would get manky quickly when put into a pocket or bag or whatever.

I returned it to Amazon the next day anyway due to the poor black levels and viewing angles of the SLCD screen.

alphaxi3

May 25, 2011
Visit site
I've always hated HTC, I think their phones suck. Unfortunately being a Sprint customer I only had one choice. Love WP7, hate the phone design. Contracts up in December, woohoo. AT&T, Verizon who will it be?

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
only complaint with the hardware is this coating... looking like dirt a few days of owning it has really jaded my experience and turned me off. the reply from HTC put me over the edge a bit.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
No phone will stay unmarked without a case. Whatever layer is exposed will catch the scratches, chips, dents, and in this case constant friction probably mixed with a little sweat. There are plenty of tpu cases that are thin and unobtrusive, if you don't want to use them then your phone chassis will just have to pay the price. That's nothing new.
After 12 months of constant use, with no case, my Lumia 800's chassis looks exactly as it did when I bought it. It does not have the tiniest mark, except for a barely visible scratch on the Gorilla Glass over one of the capacitive buttons. If you look after your things, there is no reason for them to pick up any marks.

Motor_Mouth

Banned
Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I returned it to Amazon the next day anyway due to the poor black levels and viewing angles of the SLCD screen.
Really? having done side-by-side comparisons between the 8X, 8S, Lumia820 and 920, I think the 8X has the best screen of the lot. If screen quality mattered above all else, it would be the only WinPhone to have. Why would viewing angles be an issue with a phone, do you have trouble holding it up to your face?

thalamus_82

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Really? having done side-by-side comparisons between the 8X, 8S, Lumia820 and 920, I think the 8X has the best screen of the lot. If screen quality mattered above all else, it would be the only WinPhone to have. Why would viewing angles be an issue with a phone, do you have trouble holding it up to your face?

I'm not sure why I'm dignifying this with a reply, but hey.

Yes, really. Strangely enough, different people have different tastes (fortunately). In your opinion it is the best, in mine it is probably the worst or near as dammit.
My personal taste in phone screens is high contrast OLED displays and I believe that Windows Phone looks so much better on an OLED display instead of sub par cheap looking SLCD displays.

Viewing angles do matter because when you move the phone slightly and the colours change, it looks awful and in conjunction with the weak black level and that awful floating above the screen thing that is going on it just destroys the whole experience. It took me about 10 minutes to severely dislike the 8X screen when I received it, I persevered with it for a few hours, got a mate to share his opinion and he agreed that it was garbage, so I returned it.

I think screen wise the 8X and 8S are at the bottom of the heap, as is typical for HTC devices. Next time I won't be ordering one to see what it is like unless they use an OLED display.

Obviously that is simply my opinion though and apologies for the OP for the off topic...

sharpcyrcle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Mine is also 0003 and mines fine. Perhaps were onto something here. Need more statistics.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

JBHorner#CB

Nov 24, 2012
Visit site
I have a blue model on Verizon. I carry it in a pouch. The color is wearing off on the back of the phone. At first, I thought it was dirt. And I wondered how it could possibly be dirt, as my hands don't get dirty from my work, nor is the pouch dirty. So, I tried to wipe the dirt off with no success. Then I saw this thread. Ah-ha! There's a reason HTC's sales have fallen for their products, and this is a testament to that.

oldpueblo

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
The color is not rubbing off, the color is rubbing on

Bingo, this is why it's not happening to everyone. Not everyone wears the same pants, made from the same material, with the same tightness, in the pocket the same amount of times, etc. It just takes time and the right circumstances.

wiibrewer

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
Bingo, this is why it's not happening to everyone. Not everyone wears the same pants, made from the same material, with the same tightness, in the pocket the same amount of times, etc. It just takes time and the right circumstances.

Im not so sure this is the case. I posted this in another thread:

Black 8x, on verizon, HW revision 2. The back and sides of my phone are fine. My discoloration is at the bottom corners. At least for the black model, there is a layer of coating that gives it the matte finish, and underneath this layer is the actual shell of the phone, which is also black. I think the discoloration we are seeing is from this layer wearing thin. However, on my phone, I dropped it on its corners once or twice. My layer is not discolored, it is completely peeled away, exposing the smooth black plastic in the corners. Oh, and its also around the USB hub. It shows no signs of stopping, because the edges of the layer are now peeling back.

All of the discoloration on other phones I have seen so far has been dark. This might be why fewer users with the black models are complaining here in the forums, or maybe everyone opted for the blue model, who knows.

Either way, its really disappointing.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Can't say I'm surprised. Typical HTC "quality", or rather, lack of.

Amazing then that loonies like Thurrott continue to praise the 8X like no tomorrow, while excessively hating on the 920.

I feel bad for 8X owners, HTC is taking no responsibility for their shoddy quality standards. What I suggest is vote with your wallet, and stop buying HTC.

I wouldn't get too snarky. I got an 8X because my Lumia 920 got dust under the screen and both the FFC and RFC camera lenses. Nokia referred to this as a "cosmetic issue," but fortunately, AT&T disagreed.

My personal 8X has been fine, and I'm not running around screaming that the dust issue (which is well-documented on the 920 forum) is "typical Nokia 'quality' or rather lack thereof," or that people boycott Nokia phones because "Nokia is taking no responsibility for their shoddy quality standards."

Time to turn down the heat.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
And my advice for those who have a defective 8X that HTC won't fix (or a defective Lumia that Nokia won't fix, or a defective iPhone that Apple won't fix, or...) is to sue HTC in your local small claims court.

The court will charge around $50 for paperwork and to serve HTC at their US HQ.

Such notices tend to get attention pretty quickly, since they're served to legal counsel. This tells the company you're suing that you are serious about getting the problem resolved, and that they cannot shrug off your complaints.

It is very expensive for companies to participate in small claims litigation, since they have to typically hire an attorney locally to represent them (and spend hours preparing legal documents). This increases their costs WAY beyond the cost of replacing or repairing your defective phone, and most will settle to get the matter taken care of.

If they show up in court, it's unlikely that a judge will side with the company if the product is defective, and you can prove that you used it reasonably. He or she will probably order the company to "perform under the warranty of merchantability" and replace your defective device (or refund your replacement/purchase price, plus costs -- which is what you should sue for).

If the company doesn't show up, you'll win a default judgment, which should be reasonably easy to collect from a major corporate entity. Many states will revoke the business licenses (and right to sell devices) of companies who have outstanding unpaid judgments, so you'll likely receive a check in the mail upon your demand for payment (often served by the court). If they really persist in not paying, chances are that they have a bank account at a national bank with a branch in your state that the sheriff can garnish for the judgment owed -- or you could seize property (including a new phone).

I wish more people would consider small claims as an avenue for dealing with companies that are trying to shirk their duties -- it would make a major difference in getting relief and fixing serious problems, and would give companies an incentive to stay on the up-n-up.

Good luck!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte