HTC: "Don't carry your phone in your jeans"

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I forgot to mention that if you win your case, the court will award court costs to you, and if you settle with the company, you should make payment of your legal costs a requirement for the settlement.

kerryprsp

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I really hate when companies treat their customers like idiots. This is just like the antenna issue the iPhone 4 had and Apple claimed that customers were holding the phone wrong until they were pressured into publicly addressing the issue.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
Monetary damages would be the real cost of the phone in question, plus court costs. I'd suggest full retail price of the phone from your carrier's store (if you're on contract) or the amount you paid for the phone (if you bought it unlocked or outright).

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I've always hated HTC, I think their phones suck. Unfortunately being a Sprint customer I only had one choice. Love WP7, hate the phone design. Contracts up in December, woohoo. AT&T, Verizon who will it be?

Hopefully Verizon will have a 920 variant by then so we won't have to choose between having the best carrier OR the best Windows Phone.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

CTqy8.gif

Rellik66

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Disclaimer: I have a 822, so this is just conjecture.

I have a suspicion that the discoloration is actually a chemical reaction to some solvent/oil/acid/detergent or whatever present in certain cloths types. the corners just happen to get the most friction.

I have a set of steak knifes with a green-colored soft grip that are several years old. Presently, on some of them the grip is "melting", and one in particular is melting and somehow turned completely black. I have seen other soft plastics get the "melt of death." What I hate about the melt of death is you can't clean it up or stop it since it is chemical based.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
If the problem is a chemical reaction with common solvents or detergents, then HTC made a lousy design choice and needs to fix it. Imagine if the paint on your car just started discoloring and peeling off, and the automaker tried to blame you...

Oh wait a minute, I can. GM did that on my first car, a year-old Pontiac that I bought from Enterprise Rent-a-Car. When the paint started peeling off in strips, they claimed that I'd "followed a salt truck too closely" and "abused the paint."

That's how I got my primer in small claims court. Turns out that even back in the mid/late 1990s, people used the internet, and the problem was common. Going to the media and petitioning GM got us nowhere... but legions of small claims suits got GM to launch a paint replacement program for their blue and green paint colors on certain vehicles that had the problem. Later, after my car was repainted, I got an apology from GM, which helped (somewhat) assuage my rage.

Rammdog

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Hey, this may be a little random but does anyone know of a place or website to get my HTC 8X LCD screen replaced? I ironically just took my insurance off of my plan...Cuz I said it was a WASTE of money...holy Karma Batman....but really, can someone send some ideas please....Thanks in advance....

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I just picked a 8X yesterday in black, HW rev 02 and guess what ? I will be carriing it in my jeans and will not use a case on it. If the paint fails like is happening here and starts looking crappy, I might just PM Brmiller for some advice, he seems to know his way around the legal system pretty good :)

This is a crappy problem that HTC is a crappy company for shipping a product like this and knowing it's an issue even more. It does not change the fact on how I use a phone and carry it. I am not going to change because a company can't make a good product.

If the case was good, it's a nice looking phone, feels good in the hand and I know there are a lot of HTC haters around here but, I have had 5 HTC phones and for the most part, I have been very happy with them.

pfroo40

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
Any coating on any phone will wear off, scratch, chip or peel. Some materials hold up better, some people are harder on their phones, but ultimately it's just a matter of time . I plan on being as gentle as I can with my phone without changing how I use it, but I fully expect that at some point during my ownership of the phone it will get worn or damaged.

Westiemom

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
For all you folks hating on cases, I've got to say that the HTC Hard Shell (aka Doubleshot) case is so good you won't know you have a case on your phone! You can get it at the Microsoft store online and I also saw it on Amazon. It is so slim and perfectly form fitting that you get to keep the sleekness of the 8 X while protecting that not so durable back panel. Not going to offer you screen protection but you won't have that color transfer, peeling problem for sure! I am very happy with it and just wish it came in more colors. Only available in blue right now. When you have it on you can't see how it is even separate from the phone, fits that well. It's one piece and the back is hard, but the edges are a softer material that allows you to squeeze the phone in. Once it's on you can't tell the edges are softer - it just looks like one unified surface. Pretty amazing really. You can see pictures of mine under the "Cases for 8x " thread.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
I'm not apologizing for HTC, but mobile tech moves so fast that most major players have issues.

Apple's got scratching, dinging and peeling on the 5, and shattered backs and screens on the 4 and 4S.
HTC has the discoloration issue (for some people).
Samsung hasn't had any shattering, cracking or discoloration issues, but people complain about their "cheap feeling plastic."

They just cannot win! :)

sharpcyrcle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
Hey, this may be a little random but does anyone know of a place or website to get my HTC 8X LCD screen replaced? I ironically just took my insurance off of my plan...Cuz I said it was a WASTE of money...holy Karma Batman....but really, can someone send some ideas please....Thanks in advance....
there are sites that will do it for around $170 but HTC will fix it for $220 and u will have a device w a warranty. I'd suggest that route.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I can expect for the colour of my device not to change - it never has with any other smartphone, the HTC Mozart, HTC Titan, the Lumia 800 (I owned two, black and cyan) and the HTC sensation. Everyone else finds it odd. And no, I don't want to use a case - and I don't expect an indestructible phone. I do however expect HTC's design department to fully think through decisions before a release, most smartphone users carry their phones in a pocket, and the device isn't sold with a warning, OR a case. Hence, I expect that after a month, my device may be scratched, but not turning from blue to black.

HTC will never think things through. Just go to the HTC 8x page where they list the almost flush buttons as a pro instead of a con. They always place looks over anything else and that is exactly why they are no longer the king of Android and Windows Phone.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I wouldn't get too snarky. I got an 8X because my Lumia 920 got dust under the screen and both the FFC and RFC camera lenses. Nokia referred to this as a "cosmetic issue," but fortunately, AT&T disagreed.

My personal 8X has been fine, and I'm not running around screaming that the dust issue (which is well-documented on the 920 forum) is "typical Nokia 'quality' or rather lack thereof," or that people boycott Nokia phones because "Nokia is taking no responsibility for their shoddy quality standards."

Time to turn down the heat.

Many people including myself have HTC batting 0 for 4 or in some cases even worse. The typical HTC quality comment is quite accurate I would say.

sharpcyrcle

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
My last phones were the HD2 (miss that phone) HD7 and now the 8X. All of my issues were broken screens and theft I have had 9 phones overall. But I have 3 8x's (long story) and have handled issues (warranty included) through my carrier and it has been pretty painless. I continue to update to newer HTC products so clearly I've had good experiences. I've also owned Samsung, LG, iPhone, and several blackberries and I've gotta say quality and service is above average but consistently produced phones with the best software,hardware combo for my needs and they have a great relationship with my carrier so while I like to play with different stuff HTC has consistently provided the most ideal devices for my daily drivers. But that's not necessarily perfect for everyone but I certainly don't see how in a market this competitive no companies are really worlds better or worse than others. They all have pros and cons you just have to figure out what is right for you. If you think that an HTC seems right for you it probably will be. I suggest play with everything and pick what appeals to you and get it. Stay on top of your warranty (see squaretrade) and insurance if possible and relax and enjoy your device.
Sent from my Windows Phone 8X by HTC using Board Express

jhguth

Sep 26, 2012
Visit site
^^ I also came to the 8X from another HTC phone, the HD7 and an HTC android phone before that.

I lost my HD7 for a couple days at one point, I could not find it anywhere. At the same time my reclining couch broke, when I would lean back it just wouldn't recline. I could tell something was binding in all of the metal linkages, so my solution was to keep leaning back as hard as I can and jumping around to try to get it to recline back enough (picture dave chappelle as rick james on a couch). After about 10 minutes I decided to flip over the couch and see what it was... it was my HTC HD7. I had literally been jamming it in between two metal linkages for the past two days, and doing so very violently for the last 10 minutes. Except for a small dent on the metal surrounding trim piece, the phone was untouched. I'll probably continue to be an HTC customer after that experience, the 8X hasn't done anything to let me down either.

gibbage

Sep 14, 2012
Visit site
Im my work with my custom 8X case, I have discovered the true root of the problem. The 8X has a soft plastic "coating" over the polycarb. Similar to the plastic coating on pens were you grip it. The coating is VERY absorbent and will pick up dye, ink, and dirt VERY WELL! I found this out when I put my dyed custom case on the phone, and within 20 seconds, the coating had sucked up dye and stained the shell. This does not show up on black because (duh) its hard to see!

I honestly think this is a design flaw in that not all phones will have cases, and many will be put in pockets or a purse and tumble around with things. While its true that phones typically get marred by things, the 8X seems excessively prone to it due to its soft coating. It sort of smacks of the iPhone 4 gap, but does not hinder the operation of the phone, only the cosmetic value.

So far I havent found anything that will effectivly clean the stains out sadly =( I also put 3 coats of acrylic sealer on my dyed case, and it still bled through.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss