Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree43Likes
  1.    #1  
    Like many 8X owners, the soft coating on the bottom and corners of my 8S is turning black - I thought I was seeing things, but it's actually as bad as I thought. I compared the device to a unit in store and that is blue and mine is more grey/black at the sides now.

So, what was HTC's response to a phone that's turning from blue to black within a month - and seemingly going to get worse?

"Exposing the phone to abrasive surfaces could color run the material of the unit (e.g. carry phones in pocket on jeans"

Well, there we have it, if you own a HTC 8S/8X don't put it in your jeans pocket.
    That's stupid. Where am I supposed to put it then? (Not that I own one, but I am looking at getting one.)

Global Posts
    420 Global Posts
    In a case, then in your pocket! 😂
    Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Global Posts
    3 Global Posts
    I have a blue 8x....i have swapped it due to blackening corners myself....kept the blue...but got HTC's case (which I was gonna get anyway) and although the case too turns a little darker in the corners...it isn't near as bad and really doesn't bother me cause its a case....bit yeah....****ty design
    Just like how according to HTC warranty policies using your phone while it's plugged in is considered "abuse".

My blue 8X is still in good condition after about 6 weeks and I constantly have it in my jeans pocket. I did buy the HTC double shot case in blue (had to order from the UK) but I don't like the feel of it as much as the regular coating.

Global Posts
    86 Global Posts
    Mine is good after 1 month, 8x from Verizon.
    Sent from my HTC 8X using Board Express
    Banned

Global Posts
    1,966 Global Posts
    Thanked by:
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,519 Global Posts
    Here the HTC sticker that came on the screen of my HTC 7 Trophy: Phone Pocket Warning
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com
    HeyCori likes this.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    4,476 Global Posts
    I'm fortunate then that I have insurance with the Carphone Warehouse. But I got don't sit down with your phone in your pocket. That sort of stuff. Lol

"Fortune cookie said: 'Outlook not so good'. I said: 'Sure, but Microsoft ships it anyway'."

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Helicopter Steve View Post
    That's stupid. Where am I supposed to put it then? (Not that I own one, but I am looking at getting one.)
    I guess HTC expects you to carry around a man purse and the put the phone in there
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ny_yankees View Post
    I guess HTC expects you to carry around a man purse and the put the phone in there
    They're probably just saying a belt clip case is better. I guess.
    Check out the great deals on Windows Phone Accessories: http://store.wpcentral.com

Global Posts
    969 Global Posts
    have a very good looking man purse for men ;D carries my stethoscope, surface tablet, room for papers, USB cord to charge 8X in surface, purity in ears, two USB drives, keys and still room to spare, oh and had a pocket for phone which fits 8x perfect. So don't bash on the man purses :P
    - Gamertag -
    the teams Flag

www.FLAGZ.net
    @FlagzTV
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    232 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Flagz View Post
    have a very good looking man purse for men ;D carries my stethoscope, surface tablet, room for papers, USB cord to charge 8X in surface, purity in ears, two USB drives, keys and still room to spare, oh and had a pocket for phone which fits 8x perfect. So don't bash on the man purses :P
    ahhaha nice!

Very disappointed to hear this. I've always had a case on it, but its stupid on HTC part to design a phone that has this type of problem. Love it so far and I wish I could take it out of the case, but doesn't look like I will.

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    same reply I got. don't carry the phone in a colored cloth pocket and should be using a case.
    palandri likes this.

"It's not a purse, it's a satchel! Indiana Jones wore one!"

OT, I sent my 8X back for warranty on the camera yesterday, I'm hoping a replacement will come with the supposedly revised coating.

Global Posts
    417 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    They're probably just saying a belt clip case is better. I guess.

I've been using these forever and can say it is absolutely the way to go. However, I can see how it wouldn't work for all the morons that wear their jeans around their knees.
    Retired Moderator

Global Posts
    9,519 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GUNSHIP View Post
    "It's not a purse, it's a satchel! Indiana Jones wore one!"

OT, I sent my 8X back for warranty on the camera yesterday, I'm hoping a replacement will come with the supposedly revised coating.
    It's amazing how wording can make all the difference in the world to some people. Just look at dolls for boys, they call them "action figures"

Let us know how the finish/coating is and wears on your new 8X.
    Quote Originally Posted by palandri View Post
    It's amazing how wording can make all the difference in the world to some people. Just look at dolls for boys, they call them "action figures"

Let us know how the finish/coating is and wears on your new 8X.
    In UK, this item would be a purse, and it would be something used by both men and women.

What is referred to as a purse in US would be a handbag in UK. Handbag - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    Banned

Global Posts
    2,576 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by socialcarpet View Post
    why? do you not know I love that woman? so hot.... yum.
    What were we talking about again?
    Mystictrust likes this.

Global Posts
    1,971 Global Posts
    So....if I get a 8X...should I get it in black to be able to carry it in my jeans ? I am one who always wears Jeans, I can wear them to work and everywhere else, so I do. I hate phone cases, so I would NEVER use it as it makes phones too big.

So what is my options ? Pull the phone apart, take back part(colored part) to someone who paints and put a coat of clear coat over it, then it should be fine, right ?

Seriously, $549.99 for a phone and you put in your pocket and paint will come off ? Who designs these things ? I smell a class action lawsuit because of this....just a matter of time...

With my current choices with Verizon, This would be the only option for me so I dont have much of a choice. The Nokia 822 screen is too low res for me, HD or bust... sorry. There must be a work around for it...
    XV6700(Apache)>XV6800->HTC Touch Pro 2(XV6875) ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

Didn't that moron thurrot claim the 8X to be the best Win Phone on the market?
    socialcarpet likes this.
  24.    #24  
    It'd be pointless getting someone to paint it - that paint can just as easily, if not more easily chip/scratch and wear away. Plus you'd likely void your warranty, and the soft finish the device is promoted so heavily for, would be gone. I'd risk it if you really like the device - not a massive amount of people face this issue, it's just those who are, like myself, are speaking about it.

Global Posts
    857 Global Posts
    They have a point, some jeans and other pants do rub off quite easily. I'm on my second white case, my jeans rub them black and blue after not very long. We shouldn't be expecting our phones to be made out of indestructible material, if you're worried about it put a case on it. You can't seriously expect nothing to happen with hours of friction on your device every day in your pocket. They aren't made out of unobtanium.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast