Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Chregu

I've got the new HTC Windows Phone 8X and set up my personal POP3 Outlook email account. I can't find a setting to tell the account to NOT delete my email from the server. Is there a way to do this? I do not want the phone to delete my mail from the server.

I dont think you have any worries. I am looking for the option to delete my mail from the server! In other words I believe it doesnt delete it anyhow. Atleast on my phone it doesnt.

Thanks for the reply Riddlin, I guess I'm still on the learning curve with the 8X. I found as long as I don't delete them from the phone, the email is still available on the server. If I read and delete from the phone, it does delete from the server as well.

Global Posts
    136 Global Posts
    Asking for a friend: if you're using a POP Outlook email account on your 8X, are you getting to synch your calendar and contacts also? My friend is at a company that uses Outlook, but does not have an Exchange server (as I do at work). She is having trouble getting her calendar and contacts to synch. I don't think her IT set it up correct. Any help would be appreciated.
    Calendars and contacts sync with exchange, not outlook. You can sync contacts/calendar from Outlook to google, then to the phone. You can probably do it with an outlook.com account as well, but not straight from Outlook.
    Thanked by:
    gmfeld 
    The POP3 protocol removes from mail from the server unless there is an option in the client to leave it. I am unsure if the client on 8X has this feature or not. I don't know who you are using for email, but if they have an IMAP option, that would work as it leaves mail on the server.
    Thanked by:
    gmfeld 

Global Posts
    7,539 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by x SD Plissken x View Post
    Calendars and contacts sync with exchange, not outlook. You can sync contacts/calendar from Outlook to google, then to the phone. You can probably do it with an outlook.com account as well, but not straight from Outlook.
    For Outlook 2007/2010 there is an official MS plugin for Hotmail/Live, Outlook.com should work that way too I guess. I synched a while like this. His friends company just has to allow putting all of this data in to the cloud and installing the additional software.

The POP3 protocol removes from mail from the server unless there is an option in the client to leave it. I am unsure if the client on 8X has this feature or not. I don't know who you are using for email, but if they have an IMAP option, that would work as it leaves mail on the server.
    I also would always recommend IMAP over POP3, just for the convenience to have the mails flagged as read, on other devices. Also sent emails would be synched. But It would have to be configured like this also on the office computer.

The behavior on Windows Phone 7 was like this: When you deleted emails on your phone, they were also deleted on the server, even when the option was set to leave the mails. I always thought this is a terrible solution, but with IMAP I don't care anymore.
    Last edited by Chregu; 01-10-2013 at 10:55 AM.
    Thanked by:
    gmfeld 
    Laura Knotek likes this.

Akruto.com make a great sync app, called Akruto Sync, that syncs your Calendar and Contacts (but not messages) over wifi or 3G/4G. My WP8 Outlook (Express) works well this way as a replacement for my old Palm LifeDrive and Palm Desktop.