Should I buy HTC 8X or wait?

jridgers

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I've been waiting to get a Windows Phone 8 device since they first came out. Now that my contract is up I can renew and get a new phone. I want to stay with Verizon so my options are either the 8X or L822. I'm leaning towards the 8X based on the reviews I've read. But I'm shy about purchasing. At CES 2013 it sounds like Nokia may be bringing out more phones in 2013 and I don't want to get locked into the 8X if the L920 (or some similar variation) is on its way to Verizon. What do you think I should do? Get the 8X now or wait?

hipporama

Jan 24, 2012
Visit site
New phones keep coming out every few months. You can wait a few more months and see if you they come out with something, but even those phones will be "outdated" within a few months. I bought an 8X last month and it's the best phone I have ever used. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting to buy a new WP8 today.

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Haha, I'm in a similar boat to you. In the UK, the L920 is locked to EE (however T-Mo and Orange also work, and apparently so can Virgin Mobile), and I aren't willing to leave Three for EE/Orange (although may consider T-Mo). Phones4U also won't sell the phone SIM-unlocked. So now, I was so dead-set on the 920 but starting to get a little downbeat about it and am thinking maybe I should just get the 8X. If I can't get it from CPW or Phones4U unlocked by 10th Feb then I think I'll just give in and get the 8X. Apparently the exclusivity ends at the end of Jan anyway.

adrimo911

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
Lumia 920 is available on 3 now. Call them. EE exclusivity is over on the lumia

Deffo get 8X I love mine had it since mid December and it's a great phone, I was waiting for BB10 but decided to go windows

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Lumia 920 is available on 3 now. Call them. EE exclusivity is over on the lumia

Deffo get 8X I love mine had it since mid December and it's a great phone, I was waiting for BB10 but decided to go windows

Well I have checked the Three website and can't see it. Plus, if I buy from Three it's locked to their network. And I want to be primed to be able to move just in case Three give me the shaft. Although yeah, I've heard good things about the 8X. But I would prefer to buy from Phones4U or from Carphone Warehouse anyway, as they do insurance on their phones. AFAIK Three don't, and nor do my bank AFAIK.

EDIT: I've just rung Three. It's coming soon but they checked in with uSwitch as well and it is not yet available for normal customers.

Last edited:

segadc

Apr 12, 2008
Visit site
I played the waiting game. It was torture. I finally convinced myself that whatever phone I get, it won't be the last phone I get. Buy it or not. Just know whatever you get it will most likely will be better than your current phone.

GreenScrew

Apr 13, 2012
Visit site
I hope your just looking to get moral support for not waiting? Its pretty hard for anyone to give you advice considering the lack of information as to what you value in a phone. So to post such a poll, in an 8x forum, I think you should expect support to get the 8x now.

For example, if every Windows Phone 8 were available to Verizon customers today, I would still choose the 8x. Because there is no way I would be even remotely interested in the behemoth 920 which everyone around here considers the elite phone to have. So of course I voted that you should take the 8x now.

Everyone has there own values as to what is important in a phone. Size? Camera quality? Removable memory? Wireless Charging? Mfg apps? Without knowing your values, nobody can possibly provide a valid recommendation to you on what you should do?!? So all you will get is what others would do based on their own values. And this audience has already chosen the 8x... so only those unhappy with it would say not to get it.

Westiemom

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
For what it's worth, I absolutely love the 8X. It's the first phone (and I'm an experienced smart phone user - android to be specific) that practically gives me goosebumps every time I use it. It's that beautiful! At least to me, purely my opinion. No, it doesn't have a notification light for missed phone calls or messages; no, you can't set different volume levels for calls, text, or email notifications, etc. and I wish you could. These are a few small things that are missing, but that can be remedied with updates. That being said, this OS is so smooth, beautiful, and deep that it blows everything else away. I truly ENJOY using this phone every time I pick it up and I find that the apps that are available are very good and less likely to be "buggy" the way Android apps are. Some of the apps are also quite beautiful and a joy to use, like Astronomy Hub, Wikipedia for Windows Phone, and Weave, a very nice news app.

So nobody can tell you if you should wait, as others have said there is always a new phone coming out, so you just have to get what you like and not worry about what might come out next.

JamesDax

Sep 2, 2011
Visit site
Go for it. The problems you're seeing in the forums only represent a small minority of users. I have 3 in my home and have had no issues on any of them.

sharpinator

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
If you want a brick with a better camera get the lumia. If you want to get a decent windows phone with a beautiful design. Get the 8x. I know if I ever saw anyone with a lumia 920 they would get ripped the crap out of for having a brick! Who wants a phone that big in 2013? I certainly wouldn't

Coolknight1968

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
We have 5 8X in our office. Two of which are mine. Black and Blue. (Business, My kid). All are unlocked international HSPA+ with 16Gb. I do use a HTC OneXplus as my private phone. The 8X do their job, don't crash and have excellent reception. Battery life is good, lasting from 1 to 3 days. While the OneX is very good, Android 4.1.1 with Sense 4+(with all patches) is no where near as stable, weekly crashes are the norm on Android. WP8 is not perfect, if you put it into your pocket in such a way that the camera button is depressed for a while it drains the battery. Some games also drain if you don't close them. Then a reboot fixes the drain. We had 1 WP8 crash and reboot once... was before the Portico update. In continuous 3G surf and download the 8X runs about 60 to 90 minutes longer than the OneXplus, up to 7 hours. In LTE / 3G the battery drains faster if you don't have at least 4/5 reception. The display of the 8X is state of the art for 4.3 inches. The case is a joy to hold. Overall the 8X is better than the OneX, but you only have 16Gb and you can not resend saved .pdf files yet. The screen of the 8X is coated and super smooth to the touch. Imho the 8X is different but just as great as the Lumia 920, but because of different qualities.

Last edited:

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
My wife has an 8x and I have the 822. I really like both and our intention was to swap, but now I'm not sure I want to. Here is what I see as the pros-cons:

Ergonomics: 822's buttons are easier to press and better located (with the power on the side). 822 feels better in the hand with the round corners, though HTC feels very sleek. I worry more about dropping the 8x. 8x takes up less room in pants pockets, which for guys is kind of important. HTC definitely feels more premium and sleek but 822 has that 'just right' feel and everything is just solid and pleasant. I think I prefer the wider/shorter aspect ratio of the 822 for things like typing in portrait mode. You have a decent amount more space per key to type on that way.

Feature differences: Battery and expandable memory is a personal preference. Only you know if this is important to you, though being able to ADD 64GB to 822 is a very comforting option! I was surprised to enjoy the Nokia exclusive apps as much as I do. I had that ranked as one of the lowest things, but it's actually a solid difference and maybe the biggest reason I wouldn't swap with an 8x. Hate that there are exclusive apps though, hope that trend doesn't continue because it is obvious that Nokia is putting a ton of software people into WP8 development and HTC probably never will. I want HTC to succeed too!

Cameras: I did do a few side-by-sides and 8x is a bit better. Not a huge difference, if you want 'great' shots, you should be using a dedicated camera anyway. The front wide-angle camera of the htc is really good, I thought it would be just good for skyping, but self-portraits are way better now. We were at a football game and took a shot of us; you can see the entire section fan out behind us and it's a pretty decent picture.

Screens: Last but not least. Yes the 8x screen is better in that it is incredibly sharp but it is the blander of the two. AMOLED screens (822) just pop with color to the point where things almost seem cartoonish. I kind of like this, especially with WP8. The colors are more saturated and brighter and the blacks are deeper. There have been several times when I looked at the exact same thing on both phones. It is hard to tell the difference. If you really try, you can tell that text is a bit sharper on 8x and photos just look a bit better. But that?s side by side and trying to see differences. I read A LOT on my phone and have heard all this hullaballoo about 'retina' displays and how you just can't go back to lower resolutions?. I thought it would be the same for the 8x, that I just wouldn't be able to look at the 822 after the shear ecstasy of reading such crisp text on the HTC?. Nope. I'd probably prefer the HTC screen but the difference to me isn't NEARLY what I tend to read from reviews.

Gorilla Glass: This surprised me. I like to use my phones 'naked', the way they were designed to be used, especially one like the 8x. So after a few years my phones will have a few scuffs and dings but the screen is generally perfect because it's really hard to scratch gorilla glass. The 8x screen had a scratch in it days after it was new. So either there is a flaw in their process or the raised-glass design causes the screen to take more direct attacks when laying on it's face or in the pocket (which would be ironic considering one of the very few htc 'exclusive' features is the face-down-silent trick). Though I prefer the raised glass design of the 8x and the 920, this might be a disadvantage in screen durability compared to the old-school flat-in-body glass of the 822.

Sound: I was listening to an NFL radio game broadcast on Sunday. The app is horribly glitchy (just like on Android) but it's the only way to listen to live action this side of Directv Sunday ticket. So because the POS app kept crashing and otherwise misbehaving, I switched between the phones several times. I was surprised at how much better the HTC external speaker sounded. Radio football broadcasts sound pretty bad anyway, but on htc it was good, on 822 it sounded way more harsh.

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Son has 920, I have the Verizon 8x. 8x by far the nicer phone. Doesn't have the Nokia apps but. Big deal they are not all their cracked up to be. 8x on Verizon is qi compatible and unlocked from the factory.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

DanBB1

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
I hadn't thought about the Surface phone... Thanks for the tip.

I doubt there will be a Surface phone revealed, atleast not in MWC 13 or anytime soon. I haven't seen anything factual about it. Mostly fan/blog based rumours. But since you are at Verizon, Nokia has hinted they will bring something special to Verizon soon. I think it will be revieled on late feb at MWC13. A new Lumia flagship that surpasses Lumia 920 in tech, and that could be Verizon only.

nathanb131

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Strange to know that if they do announce a new Lumia I will be happy for the market but not feel buyer's remorse of being locked in to Verizon's first batch. If I was still on Android then it would be way different. My favorite thing about using WP8 now is being off the upgrade envy wagon, not thinking my 'flagship' device is obsolete within a month of getting and constantly hoping it's upgraded to the new OS version which will finally solve the lag and glitch.

Yes I'm well aware that the windows phone 7 adopters got hosed but titan and focus users claim their phones are still fast and stable. Ask anyone who's had an android for 18 months if its still fast and stable as new. I am a borderline power user, learned how to root... Yet it was still a part time job for me to get my year old 'flagship' Droid to get through a day without constant lagging and crashing.

Miss some apps but it's SO nice to know that one year from today I will still enjoy using this exact phone!

Koekjes

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I decied "yes" in november. I think I made the right choice since they promised the Nokia Lumia 920 start of january in my country, but they already postponed it till end of january. There was only one choice in november and that was the HTC 8X and I love it. Luckely they sell the HTC 8X unlocked here.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3