Crackling Sound Issue Verizon 8X

Plyanthony321

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
I've noticed a few threads about some weird/messed up audio. My phone seems to have both of these issues. The first issue ive noticed people talk about is the audio getting choppy and "cracky" sounding, which ive only had a few times and like others have said, do a simple reboot and its all good. The second problem i have (my main gripe) it seems people get these two problems mixed up is, while listening to audio a crackly noise will come out of your headphones/Aux input while the audio is still playing just fine. Some say its a hardware issue, others say its software. I think it might actually be software (contrary to my belief, because even I at first thought it was a hardware issue), issue because if i restart the phone and the Beats is already off, i can listen to music for 20 minutes and this "crackling" sound doesn't omit from my headphones, but once i turn on the Beats and even after i turn it back off this noise stays unless i reboot and leave beats off. So has any one else had this problem, and/or know truly if its a Software or Hardware problem. I took it to Verizon and of course it worked magically without me having to reboot (i purposefully didnt to show the problem but it magically went away the 30 minutes i was there, and it of course the "crackling" started again about a half hour later). If you have this issue are you Pre-Portico or Post, becuase of course Verizon hasnt "Pushed" it yet, i wonder if that overall update addresses the issue. Any thoughts?

I haven't been able to try my problem with Bluetooth either, if it did it over bluetooth then that defiantly shows its a software problem and not the built in headphone amp, which would make me feel better because im willing to wait for an update, tho I dont know if you can have Beats on while using Bluetooth, like i said i cant try it because i don't have anything Bluetooth.

UPDATE* I just installed a "Beats Audio" software update, it did nothing to fix my problem.

Last edited:

xboxonthego3

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
I have a pair of wireless beats headphones. I use them all the time with my HTC 8x. I can confirm that it doesn't and currently can't use Beats Audio. And I haven't had an issue with the crackling noise with my headphones wirelessly. But I have experienced the crackling and weird muffling noise with my phones speaker. I haven't tried figuring out why though.

Chefgummydee

Jan 5, 2013
Visit site
I can confirm that the crackling noise/sound issue persists even after the portico update. It is a T-Mobile 8X and it's been having 2 main problems since day one. The first is obviously the crackling noise. The second is the screen goes black for a few seconds when answering a call. Aside from these two problems, the phone has been great but these problems make me think that this isn't a device that can be relied on in the long run. If I knew for certain it was a software issue, I'd relax knowing it could be fixed with a future update. However, if it is a hardware issue then I will be greatly disappointed.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I have heard this crackling sound plugging my VZW 8x into a speaker system. I have also noticed just last nite, and it happened several times last nite, that the music would not play... or what I mean, it was playing through XBM but there was no audio. I could hear the charm sound of beats turning o/off when I plugged the jack in and out... but no audio even tho it was "playing" on screen. Had to reboot to get it to work. (Had to reboot 3 times). My band and I were practicing last nite and when we decide to look up a song to listen/learn they were always impressed with me pulling up stuff on my WP... until last nite. :/

Bo

Jan 16, 2013
Visit site
I've had the same problem with the crackling audio coming from the phones speaker. I'm not sure if it's a software or hardware problem but it is sporadic and can be fixed with a reboot. On a different note, I wonder if it has anything to do with Beats Audio. I have yet to hook a headset up to my phone to turn on Beats but i have the same exact problem with my HP Touchpad. Every once in a while the sound with get all bitted-out and will force a reboot of the device. With the Touchpad i didn't start getting the problem until they updated to 3.2 but it was never addressed with the last update.

***edit
Never got the sound problem with my HTC rezound which also has beats audio but did have other problems that forced reboots.

Plyanthony321

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the input. But most of you seem to have problem number one like described, where the audio is crackly and choppy and a reboot does the trick, no one seems to have the crackling sounds with the headphones, i guess ill try and convince Verizon its messed up even tho it tends to work just fine right as i go in the store, but its a little harder to hear with headphones, its super easy to notice if you connect it to a sound system or Aux in a car :(

Vheissu

Oct 11, 2012
Visit site
I just started having the same problem last week it first started when i had my phone plugged into my car through the Aux jack, but it also happens through the speaker on the phone sometimes. It has happened a dozen times in the last week. I also had a couple of days last week when my battery drained really fast, that issue seemed to go away (I think it was an app that wasn't working properly). I hate these phantom problems cause it's so hard to reproduce when you take back to the seller.

Klaric

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site
Not sure if we are talking about the same "crackle", but I've noticed that the phone emits some kind of EMF every so often that affects unshielded electronics (computer speakers, radio transmitter for listening in the car). This happens frequently during the day, and if my phone is within about 8-10 inches of said device I get a loud obnoxious crackle for a few seconds. I have NFC and bluetooth turned off, so I'm at a loss to explain it.

obijuan23

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
It appears to be an issue with the sound driver. I've noticed it happening if the phone has been on for a few days without a restart, reboot clears it. I suspect that there's a memory leak in the driver.

astrocramp

Mar 2, 2011
Visit site
Not sure if we are talking about the same "crackle", but I've noticed that the phone emits some kind of EMF every so often that affects unshielded electronics (computer speakers, radio transmitter for listening in the car). This happens frequently during the day, and if my phone is within about 8-10 inches of said device I get a loud obnoxious crackle for a few seconds. I have NFC and bluetooth turned off, so I'm at a loss to explain it.

Interesting I get the same thing - my powered M-audio speakers on my computer will buzz, only through the right channel, periodically. It has something to do with LTE - when the phone has an active data connection you can hear the buzz. When I turn off LTE it stops. I'd be interested if other LTE phones have the same behavior.

It drove me nuts that I couldn't figure out what was going on. At first I thought it was a problem with my PC - I switched L/R channels, changed the audio out on my PC, changed the power strip, switched outlets, and then finally figure out when i put my hand over the phone the buzzing stopped. Now I just put my phone about 5 ft from my PC and I don't hear it.

P O

Aug 9, 2013
Visit site
Sam here. Just got mine. This guy is pretty good. Reviewed Lumia .Nokia Lumia 928 Quick Review | Pocketnow. Crackling sound is just part of the Lumia life. Read somewhere else antenna is too close to speakers; in my case happens geographically , most of time crisp clear sound suddenly listening to song crackling I back out listen to different song, perfect audio. Its a design issue

Last edited:

mik pow

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
I downloaded beats audio on my rooted Samsung phone and did a backup then instantly lost all sound on my phone there's nothing i can do to get a sound out of it,then my phone began freezing and soft bricked I've factory reset and rebooted over and over,recovered phone ,still no sound still freezes ,I've tried everything, i guess my phones done..thanks beats

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos