8X: Should I bite?

The1Weapon

Aug 31, 2011
Visit site
I've been looking forward to the day of getting a WP8 device since the day the platform was announced. Having been on Verizon with a Trophy since the first day it was released on the carrier, I've been overall satisfied with the development and transformation that WP7 has gone through, including the fact that I feel pretty assured that I will get updates and such that Microsoft put out (though I may have to wait for a while, lol).

I'm coming up on upgrade time this weekend, and I look forward to jumping in with a WP8 device, but I'm not going to lie in that all of the problems I'm reading on about the 8X has me a little wary of the device. The crackling noise, the worn and stained soft touch coating (I plan on getting a case, though), battery issues, lack of MMS, unsupported screen resolution (not too much of a big deal), and some inconsistencies after spending some time with WP8 (such as the need to reboot so often), all these including other more minor issues have me a little wary of jumping on the 8X.

I was originally excited for the device due to the attractive form factor, the Beats audio amplifier, the nice screen and good enough camera, which made me okay with not being able to get a high-end Lumia (which, I think no one would disagree that if the 8X had all the things that the Lumia had, no one would turn down).

My question is, despite all the issues that have cropped up in your use with the device, have you been happy overall with it and do you think that you will continue to be long term? I would like to hear from owners that have had it since around launch day or close to it, particularly, but I'm not excluding anyone else out if they want to chime in.

I'm not afraid of waiting on things to get fixed, but I don't want to be often frustrated with dealing with my device (I listen to a lot of podcasts and music, for instance and the crackling audio seems problematic to me). And since I hear that newer devices are kind of around the corner, I wonder if I should just wait it out a little bit and see. I'm WP all the way with my phone decision, but I'd like it to be stable and smooth as it's always been when I get to WP8.

absonj

Jan 3, 2013
Visit site
I've had mine 3 weeks, and so far, all I have is praise. I've only rebooted once. Since then, I'm able to run fairly heavy and get 12 hours battery (15%) after that time. The soft touch has faired well, it lives in my pockets, and haven't seen the fading everyone else notices.

As for mms, don't really use it much. I get them, and can reply just fine. So not sure what the issue is.

My only issue is lack of storage, and no turn by turn. But compared to where this phone excels, its an insignificant thing.

I'd say bite hard! Its worth it!
Sent from my wicked sexy HTC 8X windows phone using Board Express

moegumby

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
Go for it, had mine since Nov now, had invalid SIM error, had SIM replaced all is good now. Great phone, love it.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

Westiemom

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
Can't resist putting in my two cents worth, but I haven't had my 8X since launch day, only 3 weeks. However, I have yet to experience any of the problems I've read about on this forum. As I saw someone else say in another thread, the people who usually get on forums the most are looking for help with a problem, so they represent the minority that is experiencing a difficulty. I also read all of these before I got my 8X and it made me nervous - to be sure! But the vast majority of happy users don't get on forums and talk about how much they love their phone. It is just like the news - bad news is much more likely to be spread than good. All that being said, I am not just pleased with my new phone, I am ecstatic! As I posted in another thread, this phone practically gives me goosebumps every time I use it, it's that beautiful. I can't say what the long term will hold, perhaps I'll have issues with it down the road as is common with all smartphones, I certainly hope not. But I came from a Samsung Galaxy Nexus that I only had about a month and it was constantly having to be rebooted just to maintain connectivity to make calls, texts, etc. I'm a long time Android user, much preferring Android to Apple, but I'm sold now on Windows phones and it would take A LOT to make me go back.

failed1234

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
Bite. Portico solves most of the issues, and I also haven't had the worn back issue. What is the problem with MMS, exactly?
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

arterbizzle

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
If you are a happy wp7 user I'd say go for it. I've had my 8x since launch day and it's the best phone I have ever owned for music, email, and calls. I was an Android user before this and my biggest frustration is with the store. I really miss the apps, bad. I have most of the main ones that I use so it's bearable.
The 8x is a solid phone and I'd recommend it if you can deal with the wm8 shortcomings for a bit.

lzicc

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
I have no complaints whatsoever with my 8x. It runs so smooth. I can't really say that I had any real issue's with mine.

clivectmob

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
As most have said on here, no problems at all with mine. Really pleased with it. Had it for a couple of weeks now, only issue is lack of decent satnav apps at a reasonable price. There are some cheap ones but they are lacking in one way or another and Navigon, the only decent one is horrendously expensive. Other than that, its great. Form factor is the overwhelming plus on this device.

zrob7

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
As I am sure you know..... regardless of the device.......many of the posts on forums like this come from people with problems. The vast majority of people who have no problems probably you do not hear from....that said, my 8X has been great since day one !

wfblue

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
zero problems with the 8x. With 12 hours since charge, generally at 40-50% left with moderate use. best phone I have ever owned. Great form factor and smooth operation. Never had a reboot. Have at it.

clivectmob

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
Update to my previous post, Nokia drive beta is out now. It just gets better. Also, starting to see a huge jump in battery life now too. I typically get out of work at about 4.30pm with about 65% - 70% remaining.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3