Questions before I buy the htc 8x

Eberstein

Feb 26, 2012
Visit site
1a. Can I upload my music to the music app and does it work in the cloud? (like Google music)

1b. Can I then download specific songs to the windows phone? Similar to the "On device music," option on Google music.

2. What's the actual capacity for apps/music/documents on the HTC Windows Phone 8x? I know it says 16gb, but I'm curious how much is taken up by pre-installed apps and the os.

3. Does anyone miss anything from android after switching?

Thanks for any help.

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
1a. Can I upload my music to the music app and does it work in the cloud? (like Google music)

1b. Can I then download specific songs to the windows phone? Similar to the "On device music," option on Google music.

2. What's the actual capacity for apps/music/documents on the HTC Windows Phone 8x? I know it says 16gb, but I'm curious how much is taken up by pre-installed apps and the os.

Thanks for any help.

You are able to upload music to Skydrive and are able to play it, but it Skydrive doesn't function as a music player, YET. Microsoft is in works to bring cloud music playing capabilities to SkyDrive.

2. I have an 8X and the usuable storage is around 13GB.

3. I do not really miss anything. Notification center has been replaced with my lock screen and live tiles. I do miss some apps, but what I got in return with wp8 is far better than Android. Stability, smoothness, and feeling more secure.

I also have S3 with jelly-bean.

sharpinator

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
can't really answer the music questions but I can say xbox music needs quite a bit of work, it's not the best! As for the android question I can say that I like windows phone but there are a few gripes I have.

Notifications are nowhere near as reliable or obvious as they are on android.
If you like playing silly games like temple run, subway surfers/ other games you'll be very disappointed. Apps are very very simple, if you like tweaking things to your every need you won't be able to do that and some apps are so simple they are missing features. If you just look at the os it's actually pretty awesome and with the right update it can be extremely good but as of now I feel like my glass is only half full. I must tell you I get on very well with android and I still have a decent android phone (HTC One S, waiting for it to get back from repair) but there are many people on here who completely hate it for various reasons many of them because they haven't used an android phone since gingerbread or they've never owned a recent flagship phone.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I miss almost nothing about android except a couple of apps but now that i am on windows phone i do sort of see how silly and trivial those apps are.

before wp8, i owned a samsung gs3 and i was not that impressed...it was far too laggy and the os is clunky anad boring....i even tried to use a Droid DNA earlier this month because i thought i missed android...and even with a quadcore processor and a high res sceen(that was sort of dim), the dna and android was lacking in User experience and i stuck with windows phone..

you should read my dna and 8x review
http://forums.windowscentral.com/ph...eview-vs-droid-dna-review-htcs-best-best.html

I love my 8x and this is coming from a boy who is a nokia lumia ******.....it is amazing phone. you should read my review on wp8 vs android
http://forums.windowscentral.com/phone-wars/211905-why-windows-phone-8-best.html#post1850603

PS- my notifications work about 99 percent of the time :)

lucas.scott

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
You can actually use Google Music on Windows Phone. A friend of mine developed the app Cloudmuzik for WP and it has been updated for WP8. That said, you cant download them for offline listening.

You can download for offline listening through Xbox Music for sure. Xbox music gets a lot of bad attention, but i have nothing but positive things to say. I got a year free when i bought my Surface on launch day, and i will absolutely be renewing when that year is up. Especially if you have a Windows 8 PC, it doesnt get much better.

I was a long time Android user. I did a little dev work and a great deal of theming work in the Android community. I have to say the things i miss are minimal... if any.

Scorpio5x0

Nov 17, 2012
Visit site

Thanks for any help.

This is as much a Windows Phone question as a HTC 8x question.

1a. XBox Music works perfectly in the cloud without having to use Skydrive, as long as you have a Windows 8 pc. All music that resides on your Windows 8 computer is automatically placed in the cloud service. In turn all your music is accessible via cloud on your Windows Phone 8, XBox, Windows RT, and other Windows 8 computers. If you still have Windows 7, then you need to use the Skydrive option or use the Google music app that was mentioned, Cloudmuzik, as the Zune software does not have cloud capability.

1b. You can download to your windows phone device as long as you have that set as one of your 4 download devices. But truthfully depending on the size of your music collection, in my opinion 16GB is not a lot of space for most music collections and still install apps and have photos and videos on your phone.

2. The actual capacity may be slightly different for everyone, depending on what pre-installed apps you decide to keep and so forth. After i uninstalled several apps that I knew I wasnt going to ever use, I believe I was sitting around 12-13GB of available space. That was before installing new apps and files that I do use.

3. This one I can not really answer. Never used an Android phone, though I do have an Android tablet. Not exactly the same experience.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion