HTC 8x camera is supposed to be wide-angle, but in Skype it is not!

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
I just got an HTC 8x, and was under the impression that the front facing camera was a wide-angle lense which would be good for Skype. However, the camera is anything but wide angle in Skype! It is in fact very narrow...has anyone else looked into this? Is it a Skype issue? What is the deal?

Also, any hope the charging light could be used for notifications?

Thanks!

Brandon619

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm lets hope when the final version of Skype of wp8 is released they fix that though I gotta check to see if what ur saying is true :)

srmccoy

Jan 2, 2013
Visit site
Hrm...when I use Skype with my front facing camera the folks on the other end see it as a wide-angle shot. However, when viewing the person I'm talking with they are very narrow on the display and there's no way to zoom out. Is that what you're talking about? If so it's nothing to do with the 8x camera.

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Hrm...when I use Skype with my front facing camera the folks on the other end see it as a wide-angle shot. However, when viewing the person I'm talking with they are very narrow on the display and there's no way to zoom out. Is that what you're talking about? If so it's nothing to do with the 8x camera.

I tested it communicating with Skype Desktop, and Skype-Metro for Windows 8. If you are saying it's widescreen when talking to someone on Windows 8 and you are using the Metro app, it is just zooming in on the image to make it widescreen (which means a lot of the image is cut out and the quality is poorer). Try skyping to someone on desktop Skype and ask them what the image looks like, on my HTC 8x, they see the same "portrait" picture that is shown on the phone. It is definitely not sending a widescreen image, it isn't even square! It is portrait (the shape of a phone screen).

bradleyj

Apr 18, 2011
Visit site
Try turning the phone into landscape mode. Also the Skype app is still in beta and still occasionally causes system problems.

I tried turning the phone to landscape and it does nothing. Skype is in beta, so perhaps they will take advantage of the wide-angle lense in the final version (I hope).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3