Latitude attitude

Dell Latitude 7280 is a business laptop with tons of consumer attitude

4K all the way

You probably don't NEED a 4K webcam, but we love Logitech's BRIO 4K anyway

Long live Windows phone

Contrary to popular belief, Windows phone won't die anytime soon

XP-YESSSSSSS

Dell's already awesome XPS 15 gets even better in 2017

Surface Pwn 5

Surface Pro 5, Project NEON details leaked on LinkedIn?

Redefining the PC

Why Microsoft's Surface phone could be MUCH more than a mere 'phone'

Surface table meets Windows 10

Yes, we did put Windows 10 on the original Surface table ... and it rocks

Cream o' the crop

Before buying a Microsoft laptop, check out our pick for the absolute best

Simple and secure, just the way I like it

We think Windows 10 Cloud is a great idea, here's why

uber micro

Halo Wars 2 has something for everyone. Here's our full review.

Oldie but goldie

We reviewed Microsoft's decade-old Surface table

Creators Update comin' at ya

These are the coolest new features in the next big Xbox One update (video)

Buyer's guide

The Razer Blade 14 is the best laptop Razer has to offer

Windows 10 app gems

10 terrific Windows 10 apps you should be using

Tower of power

Here's what we think of Dell's XPS Tower Special Edition

Quite a deal

Grab the complete C# coding bootcamp for $41!

Your go-to laptop guide

Introducing our ultimate laptop buyer's guide

Listen here

Attn Android and iPhone users: What you need to know about Windows phone

Old is new?

The original Surface Pro still holds its own in the 2-in-1 world

Xbox Greenlight?

No, internet, Microsoft isn't opening Xbox to all UWP games

< >
Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 31
Like Tree5Likes
  1. 64GUNSHIP's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    229 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #1  
    Hi all,

    I found a website which sells HTC 8X parts... Everything from flex cables to the actually soft touch coating replacements.
    Windows Phone 8x spare parts and accessories.

    Here you can purchase replacement back covers, volume rockers/power/camera buttons. Using the parts on this site, it should be entirely possible to completely change the colour of your 8X. The only problem is the speaker grill on the screen, which is part of the screen. You would need to buy a new screen which could get pricey very fast.

    Has anyone else found any sites similar to this one? The parts seem a bit expensive. However, I'm tempted to try it when I get some spare cash. This is useful to me because my carrier only launched the 8X in blue, and I really wanted red.

    Most parts are out of stock right now :/
  2. WindowsPhone8User's Avatar
    Banned

    Posts
    75 Posts
    Global Posts
    83 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #2  
    Might get mine in yellow, just how would you get the original back cover off tho?
  3. 64GUNSHIP's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    229 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
       #3  
    The company has this video on disassembly
    Sam Sabri likes this.
  4. ajua's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    245 Posts
    Global Posts
    618 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #4  
    For the price, I might get a red and a yellow back :D
    However, I'm not bold enough when it comes to disassembling phones. I have tons of experience with laptops and other electronics, but I have never disassembled a phone.

    If someone here buys on those covers, please keep is posted.
  5. lucas.scott's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    212 Posts
    Global Posts
    312 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #5  
    Good find. They are all listed as OOS right now though. Definitely something to keep an eye.
  6. tofu.'s Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by 64GUNSHIP View Post
    Hi all,

    I found a website which sells HTC 8X parts... Everything from flex cables to the actually soft touch coating replacements.
    Windows Phone 8x spare parts and accessories.

    Here you can purchase replacement back covers, volume rockers/power/camera buttons. Using the parts on this site, it should be entirely possible to completely change the colour of your 8X. The only problem is the speaker grill on the screen, which is part of the screen. You would need to buy a new screen which could get pricey very fast.

    Has anyone else found any sites similar to this one? The parts seem a bit expensive. However, I'm tempted to try it when I get some spare cash. This is useful to me because my carrier only launched the 8X in blue, and I really wanted red.

    Most parts are out of stock right now :/
    I got excited for a bit. Been waiting for oem covers to hit the market. They're probably out of stock because they never were in stock to begin with :(

    why is black $77?

    Too bad the wireless charging assembly isn't there either
  7. gibbage's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    178 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #7  
    Would be nice if you could buy the Verizon back and make your non-Verizon 8X into a wireless charger!
  8. hennessyevan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #8  
    After seeing the OOS status everytime I checked, I finally saw the black one come in stock.

    I just bought a black cover from there and it said that it came with the wireless charging assembly (which is the only reason I sprang for the black).

    I should be getting it in the mail in the next few days and I'll tell you guys how it goes after I attempt a little bit of plastic surgery to my HTC 8x. Wish me luck..
    Agent-P, 64GUNSHIP and wtrmlnjuc like this.
  9. 01mggt's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    86 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #9  
    If I currently have a Verizon 8x with wireless charging would I lose that of I change the back case?
  10. tofu.'s Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by hennessyevan View Post
    After seeing the OOS status everytime I checked, I finally saw the black one come in stock.

    I just bought a black cover from there and it said that it came with the wireless charging assembly (which is the only reason I sprang for the black).

    I should be getting it in the mail in the next few days and I'll tell you guys how it goes after I attempt a little bit of plastic surgery to my HTC 8x. Wish me luck..
    wireless charging assembly?

    that's great news!
  11. Agent-P's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #11  
    I was thinking of getting a new backplate (with wireless charging) but leaving the speaker grill, volume/power/camera buttons, and sim tray the California Blue my 8X came in. Apart from black, does anyone think a red or yellow backplate would look good with these blue accents? (I haven't seen the red or yellow in person, so I can't judge it myself)

    Quote Originally Posted by hennessyevan View Post
    After seeing the OOS status everytime I checked, I finally saw the black one come in stock.

    I just bought a black cover from there and it said that it came with the wireless charging assembly (which is the only reason I sprang for the black).

    I should be getting it in the mail in the next few days and I'll tell you guys how it goes after I attempt a little bit of plastic surgery to my HTC 8x. Wish me luck..
    Just quoting so you don't forget to update us on this because if I can get a wireless charging back for my 8X and be able to install it with minimal fuss, then I'll definitely buy one right away.
  12. gapost's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    788 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,879 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #12  
    I have taken apart and repaired everything from car engines to camera lenses to cell phones. After reading some experiences with disassembling the 8X, I wouldn't do it.
  13. Agent-P's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by gapost View Post
    I have taken apart and repaired everything from car engines to camera lenses to cell phones. After reading some experiences with disassembling the 8X, I wouldn't do it.
    If you don't mind me asking, what in particular about taking apart the 8X makes you hesitant to do it?
  14. gapost's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    788 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,879 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by Agent-P View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, what in particular about taking apart the 8X makes you hesitant to do it?
    For one, the screen and LCD are "glued" to the back cover. It is very hard to separate and from what I have seen in some threads, very difficult to get it back to the original condition, ie screen flush with the body. In fact, I read one thread where a repairer said it was one of the worst phones he worked on. Just not worth it to change the color. Now, if it was my own phone, and the screen was cracked, and it was either buy a new one or try to fix it, I would probably try to fix it.

    It is my understanding that in the disassembly video, that phone was taken apart once and it appears easier than it really is.
  15. hennessyevan's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    4 Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #15  
    Ok so here's an update! I got the backplate in black and naturally decided to disassemble right away using the video as a reference.
    NUMBER ONE: Heating the phone is crucial. I have done a lot of decal work on my motorcycles and stuff so I had a heat gun that I used and that melted the glue. (there wasn't THAT much)
    NUMBER TWO: There is no easy way to remove/replace the speaker grill (on the top) so I left it as california blue and left all the buttons blue as well (minus the sim tray)

    Other than that, disassembly and reassembly was actually much easier than I thought. The whole process took me about an hour and a half and believe me, I was not rushing.
    There are four small tongues that fit into adjacent grooves on either side of the phone and two on the top and bottom. Once the glue that holds the back to the bottom of the phone is melted, the back just snaps out of the grooves and replacing the new backplate is just as easy as snapping it in to place. The USB/Speaker assembly has six small screws and re-locating that to the new back was just as easy. There are three cables that attach the USB, speaker, and volume/camera button that fit much like any other motherboard.

    I have a touchstone charger from my palm pre (frankenPre 2 actually) but that didn't charge it (as I didn't expect it to). I went to my local Best Buy and saw a wireless charging dock on display so I can confirm that it works well, and GOOD NEWS!

    I didn't manage to take any real pictures during disassembly except for one accidentally because I can't exactly take a picture of my phone with my phone.

    So all in all, it depends how much you value qi charging and for me.. ~$40 and give or take two hours of my time was worth it.
    Cheers Guys!
  16. gapost's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    788 Posts
    Global Posts
    2,879 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #16  
    Ok, well that's good to hear you got it done without too much trouble.
  17. Agent-P's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by hennessyevan View Post
    Ok so here's an update! I got the backplate in black and naturally decided to disassemble right away using the video as a reference.
    NUMBER ONE: Heating the phone is crucial. I have done a lot of decal work on my motorcycles and stuff so I had a heat gun that I used and that melted the glue. (there wasn't THAT much)
    NUMBER TWO: There is no easy way to remove/replace the speaker grill (on the top) so I left it as california blue and left all the buttons blue as well (minus the sim tray)

    Other than that, disassembly and reassembly was actually much easier than I thought. The whole process took me about an hour and a half and believe me, I was not rushing.
    There are four small tongues that fit into adjacent grooves on either side of the phone and two on the top and bottom. Once the glue that holds the back to the bottom of the phone is melted, the back just snaps out of the grooves and replacing the new backplate is just as easy as snapping it in to place. The USB/Speaker assembly has six small screws and re-locating that to the new back was just as easy. There are three cables that attach the USB, speaker, and volume/camera button that fit much like any other motherboard.

    I have a touchstone charger from my palm pre (frankenPre 2 actually) but that didn't charge it (as I didn't expect it to). I went to my local Best Buy and saw a wireless charging dock on display so I can confirm that it works well, and GOOD NEWS!

    I didn't manage to take any real pictures during disassembly except for one accidentally because I can't exactly take a picture of my phone with my phone.

    So all in all, it depends how much you value qi charging and for me.. ~$40 and give or take two hours of my time was worth it.
    Cheers Guys!
    Sweet. Since it doesn't seem to difficult, I'm seriously considering doing this now. A couple questions though:

    1. When putting the new backplate on, did you have to reapply any adhesive? I noticed you talked about melting the adhesive holding the phone together, but you didn't make any mention of it when attaching the new backplate.

    2. Any chance you could take some pictures of the finished product, even if it's a mirror shot? I just want to see how it looks with a black backplate and blue buttons (that way I can decide if I should wait for the blue backplate to come in stock or not).
  18. tofu.'s Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    251 Posts
    Global Posts
    278 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #18  
    is there another source for these parts? the site listed in the first post no longer carries anything
  19. Agent-P's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    190 Posts
    Global Posts
    202 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by tofu. View Post
    is there another source for these parts? the site listed in the first post no longer carries anything
    Remove the "-en" from the end of the url after you click it. For whatever reason removing that shows all the parts.
    tofu. likes this.
  20. failed1234's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #20  
    Did anyone else see the orange back? Never knew they made those...

    EDIT: NVM, just red... Does anyone know if they make the blue one with wireless charging?
  21. FC1032's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #21  
    Bump in hope for pictures :) I actually saw someone with a HTC 8x on the train once. Had a black body and blue buttons...

    The website doesn't seem to have any ones with wireless backs right now...
  22. failed1234's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #22  
    Quote Originally Posted by FC1032 View Post
    Bump in hope for pictures :) I actually saw someone with a HTC 8x on the train once. Had a black body and blue buttons...

    The website doesn't seem to have any ones with wireless backs right now...
    They're back in stock I believe.

    I really want to try this.
  23. FC1032's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    13 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #23  
    Quote Originally Posted by failed1234 View Post
    They're back in stock I believe.

    I really want to try this.
    Are the black ones the ones with wireless? I can only see black, blue and red with the colours being more expensive. The actual grey verizon one with dual colour would be reallllllll nice.

    I haven't got an 8x YET. I ordered one, waiting for stock :(
  24. failed1234's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    180 Posts
    Global Posts
    262 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #24  
    Quote Originally Posted by FC1032 View Post
    Are the black ones the ones with wireless? I can only see black, blue and red with the colours being more expensive. The actual grey verizon one with dual colour would be reallllllll nice.

    I haven't got an 8x YET. I ordered one, waiting for stock :(
    I contacted them. Black and red have wireless charging, while blue doesn't.
    listeningtree likes this.
  25. illitero's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    7 Posts
    Global Posts
    50 Global Posts
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    #25  
    I kind of tore up my at&t yellow one after it died suddenly. Now it's stuck in the ridiculous WP boot loop, but I'd REALLY like to swap to a gray case (granted I can get it out of this damned loop). I tried looking to see if it's possible to do so without much luck. Anybody have wisdom on this?
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Any way to change notification sounds ?
    By Leo Kaukidi in forum Nokia Lumia 920
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 02-13-2013, 11:42 AM
  2. May have to try HTC 8x now...great dea
    By strokee in forum HTC 8X
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-12-2012, 05:07 PM
  3. Replies: 21
    Last Post: 12-12-2012, 11:37 AM
  4. From HTC HD7 to the HTC 8X...
    By X0LARIUM in forum HTC 8X
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 12-01-2012, 10:49 AM
  5. Is there a way to change SMS settings?
    By DDM in forum LG Quantum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-22-2012, 03:35 AM

Posting Permissions

";