Why I finally switch to the 8X

autumnride

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Hi everyone!

Just wanna quickly tell my totally not enjoyable story of my Lumia 920 and me.

Bought it end of last year. Just a couple of weeks later I had to send it away for reparation. When I got the phone back ~5 days later, there still was the same issue (dust coming in the case / front facing camera). The second time I sent it in, they replaced it and I finally had a phone again another 6 days later.

As unlucky as I am with that Lumia 920 this replacement phone again had an issue. It freezes when in Standby. Ok, 3rd time sending it away, I got it back a couple of days later... What they have done.. Nothing, which official is "Software Update"... Powering it on and not even an hour later it was frozen again (Without SIM and any App or configuration)!!

I am just totally over that Lumia 920...
It was not just sending it in all the time, also the uncountable resets and reconfigurations I had to struggle with... I am just over it and EVEN if the Lumia 920 is the way better phone with superior and innovative technique, I just don't trust them anymore!! It's kinda like in a relationship.. haha

Anyone else here SWITCHING back from Lumia?!

Lets see what the 8X brings me... :)

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
If you're not interested in thread, then why comment on it?

OP, same boat as you. Got tire of recurring dust issues and moved to the 8x. I miss the screen on the 920 and better battery life, but I have zero build quality issues with the 8x, plus the camera (in daylight) and audio playback are better. I don't think you'll miss the 920.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I know seven people with L920's and none of them are reporting any issues. No battery, freeze or shutdown issues. None of them have had their device replaced. Looking through various forums, it also appears that U.S. customers are experiencing more problems than others.

I wonder if it is Nokia's new factory in south America that is having/causing QA issues?

yajur

Jan 6, 2013
Visit site
first i had singapore lumia 920 it has heat issue now i own indian lumia 920 which is zero free from issues and iam waiting for your 8x review.

autumnride

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I'll buy the 8X by the end of the week and gonna let you know about my feelings about it! According to battery life.. As long as the battery lasts one day, all's good.

rdifiori

Dec 13, 2011
Visit site
I know seven people with L920's and none of them are reporting any issues. No battery, freeze or shutdown issues. None of them have had their device replaced. Looking through various forums, it also appears that U.S. customers are experiencing more problems than others.

I wonder if it is Nokia's new factory in south America that is having/causing QA issues?
Not sure if it's US only, but a quick Google search of "Lumia 920 dust" gets quite a few hits: Let me google that for you

philpeeps

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
As my wife's barely 9 month old HTC Titan II sits collecting dust waiting for the 7.8 update that HTC has confirmed is not in their plans to provide, our Lumia 920's sit center stage, just laughing.

I hope HTC dies in a fire...

Tiwo

Jan 27, 2013
Visit site
As a general rule of thumb, if the manufacturer hasn't fixed the phone after 3 resends, then the consumer gets a new phone. At least, this happened to three of my friends :p

wayner65

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I don't believe the whole freezing issue has anything to do with the hardware. Case in point, my Lumia 920 I bought back in November was running perfectly fine, no heat, good battery life, no complaints. Second week in January it started to freeze and reboot several times a day. I went ahead and reflashed the firmware as described in the sticky and the phone has been perfect ever since. Anyone experiencing these issues should consider reflashing the firmware.

Jari P

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
fixing the freezes when in Standby: i have the same issue but i discovery that if u let your phone playing the game robotek it doest freezes.

It makes sense. It seems that "sleep" and "resume sleep" applied for some application do not always work properly ... but I think that Microsoft will fix that ... my few cases were always soon after installing of new apps and many people reported it specially during charging ... however, I have not had a single case after installing Portico with all Nokia updates (audio, acessories, access point, network+, extras+info, display+touch) ... well, I checked that ALL apps were updated ....

jdhooghe

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
You are posting a thread about how you are switching to the 8x in the 920 forums where most, if not all, people love their phones.

Check.

/bangs head against the wall

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Good luck I moved to the 920 because my 8X screen developed red dots and then died a horrible death.

Still nice phone if you get a decent one but then so is the 920 so...

Dave Blake

Mod and Ambassador Team Emeritus
Jan 11, 2008
Visit site
As my wife's barely 9 month old HTC Titan II sits collecting dust waiting for the 7.8 update that HTC has confirmed is not in their plans to provide, our Lumia 920's sit center stage, just laughing.

I hope HTC dies in a fire...

Where do you read that HTC won't update the TII? I have not see this. It was on out blog that the HD7 won't get the update but I still expect the Titan II will get the update. If you have information on this please post a link.

HIllste1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I've had very few problems with my 920 (besides dropping it and breaking the screen) but I'm considering trading it for a HTC8X as well. I really enjoy the Nokia extras, but I'm concrerned the size of a phone with a more durable case on it (incipio, speck, otter box, ect) will be to much for a pocket.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
ehhh i love my 8x and all but i am only begrudgingly able to use it. the brief time i had my lumia 920 it worked perfectly for me and even if i like my 8x and people always ask me about my phone, i feel like it's a big downgrade.

autumnride

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So.. I finally got the HTC 8X in limelight yellow!! WOOOW that colour is stunning!! The device feels much better in the hand, maybe a little too light, but the shape is just perfect!! Besides that I just love it, I may miss the awesome camera on the L920, but that's basically it!!! Dont miss anything else, I even like some parts way more!! Vibration is nice and not as noisy (I hated that on the L920), front facing camera is way better for skype, the beats audio enhancement rocks and last but not least....

... IT WORKS FROM THE FIRST DAY ON WITH NOT EVEN ONE ISSUE!!!

The L920 got repaired twice and replaced once in just a month!!

WELL DONE HTC and thanks for letting me live my life again, rather than struggling around with nokia every day!!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99