Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 16 of 16
  1. peacefulberry's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    695 Posts
    Global Posts
    942 Global Posts
       #1  
    Greetings Everyone,

    Traditionally I am a BB user, and this year I decided to also explore other non-Android/non-IOS platforms (just a personal preference). I am currently considering the HTC 8X, and I need to clarify something before I make my final decision.

    MAJOR CONCERN:
    I recently read that some HTC 8X users on Tmobile were experiencing straight to voicemail calls and/or not receiving SMS/MMS messages and then getting them flooded after toggling airplane mode ON/OFF. I need to know if this issue has been resolved. Also, do you think this is an HTC issue or T mobile issue?

    Minor Concern: I searched, but couldn't find the answer...I love using my mobile phones in landscape mode. Can anyone tell me if you can call, send all messages/emails, browse, and use apps in landscape mode? Please specify which things you can or can not do in landscape.

    The above minor concern has been answered...thanks to all who helped me understand the landscape mode features! :) I still would like comments about the Major issue and overall satisfaction with the device. Thanks again! :)


    Lastly, please tell me overall if you are pleased. I'm not concerned with apps, just functionality, speed, display, ease of use, etc. Thanks so much for any all all of your help! :)
    Last edited by peacefulberry; 02-04-2013 at 03:22 PM.
  2. Curtieson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,322 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,331 Global Posts
    #2  
    I don't use TMobile so I'll leave that for someone else...

    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    Lastly, please tell me overall if you are pleased. I'm not concerned with apps, just functionality, speed, display, ease of use, etc. Thanks so much for any all all of your help! :)
    I think 99% of who you will run into here will tell you they love their phone. There is also a reason it is the #1 rated OS on Amazon and other sites. Those that use it, love it.

    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    Minor Concern: I searched, but couldn't find the answer...I love using my mobile phones in landscape mode. Can anyone tell me if you can call, send all messages/emails, browse, and use apps in landscape mode? Please specify which things you can or can not do in landscape.
    I use my phone in landscape about 95% of the time. Downfall #1, the start screen DOES NOT rotate, at all. It is always portrait. Also, I do not think calls go to landscape, but you are only on the call screen for like 2 seconds and then put the phone to your head so that isn't really all that important.

    I do all my email typing in landscape though, I can not type with my thumbs at all, so I use my index fingers. Most browsing and read my RSS feed is all landscape too. But, for the apps...it is all up to the developer. You are in the minority with wanting to use your phone 'sideways'...so it isn't a crazy popular option....but it is there.
    Thanked by:
  3. peacefulberry's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    695 Posts
    Global Posts
    942 Global Posts
       #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtieson View Post
    I don't use TMobile so I'll leave that for someone else...
    I use my phone in landscape about 95% of the time. Downfall #1, the start screen DOES NOT rotate, at all. It is always portrait. Also, I do not think calls go to landscape, but you are only on the call screen for like 2 seconds and then put the phone to your head so that isn't really all that important.
    You're right about the calling in landscape (forgot about the actually putting the phone to your head LOL!) I use speakerphone a lot, and I guess I wanted it to be able to rotate while I had it on speakerphone. BTW, can you browse the web, and do other things while on speakerphone in a call?
  4. peacefulberry's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    695 Posts
    Global Posts
    942 Global Posts
       #4  
    Also, what about the straight to voicemail calls and/or not receiving SMS/MMS messages and then getting them flooded after toggling airplane mode ON/OFF. I read it was on other networks as well...
  5. pavvento's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    415 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,441 Global Posts
    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    You're right about the calling in landscape (forgot about the actually putting the phone to your head LOL!) I use speakerphone a lot, and I guess I wanted it to be able to rotate while I had it on speakerphone. BTW, can you browse the web, and do other things while on speakerphone in a call?
    Yes, while you're in a call you can hit the home button and do anything you'd like. The only problem is the notification bar stays on showing you're in a call, but the screen doesn't re-size, meaning the very top part of the screen may be obstructed.
    ----
    My Device History circa 2007:

    Nokia 1020 > Nokia 920 > Nokia 900 > HTC Titan > HP Pre 3 > HP Veer > Palm Pre 2 > HTC Evo > Palm Pre > iPhone 3G > iPhone
  6. #6  
    If this is all you are concerned about, "functionality, speed, display, ease of use, etc", then you will love this phone.

    I have this phone on Tmobile and I do not have those missed SMS and mms problems. In my area, Northwest Indiana, I have had problems regarding reception that in turn led to me not knowing I had missed calls, SMS, mms, etc. If anything its Tmobiles doing with the other ppl experiencing those issues because it seems like they're always having tower problems.

    Things you CANNOT do in landscape:

    You can not call someone in landscape mode. Your "aggregated call history" you cannot view in this mode,
    the marketplace doesn't support it,
    HTC's specific "hub" (clock tile) doesn't support it,
    Music, Game, People hubs, Wallet

    Thing YOU CAN use in lm

    individuals call histories
    Calender, settings, calculator, messaging, Nokia Drive, IE, E-mail, maps, alarm

    I am very plz with my phone after the Portico update. Yours will already have it. Battery life is great. I have this phone for school, and I can't begin to tell you how resourceful this phone has come to be. Recording lessons and pasting it into OneNote, keeping my school and work email accounts organized and generally getting things done MUCH faster than my S3. The best part of it all is that it took me months before I got the correct setup. It basically forced me to decide things that are necessary. Using the lock screen and start screen gives me enough notifications, some may need a "Center", but this way is just fine. My most important notifications will always be on my lock screen, while my fun, and miscellaneous apps take up the rest, being my start screen.

    Trust me, you won't be disappointed
    Thanked by:
  7. peacefulberry's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    695 Posts
    Global Posts
    942 Global Posts
       #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by pavvento View Post
    The only problem is the notification bar stays on showing you're in a call, but the screen doesn't re-size, meaning the very top part of the screen may be obstructed.
    I'm sorry, I don't quite understand...can you elaborate please, or maybe post a screenshot so I can better understand? Thanks so much for all of your info! :)
  8. Curtieson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,322 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,331 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    BTW, can you browse the web, and do other things while on speakerphone in a call?
    On AT&T at least... That is no issue at all. I do it all the time when I am talking to my mom (she gets a little long winded, so I clean up my email inbox while she is telling some stories)

    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    Also, what about the straight to voicemail calls and/or not receiving SMS/MMS messages and then getting them flooded after toggling airplane mode ON/OFF. I read it was on other networks as well...
    Thinking back, I actually DID have 1 issue with MMS. A couple buddies were all having a chat, and the 1st message I got was the 3rd person in line. I didn't get msg 1 until 2 days later, and msg 2 until 3 days later. That is is the only issue I've had...I've had about 20 other MMS conversations without a hitch. In that issue, I was the only phone that was NOT a Verizon Android (and mine is an AT&T WP8)
    Last edited by Curtieson; 02-04-2013 at 03:33 PM.
  9. peacefulberry's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    695 Posts
    Global Posts
    942 Global Posts
       #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Microsoftjunkie View Post
    If this is all you are concerned about, "functionality, speed, display, ease of use, etc", then you will love this phone.

    I have this phone on Tmobile and I do not have those missed SMS and mms problems. In my area, Northwest Indiana, I have had problems regarding reception that in turn led to me not knowing I had missed calls, SMS, mms, etc. If anything its Tmobiles doing with the other ppl experiencing those issues because it seems like they're always having tower problems.

    Things you CANNOT do in landscape:

    You can not call someone in landscape mode. Your "aggregated call history" you cannot view in this mode,
    the marketplace doesn't support it,
    HTC's specific "hub" (clock tile) doesn't support it,
    Music, Game, People hubs, Wallet

    Thing YOU CAN use in lm

    individuals call histories
    Calender, settings, calculator, messaging, Nokia Drive, IE, E-mail, maps, alarm

    I am very plz with my phone after the Portico update. Yours will already have it. Battery life is great. I have this phone for school, and I can't begin to tell you how resourceful this phone has come to be. Recording lessons and pasting it into OneNote, keeping my school and work email accounts organized and generally getting things done MUCH faster than my S3. The best part of it all is that it took me months before I got the correct setup. It basically forced me to decide things that are necessary. Using the lock screen and start screen gives me enough notifications, some may need a "Center", but this way is just fine. My most important notifications will always be on my lock screen, while my fun, and miscellaneous apps take up the rest, being my start screen.

    Trust me, you won't be disappointed
    Thanks so much! This helped a lot! :) You mentioned Nokia Drive, but this is an HTC Phone, is the Nokia Drive available on this phone?
  10. peacefulberry's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    695 Posts
    Global Posts
    942 Global Posts
       #10  
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtieson View Post
    Thinking back, I actually DID have 1 issue with MMS. A couple buddies were all having a chat, and the 1st message I got was the 3rd person in line. I didn't get msg 1 until 2 days later, and msg 2 until 3 days later. That is is the only issue I've had...I've had about 20 other MMS conversations without a hitch. In that issue, I was the only phone that was NOT a Verizon Android (and mine is an AT&T WP8)
    Ok, thanks so much for that info! I did read that it was happening on ATT as well...do you think its an HTC or a Microsoft issue? Also, did it disappear after the latest update?
  11. peacefulberry's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    695 Posts
    Global Posts
    942 Global Posts
       #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtieson View Post
    On AT&T at least... That is no issue at all. I do it all the time when I am talking to my mom (she gets a little long winded, so I clean up my email inbox while she is telling some stories)
    So I can definitely check email, browse the internet and send/receive MMS messages while on a call. Sorry for all the questions. I will be buying this device at retail (off contract) and want to be sure before I purchase it. :)
  12. Curtieson's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,322 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,331 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    Ok, thanks so much for that info! I did read that it was happening on ATT as well...do you think its an HTC or a Microsoft issue? Also, did it disappear after the latest update?
    I actually have a Nokia L920, hahaha. I think it was an AT&T issue. It only happened the one time. It was Christmas Day...that was it (my buddies from College were all wishing each other a Merry Christmas)

    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    So I can definitely check email, browse the internet and send/receive MMS messages while on a call. Sorry for all the questions. I will be buying this device at retail (off contract) and want to be sure before I purchase it. :)
    Yes. All that stuff works. That isn't specific to WP.

    Also...THIS is a Toast Notification, but also the same size bar is what you will see when you are on a phone call, the blue at the top.:

    toast.png

    It works FINE when you are on the start screen or in any native apps, but if an app has information in that top 1 cm, you won't be able to click it while you are on a phone call.
    Thanked by:
  13. peacefulberry's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    695 Posts
    Global Posts
    942 Global Posts
       #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Curtieson View Post
    It works FINE when you are on the start screen or in any native apps, but if an app has information in that top 1 cm, you won't be able to click it while you are on a phone call.
    Oh ok...I get it...thanks for the photo and all the info! :)
  14. absonj's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    97 Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefulberry View Post
    Thanks so much! This helped a lot! :) You mentioned Nokia Drive, but this is an HTC Phone, is the Nokia Drive available on this phone?
    Yes, its called Nokia Drive Beta, and it works perfectly. And is free. I have a Verizon HTC 8X, and it works great. You really have to get it if you want voice turn by turn navigation.
    Thanked by:
  15. #15  
    You could not have chosen better words! "functionality, speed, display, ease of use" are exactly what the Windows Phone OS is built around!

    I'm in love with my 8x! My only problem is that sim error. (I don't think tmo has that issue) The phone is fast, lightweight, and absolutely gorgeous! It really is a head turner! Do get a case though, I feel they might be a little delicate.
    Phones: Nokia Lumia Icon, Nokia Lumia 928, HTC Windows Phone 8x, HTC Trophy
    PMP: Zune HD 32, Zune 80, Zune 4, Zune 30
    Tablet: Surface 2, Surface for Windows RT
    Thanked by:
  16. peacefulberry's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    695 Posts
    Global Posts
    942 Global Posts
       #16  
    Quote Originally Posted by absonj View Post
    Yes, its called Nokia Drive Beta, and it works perfectly. And is free. I have a Verizon HTC 8X, and it works great. You really have to get it if you want voice turn by turn navigation.
    You know, that is awesome! One of the selling points for the Nokia Lumia Windows devices was the Nokia Drive with voice turn by turn directions, and I thought it was awesome. Now that I know that I can get it on the HTC as well, I'm ecstatic! Thanks again for letting me know!

Similar Threads

  1. New to Windows Phone and XBox having problems
    By greenwoodma in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-11-2012, 09:24 AM
  2. New to Windows Phone and having roblems with Facebook app
    By rodrigoyoshida in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 06-19-2012, 03:25 PM
  3. New to Windows Phone have questions
    By CSI Guy in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 04-02-2012, 10:36 AM
  4. Hello! New to Windows 7 and Trophy
    By benzie in forum HTC Trophy
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 07-26-2011, 11:32 PM

Posting Permissions