HTC x Beats?

Mark Valentine

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
Has anybody compared using the HTC 8x with Beats enabled with any set of Beats by Dre Head/Earphones vs Regular Head/Earphones like Skull Candy, Sony, etc.? I cant really give a comparison since the only set of headphones I have are Beats Solo HDs. But I will admit the sound quality is quite superb. I included a photo to show my setup. :winktongue:

HTCxBeats_zps55dab371.jpg

martinmc78

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I went from a set of Skullcandy Hesh to a set of WESC Premium Chambers by RZA which are comparable in frequencies and range to Beats. I thought the Skullcandy's were good but the difference in sound quality is even better. And before anyone chimes in with "its just more bass" the whole sound range is improved, vocals have more clarity and the mid and high ranges are also better. Ive also compared the sound quality on my 8X with a 920 and the beats amp does make a difference. One thing thats still missing though - equaliser - Ive got varied musical tastes and the setting i would use for listening to something like WuTang would be vastly different from listening to say Foo Fighters.
Again its one of those odd things that seems to have been left out of the OS that was there previously in WP7.5

Florin Anghel

Banned
Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
I honestly don't like beats headphones cause they have to much bass, from my point of view. I'm using a Phonak Audeo in-ear, and they are very good. Each sound is there, the bass is how it supposed to be, and I don't need high volume to hear the music, even if I listen to 15/30 I am hearing all the sounds.
note: the phonak audio in-ear have filters, if you want more bass you can change the filters.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I have JVC Xtreme Xplosives (HA-FX1X) and they sound great with the built in amp using Beats Audio. With it turn on and using regular headphones/earbuds vs good ones there's a noticeable difference in fuller sound and deeper bass. These Xtreme Xplosives sound incredible and they are very cheap. Easily the greatest price-quality ratio you can get.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I have a Rezound with the Beats earbuds that my wife is using. I have a pair of Nokia Purity HD earbuds for my 822. I haven't compared them on the Rezound, but on my Lumia the Nokia earbuds sound better than the Beats. I've used my earbuds on an 8X with Beats on and they sound really good on that phone also.

th0mas96

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I used the in-ear beats, and tried the "Studio" ones, and I think especially for the high price they suck. I'm now using Shure SE-215 as inears and they are way better imo.. and the beats audio setup is useless to me, the Nokia EQ does a much better job for me

gamblers4

Jan 14, 2013
Visit site
I have Westone earbuds and I can't compare them to Beats, but I have listened to these on different devices and I think the 8X sounds great with them.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeah I've never seen the big deal with Beats.

My big deal with beats are that they are very durable, stylish, sound great, and fold up nicely!

That being said, I love the way they sound with the 8x. Everything is more precise, bass feels much more firm and vocals are very clear! The 8x does the same with other headphones, but the difference is more drastic with Beats imo

EDIT: by "other headphones" im referring to a bunch of mid class $40ish headphones and earphones. I don't own any premium non Beats headphones

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
So basically the general concensus is that the Beats audio processing on the 8X is good, but better when not using Beats headphones? I personally agree from experience testing them out in shops, and I am more than happy to enjoy better sound (IMO) on a tighter budget. I currently have the Sony XB400's. If something happens to them, I may simply upgrade up the XB range.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
My big deal with beats are that they are very durable, stylish, sound great, and fold up nicely!

That being said, I love the way they sound with the 8x. Everything is more precise, bass feels much more firm and vocals are very clear! The 8x does the same with other headphones, but the difference is more drastic with Beats imo

Despite my above comment, (which I sent before seeing yours) I agree that more expensive headphones (like Beats) have a more solid and durable feel. Perhaps that is why they are trying to justify the extortionate price tags.

Sound reproduction-wise, I am not convinced (based on what I have tested in the shops) that they are worth it. Especially when using a portable device.

It should be called iBeats, to go with the over-priced yet average iPhone.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with average tech in this day and age, but the price should reflect the average performance. Simply adding more desirable branding should not double the price!

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Despite my above comment, (which I sent before seeing yours) I agree that more expensive headphones work on a more solid and durable feel. Perhaps that is why they are trying to justify the extortionate price tags.

Yeh I just want to argue the point that everybody says you can get better sounding headphones for less then the Beats so they call Beats garbage. Totally not true, when you put money into the purchase of Beats you are buying a quality build, a sexy look, and portability. Yes you are also buying into the name brand, but I like to compare Beats to North Face.

morpheus1982

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Yeh I just want to argue the point that everybody says you can get better sounding headphones for less then the Beats so they call Beats garbage. Totally not true, when you put money into the purchase of Beats you are buying a quality build, a sexy look, and portability. Yes you are also buying into the name brand, but I like to compare Beats to North Face.

I guess others who put down Beats headphones have other priorities when it comes to headphones, namely sounds quality. The looks of it, especially when you cannot see it during use not so important.

To be fair, perceived sound quality is subjective to a certain extent. Also, just because something else can sound better that doesn't mean that other a rubbish.

It reminds me of some of those smug Lumia 920 owners. "Everything else is the Windows Phone lineup is garbage because me Lumia has X Y Z!"

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I guess others who put down Beats headphones have other priorities when it comes to headphones, namely sounds quality. The looks of it, especially when you cannot see it during use not so important.

To be fair, perceived sound quality is subjective to a certain extent. Also, just because something else can sound better that doesn't mean that other a rubbish.

It reminds me of some of those smug Lumia 920 owners. "Everything else is the Windows Phone lineup is garbage because me Lumia has X Y Z!"

Yen haha see I view my headphones not only as an audio device, but also an extension of my attire! I like to look good! Lol

WhippedKream

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
I've used my friend's JVC earphones (mid-ranged), with beats turned on and off, then my other friends Phillips (mid-ranged as well) and then my own Monster Mobile Jamz in-ear headphones. The difference between mine and theirs is HUGE. With beats tho, the general feeling I got, was way better on all of them. I was impressed. I love it but sometimes my headphone jack slot acts up. I'm pretty sure it's a software issue, hope they get to it! Other than that, loving my 8x <3 even if it's 8GB

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I have a free urBeats (basically iBeats with a different mic control thing), and it sounds great with my 8X. I'm nowhere an audiophile, but it definitely sounds better than on my Lumia 820.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos