Dropped Windows 8x In TOILET!! :( HELP!

Sydbabe

Feb 8, 2013
Visit site
Dropped my Windows 8x in the toilet this morning! Quickly grabbed it out and dried it off but water was also dripping out of it. IT would show the start up screen then turn off then show the random white screen with the codes.... It wouldn't just turn off and you can't take the battery out with this phone, so I just left the screen off and put it in a bag of rice.... I had to run to work with my old phone. Do you still think it's okay even though the phone is not off but the screen is off? Sim card is out of course. Anyone have positive stories so I don't keep freaking out?! I had sooo much important info in there and pics/videos that are priceless!! Is there anything else I should be doing? I was afraid to mess with trying to turn it off too much because it kept re-turning on the screen. HELP! :crying:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'd suggest leaving it off and in the rice for 3 days. Chances are, it is dead, but there might be a slight possibility it won't be dead.

It's harder to revive devices with water damage if they don't have a removable battery. On a device with a removable battery, pulling out the battery is the first thing to do.

rcx84

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
lol. Don't turn it on. Leave it off for at least a couple of days. Then try it out. You might want to disassemble it to dry it out as well. The rice thing doesn't work that well I think...

MerlotC

Sep 19, 2011
Visit site
My old Samsung Focus went through the wash once. When it finally dried out it was working fine except for the camera which never recovered and could not be repaired.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
lol. Don't turn it on. Leave it off for at least a couple of days. Then try it out. You might want to disassemble it to dry it out as well. The rice thing doesn't work that well I think...
Another thing that helps is silica dessicant. You can get that from places that sell guns.

pkcable

VR Expert
Jul 3, 2009
Visit site
You might try appealing to your carrier for help, sometimes they will offer you an alternative upgrade and reduced pricing to help mitigate your loss. They are under no obligation to do so, BUT sometimes for long time customers a courtesy can be extended. Do NOT expect their best pricing, just a discount, and they may not offer it. I have just had something similar happen in the past and Verizon was able to help me. :) They offered me the 1 year contract price, and I had to restart my 2 year contract from that point, and I got no other discount (so no rebates, no extra discounts, JUST the 1 year contract price). It was better than full retail. If I recall I paid around 350 for a phone that retailed for 600.

jiayit

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
If you have auto-backup on, your pictures should be uploaded to SkyDrive. As for info, depends on what info. some are backed up, some are not.

Anabela1981

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
Hello. The same happened to me just 1 hour ago. I didnt even know how it happen :( just want to know what you did and did the phone is ok now?

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
The rice trick will work but it requires heat to help get rid of the moisture. Just put it in a ziploc bag of rice or other container and put it in the sunniest window you can find and let it dry for several days.

nottechsmart

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
2 people who've dropped their phones in a toilet???:eek: Fellas, wait till you're in the sitting position and then take your phone out! :DMy phone has also replaced my magazines:beer:

Michelle Hauck

May 20, 2013
Visit site
Mine dropped in water. It was in a river that it dropped in when i fell in. I tried to charge it and it freaks out it tuns on then vibrates goes off then vibrates. Now I have it sitting in rice. Is it good enough just sitting in rice?

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Mine dropped in water. It was in a river that it dropped in when i fell in. I tried to charge it and it freaks out it tuns on then vibrates goes off then vibrates. Now I have it sitting in rice. Is it good enough just sitting in rice?

Well it would probably have been better if you did the rice first...

NEVER EVER EVER EVER turn a phone on or plug it in after it has gotten wet. NEVER cause if it even did have a chance of surviving, you basically tied it to a truck and drove it off a bridge.

Leave it in rice a couple days/week and then try again. If it still doesn't work, id highly suggest you buy my old one from me!

bnkumark

Aug 29, 2013
Visit site
I too dropped my HTC 8x in water. Then it kept on switching ON and OFF until the battery is completely drained.

i removed sim and dried it up and tried to suck water from all the slots(charger slot, headset slot etc) multiple times, and waved very hard to through out any tiny bit of water i could. Kept it idle for 12 hours, before i charged the phone. Then it started working :)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3