Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Like Tree9Likes
  • 2 Post By Sam Sabri
  • 1 Post By jiayit
  • 1 Post By WhippedKream
  • 1 Post By WhippedKream
  • 1 Post By Sam Sabri
  • 1 Post By jiayit
  • 1 Post By Techno-Freak
  • 1 Post By Jonathan Wright1

Global Posts
    283 Global Posts
    A shattered screen is never fun, especially when you don't have a warranty. So I think together we should fix this screen. I've never really done this, but I think can handle it. Give me recommendations on what parts to buy and any guides to follow. In return I'll make a video showing the process to help anybody out in the future.

8x-screen-2.jpg
    So, what piece or pieces do I need to buy? Any part numbers I should look for?
    What tools will I need? Any guides already out there? Etc.

If you help me, I help you. Anyone who contributes a useful link or post will automatically be thrown into a pool to receive an 8X case. That's right, help me and you could get a case for you 8X from the Windows Phone Central Store. This isn't a site contest or anything, just a way for me to say thank you for helping me help a friend out.

Let's do this.
    Sam Sabri
    Managing Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email - sam@wpcentral.com
    Twitter - samsabri
    Instagram - samsabri
    Twitch - GeneralSham
    Xbox Live - GeneralSham
    Thanked by:
    Laura Knotek and sahib lopez like this.

Global Posts
    32,940 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    Ouch! I'm sorry your screen broke. Hopefully you'll be able to get it fixed.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    Give me a mo while I go search for the links.
    I'm not in for the prize, just wanna help someone out. Was searching for ways to change the 8X's color when I came across a few shattered screen threads. BRB.
    Sam Sabri likes this.

I know this isn't exactly what u want to hear but here is what I just read on this video: . "Thank you for your message. It is verry difficult to replace the Display, you can easily break the LCD. We recommend you to replace the Full module, it's more expensive but safer to do. There is a good chance that you damage the LCD and Digitizer" :'( sorry about your phone man...
    Sam Sabri likes this.

This guy seems to break it up really good for other parts needing to be fixed tho, but even he recommends not replacing the screen :/ so sorry man, iunno...
    Sam Sabri likes this.

Global Posts
    283 Global Posts
    Ha, thanks for the video link. He may recommend not doing it, but we've got to!
    Sam Sabri
    Managing Editor - Windows Phone Central
    Email - sam@wpcentral.com
    Twitter - samsabri
    Instagram - samsabri
    Twitch - GeneralSham
    Xbox Live - GeneralSham
    WhippedKream likes this.

Global Posts
    335 Global Posts
    Thanked by:
    Sam Sabri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Sam Sabri View Post
    Ha, thanks for the video link. He may recommend not doing it, but we've got to!
    As an engineer who does not have the guts to do this even with his own phone, Kudos :P hahaha it's my first year mind you but still! Not in that mindset even now haha

Ouch!!! Sad and sorry to see that Sam!

Not sure but here's hoping this would help a bit...
    HTC Windows Phone 8X Screen Repair Take Apart Guide

Here's the original source:
    http://blog.repairsuniverse.net/htc-...e-apart-guide/
    Last edited by Techno-Freak; 02-11-2013 at 06:06 AM. Reason: Added source link.
    Thanked by:
    Sam Sabri likes this.
    Saw this on Ebay - seems to be the whole LCD and Digitizer for 110. Has anyone given it a go yet. I am wondering what the quality of the parts are like.

LCD Display + Touch Screen Digitizer For HTC Windows Phone 8X LTE C625e C625b | eBay

Here's a walk thru guide.....

HTC Windows Phone 8X Screen Repair Take Apart Guide | RepairsUniverse - Smartphone Replacement Parts, LCD - Htcreviewsandtips.com

but I've got a l920 ��
    always willing to try to he though. I've replaced a quantum screen 6 times now while waiting for my precious Lumia to become avail! ��

This site says there's two versions of the screen and you need to confirm which one you have....

For HTC Windows Phone 8X Zenith Replacement LCD Display Screen Panel

etradesupply,com and use coupon code LE55 for a discount, they have 10% off this screen at the moment

don't know there costs at the moment though. But if you haven't got one yet worth checking out.
    Looks like that is just the LCD. When you price the LCD plus the digitizer it works out to be roughly the same as the one I posted on ebay but you would have to put it together. These are still coming from china though so shipping might take a bit.

Any idea what this means though?

* There are two versions of lcd display for HTC 8X(long flex and short flex version). Please confirm which is the right one for you before you buy. This item is the short flex version for HTC 8X phone.

Hey Sam was any of this helpful? Still have questions to be answered?
    LCD Display + Touch Screen Digitizer For HTC Windows Phone 8X LTE C625e C625b | eBay

I message the company selling these. They say they are new and original (OEM) and come assembled. Might be an option if you think you are going to break your LCD getting the digitizer off. I have actually picked up a replacement 8X on the cheap so I am going to to try and get the glass off the LCD of my broken one. I will take some pictures and write up a report when I do it.

Quote Originally Posted by PhrenicSystems View Post

I message the company selling these. They say they are new and original (OEM) and come assembled. Might be an option if you think you are going to break your LCD getting the digitizer off. I have actually picked up a replacement 8X on the cheap so I am going to to try and get the glass off the LCD of my broken one. I will take some pictures and write up a report when I do it.
    That sounds like a great idea. Even though I have a l920 I'm interested to see how it turns out for you ��

Hey Sam did you order your screen? Already fix it? Or did you put it on the back burner for now?
    I took mine apart on the weekend. It is not that hard to get apart but like it has been said you are probably going to need to get the LCD and the Glass as one because I couldn't get them apart without damaging the LCD. I actually think the LCD was damaged taking the back cover off. It accidentally turned on when I was trying to get the back cover off. I think the flexing of the phone damaged the LCD along the crack line of the glass as there was some discoloration there that wasn't after the initial damage to the glass.

I haven't decided whether I am going to replace the screen or not as I already have a replacement. I might do it just for fun to see how it goes. If I get it backup and running then I have a backup phone.
    Edit: You can't separate the glass realistically. I replaced the whole screen/LCD but now I'm looking for a replica adhesive to get the screen flush again (it goes flush with a little pressure). It wasn't that hard of a job to be honest.

Anyone got any ideas about a suitable adhesive?
    Last edited by Jonathan Wright1; 04-21-2013 at 09:48 AM. Reason: update
    Catalin Esanu likes this.

I know this thread is crazy old, I just replaced my 8x screen this evening. There are only two ribbon cables to remove, you heat the screen with a hair dryer, pop a plastic card between the screen, slap on the new one, reattach the two ribbon cables and it is ready to go.
    I bought the digitizer/lcd assembly. I am glad I did separating a broken digitizer from the screen assembly would not have been worth it.
    I was too rough on the body of mine and the volume button is no longer lining up right. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Jonathan Wright1 View Post
    Anyone got any ideas about a suitable adhesive?
    I did not use any new adhesive, I tried to scrape it onto the phone when I removed the screen.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    65 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Paper Blankets View Post
    I know this thread is crazy old, I just replaced my 8x screen this evening. There are only two ribbon cables to remove, you heat the screen with a hair dryer, pop a plastic card between the screen, slap on the new one, reattach the two ribbon cables and it is ready to go.
    I bought the digitizer/lcd assembly. I am glad I did separating a broken digitizer from the screen assembly would not have been worth it.
    I was too rough on the body of mine and the volume button is no longer lining up right. Good luck!

I did not use any new adhesive, I tried to scrape it onto the phone when I removed the screen.
    Hey, sorry to bump an old thread but I wanted to say it was helpful. I am about to attempt to take mine apart to replace the screen and wanted to clarify exactly what it entails, and how easy it was to heat and remove the screen. I don't have to unscrew the motherboards and whatnot, just disconnect two ribbon cables, put the new one on, and re-seal? The heat didnt damage the screen or anything? I have a heat gun and a blow drier - what should I start with? How sensitive are the parts I am heating?

I am replacing mine because it has these white marks on it (look like fingerprints) over the black portions.
    HTC window 8x cracked screen only what you need to buy is just lcd with digitalised screen at about $30-35 then replace with cracked one lsd come with digitalised screen if you can try i have one cracked to be fixed

My screen and the digitizer is all cracked and shattered. How do i retrieve my music off of it?? I cant see screen and its all broken and no use but still turns on. The windows desktop app says i need to unlock the phone but i cant put my code in cuz i cant see screen and i dont know if i can put in my code. please help?!