Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Results 1 to 15 of 15
Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By TheLuminis620
  • 1 Post By DavidinCT
  1. scooter165's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #1  
    As the title states, I managed to accidentally drop my month-old 8X onto the ground whilst getting up to open a door for someone (it was on my lap at the time), and it fell on the corner, and cracked the glass. I could take my phone to my carrier, which would cost me $80+, but I was wondering, could I do it myself? I can see a few video tutorials on how to take my phone apart and to replace the screen, but I'd need the parts for it.
    Does anyone have any advice? (Should I even try? Where can I get an OEM replacement? How much cheaper is it to do it myself versus have it done for me? etc.)

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. #2  
    Hey! Sorry about your phone mate. You can always look out for the screen or digitizer through eBay and such but unsure if they are OEM or not. But if you want to be sure of getting an OEM part, a specialist service center is the place. There was a thread somewhere in here where a guy accidentally damaged his 8X screen and a guy recommend to replace the whole set of screen instead of just the digitizer which if I am not mistaken due to the difficulty to remove the digitizer from the screen. You can always try but it's risky. If I was you, I would definitely take the phone to a specialist or carrier. I wouldn't care paying more as long as it's fixed by a professional rather than paying even more for completely damaging my phone.. Just my opinion ;)
    Nokia Lumia 620 - White
    scooter165 likes this.
  3. Stephen Vogel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #3  
    I think a do it yourself job will likely void your warranty so I reckon get it done properly if your finances allow
  4. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    17,387 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,934 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Vogel View Post
    I think a do it yourself job will likely void your warranty so I reckon get it done properly if your finances allow
    The warranty is already void if the device was physically damaged. Insurance will cover physical damage, but the manufacturer's warranty will not.
  5. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    17,387 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,934 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #5  
    Some posters have suggestions in this thread.
  6. scooter165's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #6  
    Alright guys, the general agreement appears to be that I should just get it repaired versus doing a DIY. I think I'll go and do that... I guess Thanks for the replies!
  7. scooter165's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #7  
    Eh, while I'm here... Does anyone have any recommendations for a good case? I'm not at all a fan of big, bulky cases (and I rarely drop my phone, this was my first time) but I'd like some self-security knowing that my phone (and wallet) could very likely survive another drop... The ones I'm eyeing are the Incipio DualPro Hard Case (Incipio DualPro Hard Case with Silicone Core for HTC 8X - Windows Phone Cases)
    and the HTC DoubleShot case (Amazon.com: HTC Windows Phone 8X Doubleshot Hard Shell Case - Blue (HC C810): Cell Phones & Accessories)
  8. Stephen Vogel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    The warranty is already void if the device was physically damaged. Insurance will cover physical damage, but the manufacturer's warranty will not.
    I realise the damage to the screen is not a warranty claim but I would have thought that if the repair was carried out by an authorised repairer then the warranty would remain in place for any future issues that would be covered by the warranty?
  9. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    17,387 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,934 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Vogel View Post
    I realise the damage to the screen is not a warranty claim but I would have thought that if the repair was carried out by an authorised repairer then the warranty would remain in place for any future issues that would be covered by the warranty?
    From HTC:

    7.

    THIS LIMITED WARRANTY SHALL NOT APPLY IF THE DEFECT WAS
    CAUSED THROUGH ANY OF THE FOLLOWING:
    c)

    use other than in accordance with the user manual, rough
    handling, exposure to moisture, dampness or extreme thermal
    or environmental conditions or a rapid change in such
    conditions, corrosion, oxidation, unauthorized modifications or
    connections, unauthorized opening or repair, repair by use of
    unauthorized spare parts, accidents, forces of nature, or other
    actions beyond the reasonable control of HTC (including but not
    limited to deficiencies in consumable parts) unless the defect
    was caused directly by defects in materials or workmanship. This
    Limited Warranty does not cover physical damage to the surface
    of the Product including but not limited to cracks or scratches on
    the LCD screen or camera lens
  10. Stephen Vogel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #10  
    Exactly, so long as the repair is carried out by an HTC authorised repairer then the warranty will remain in place for any future issues that would be covered by the warranty. I get the repair from the drop isn't covered by the manufacturers warranty.
  11. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    17,387 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,934 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Vogel View Post
    Exactly, so long as the repair is carried out by an HTC authorised repairer then the warranty will remain in place for any future issues that would be covered by the warranty. I get the repair from the drop isn't covered by the manufacturers warranty.
    The thing is HTC would blame anything that's wrong with the device on the drop. If any internal components failed, they would say the "rough handling" was the cause of the damage.
  12. Stephen Vogel's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    137 Posts
    Global Posts
    144 Global Posts
    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    The thing is HTC would blame anything that's wrong with the device on the drop. If any internal components failed, they would say the "rough handling" was the cause of the damage.
    They may well do but that's more of a case of HTC wriggling out of their obligations. Anyway, lets agree to disagree, we/I have hijacked this thread long enough:-)
  13. Laura Knotek's Avatar

    Posts
    17,387 Posts
    Global Posts
    32,934 Global Posts
    PIN
    Email
    #13  
    Quote Originally Posted by Stephen Vogel View Post
    They may well do but that's more of a case of HTC wriggling out of their obligations. Anyway, lets agree to disagree, we/I have hijacked this thread long enough:-)
    From Bell's site:
    The manufacturer's limited warranty does not cover defects or damage caused by:

    • improper storage
    • damage from liquids
    • unauthorized modification
    • misuse
    • neglect
    • abuse
    • accidents
    • alteration
    • improper installation
    • abnormal operating conditions
    • events outside of human control, such as natural disasters, for which no one can be held responsible.
  14. DavidinCT's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    1,928 Posts
    Global Posts
    1,931 Global Posts
    #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by scooter165 View Post
    As the title states, I managed to accidentally drop my month-old 8X onto the ground whilst getting up to open a door for someone (it was on my lap at the time), and it fell on the corner, and cracked the glass. I could take my phone to my carrier, which would cost me $80+, but I was wondering, could I do it myself? I can see a few video tutorials on how to take my phone apart and to replace the screen, but I'd need the parts for it.
    Does anyone have any advice? (Should I even try? Where can I get an OEM replacement? How much cheaper is it to do it myself versus have it done for me? etc.)

    Any help would be greatly appreciated!
    My advice, Dont do it yourself. This phone is very hard to get apart. If you do, get a combo, LCD/digitizer. Then they are fused together. Most people unless done right (not easy a 1 out of 10) will break the LCD. I've pulled apart a bunch of phones over the years and this one you have to pull completely apart to get to the LCD (sliders are easier on this part). I looked over great deal on how to pull the phone apart and OMG. I looked for them at one point as I was looking a phone with a broken display for cheap. Lowest I could find is around $150.

    If you didn't tell your carrier yet, call them up, see if they will add the insurance then 3-4 days later call and say you dropped it(pay the deductable). Or if it's only $80-120 to fix, do that, it's going to cost you that for the part alone, nevermind the few hours of attempting to replace it or even worse damaging you phone to a point where it's unusable.

    Good luck !
    XV6700(Apache)>XV6800->HTC Touch Pro 2(XV6875) ->HTC Trophy ->VZW HTC 8X ->Nokia Lumia 928 -> Nokia Lumia ICON (929)

    Thanked by:
    scooter165 likes this.
  15. scooter165's Avatar
    Member

    Posts
    5 Posts
       #15  
    I've decided to just ship it off to HTC, it's not worth the risk for such an expensive phone... I'm going to buy a case for it in the meantime!

Similar Threads

  1. where can i get a black HTC windows phone 8x?
    By dookie dave in forum Windows Phone 8
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 12-25-2012, 06:43 PM
  2. So uh where can we get this? (windows phone app preview)
    By oldpueblo in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 11-01-2012, 04:01 AM
  3. Where can I get a document viewer for CSV Files
    By ramtwins25 in forum Windows Phone Apps
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-24-2012, 02:01 PM
  4. Where can I get my new ringtones?
    By Winterfang in forum Windows Phone 7
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 10-04-2011, 09:32 PM

Posting Permissions