HTC's hardware better than Nokia?

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Having been a loyal user of windows phone since it came out, and having had windows phone from LG, Samsung, Nokia and two from HTC I have got an impression of what each manufacture offer, build quality wise. One thing I don't get is why people are raving about Nokias hardware quality and especially the Lumia range of handsets. I just sent back my L920 due to a rattling vibrator, headphone jack problems and as some other people have pointed out the rubber gasket gap around the screen allowing dust to get it. I've never been impressed with Nokias build quality, having had other Symbian based Nokias with creaking cases and dust under the screens. What really stings is the fact I paid ?530 for it. Not good at all. I may have just been unlucky, but I'm still not sold on them.

Ever since using HTC's I have been sold on their quality. I have personally had perfect experiences with the ones I have had. My Titan which I have now replaced with the 8X, I had one full year and it still looked and felt like new (I did have a screen protector on it all its life and always kept it in a soft pouch) but this still bodes well for their durability, considering we live in a throw away - nothing is built to last anymore society. The 8X feels even more premium. The finish is near on flawless and the structure of the phone feels like a solid piece of gold, honestly. No creaks, no rattles and everything is flush and fits perfectly, and it was around?150 cheaper than the L920.

Anyways what do you guys think? Agree? Or disagree ? . . . . . .

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
Hi, For me it's a different story. I had so much problems with 2 HTC 8X. First one I had was with the top screen. It was flickering right under the HTC name for at least 5 to 6 min when I booted it up.

My second 8X phone, well I have the crackling sound that some people get, discoloring corners, on 1 corner I got the peel off problem, random reboot issues and now my phone is gone for repair since the was rebooting in a loop until it wouldn't boot up at all even if it was plugged in.

Let me tell you that for sure I take extra good care with my phones. I still have an old iPhone 3GS when it came out and it is in near perfect condition. I had the HTC HD7 which only had 1 scratch on it and it happen because somebody else was holding the phone and drop it ;)

I really hope that my current HTC 8X comes back with at least the reboot fix, no more crackling issues.....(In my mind I hope that I get a new one ;) )

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
My experience with the Evo was enough to keep me from seriously considering an HTC unless it knocked me out. The 8x didn't. I just don't care for the appearance and felt the 920 had more to offer. But it's my personal preference. You experience was the exact opposite. I'm sure there are many who agree with you.

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi, For me it's a different story. I had so much problems with 2 HTC 8X. First one I had was with the top screen. It was flickering right under the HTC name for at least 5 to 6 min when I booted it up.

My second 8X phone, well I have the crackling sound that some people get, discoloring corners, on 1 corner I got the peel off problem, random reboot issues and now my phone is gone for repair since the was rebooting in a loop until it wouldn't boot up at all even if it was plugged in.

Let me tell you that for sure I take extra good care with my phones. I still have an old iPhone 3GS when it came out and it is in near perfect condition. I had the HTC HD7 which only had 1 scratch on it and it happen because somebody else was holding the phone and drop it ;)

I really hope that my current HTC 8X comes back with at least the reboot fix, no more crackling issues.....(In my mind I hope that I get a new one ;) )

I had your issues as well before I traded my 8x for a Lumia 810. Also, Nokia has a better reputation than HTC for build quality.

However, I will say this. Overall, I think HTC devices are waaaaaaaaaaaaay prettier than Nokia's. Even the 8x is better than the Lumia 920. But beauty doesn't equal durability and I'll take durability over beauty any day...

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
Having been a loyal user of windows phone since it came out, and having had windows phone from LG, Samsung, Nokia and two from HTC I have got an impression of what each manufacture offer, build quality wise. One thing I don't get is why people are raving about Nokias hardware quality and especially the Lumia range of handsets. I just sent back my L920 due to a rattling vibrator, headphone jack problems and as some other people have pointed out the rubber gasket gap around the screen allowing dust to get it. I've never been impressed with Nokias build quality, having had other Symbian based Nokias with creaking cases and dust under the screens. What really stings is the fact I paid ?530 for it. Not good at all. I may have just been unlucky, but I'm still not sold on them.

Ever since using HTC's I have been sold on their quality. I have personally had perfect experiences with the ones I have had. My Titan which I have now replaced with the 8X, I had one full year and it still looked and felt like new (I did have a screen protector on it all its life and always kept it in a soft pouch) but this still bodes well for their durability, considering we live in a throw away - nothing is built to last anymore society. The 8X feels even more premium. The finish is near on flawless and the structure of the phone feels like a solid piece of gold, honestly. No creaks, no rattles and everything is flush and fits perfectly, and it was around?150 cheaper than the L920.

Anyways what do you guys think? Agree? Or disagree ? . . . . . .

Completely AGREE. I've had every brand of smartphone except LG. I got a Lumia 900 on launch day (actually the Monday after launch day since the 900 launched on Easter Sunday when all the AT&T stores were closed). I sold the 900 a month later and bought a brand new Titan 2 on ebay. Loved that phone, bought an 8x when it was released and I love it too. I definitely prefer HTC over Nokia and, like you, do not understand all the fuss over the Lumia line. People are all gaga over the 920 and it seems to be plagued with bugs and pretty much a big ugly brick. The screen is awesome though.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
I had your issues as well before I traded my 8x for a Lumia 810. Also, Nokia has a better reputation than HTC for build quality.

However, I will say this. Overall, I think HTC devices are waaaaaaaaaaaaay prettier than Nokia's. Even the 8x is better than the Lumia 920. But beauty doesn't equal durability and I'll take durability over beauty any day...
I wish that I could trade mine but my carrier doesn't have any Nokia phones! :-(

Garghas

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I also returned my HTC 8X, worst buy ever. After 8 days my edges were all black, and my phone was the blue version. Horrible.
Got myself a 920 and untill now I can only say I'm extremelly satisfied in every sense. Not to mention that, because of the weight, it feels a whole lot more sturdy.
But offcourse, we all have different experiences. In my case, HTC, never again.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
I would never say Nokia hardware is rubbish, the fact is Nokia and HTC are two fo the best out there, and whether we are talking about Nokias or HTC's, there are going to be those of us who do have problems with them. I mean when they are making thousands upon thousands its inevitable that there are going to be a few which are not what they are supposed to be. I do think there is something we can all agree on, Nokia or HTC are more durable than the Iphone 4 upwards. I say that because the earlier iPhones I Believe where much tougher, but you guys have to check out the iPhone 5 "bending" thing that's going around. They whole of the chassis bends due to Apple making the 5 thinner without toughening it up.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Completely AGREE. I've had every brand of smartphone except LG. I got a Lumia 900 on launch day (actually the Monday after launch day since the 900 launched on Easter Sunday when all the AT&T stores were closed). I sold the 900 a month later and bought a brand new Titan 2 on ebay. Loved that phone, bought an 8x when it was released and I love it too. I definitely prefer HTC over Nokia and, like you, do not understand all the fuss over the Lumia line. People are all gaga over the 920 and it seems to be plagued with bugs and pretty much a big ugly brick. The screen is awesome though.

Exactly what I thought. The Lumia 920 does have a nice display size wise, its better for texting for a kick off but that is the only good thing I can say about it. Like you said, the amount of bugs and quality problems people are reporting with them and those threads are full with consistent problems - battery life, build quality problems and software niggles. Obviously no device is going to be perfect throughout their production run but the price of the Lumia 920 I paid was ridiculous.

sportrckr

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am a huge fan of HTC, especially my HTC 8X. I think they've got some of the better build quality out there (sure they might have some cosmetic issues) but they're built tough from my experiences and have been happily recommending them to others; Windows Phone and Android alike.

I've never owned a Nokia device (not even one of the old bricks) but I know the reputation of Nokia and believe that they have brought some of that reputation to the Lumia line. But for me personally the size and design of the 8X is what won me over, and have never been happier.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
The main thing that sold me on the 8x is the size, shape and feel. It is just a good feeling, sleek little phone. Drops right in my pocket without weighing me down.
Sent from my PM23300 using Board Express

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I am a happy HTC user...for the most part, I have a few duds here and there but, when you have a good one, they are solid and reliable. This being said, if verizon had a Lumia 920, I might of given them a shot. Out of my choices for WM and WP devices on Verizon, they were all HTC, so I didn't have much of a option (the 822 is a low end model in my books), so I have a 8X and besides the lack of expandable storage, I am very happy with it.

As for the discolor problem on the 8X, I wear jeans to work, My phone is ALWAYS in my jeans, and know what ? My black corners on my phone still look new. No problems there.

jaj324

Banned
May 12, 2012
Visit site
Same here. I wear jeans every day. My blue 8x lives in my right front pocket. No case, screen in, top down. Still looks new.

Westiemom

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I've never had a problem with HTC. I had the original HTC Droid Incredible and it was a great phone - no problems. And now the 8X and it is solid and beautiful. I hear all the complaints but I have had none of the problems mentioned. And I think the Gorilla Glass screen is fantastic. The Galaxy Nexus I had previous to this did not have it and the Bionic I had prior to the Nexus did. I missed the Gorilla Glass immensely on the Nexus. Not only is it sturdier, but I think it also doesn't smear and hold prints as badly and is easier to wipe clean. I'm very, very happy with all aspects of the 8X!

Honestabebread

Feb 5, 2012
Visit site
Both manufacturers are ace. I do prefer the newer HTCs though. My 8X is amazing. The Droid DNA is awesome, One X+ is awesome. M7 looks to be awesome.

I still don't get why Samsung is #1 and HTC is #5. Samsungs are absolute junk compared to HTCs.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
The main thing that sold me on the 8x is the size, shape and feel. It is just a good feeling, sleek little phone. Drops right in my pocket without weighing me down.

Yes. the design on the 8X is very distinguishable. Very un-HTC like. I've always liked the conservative no nonsense minimalist look of their phone, and the new windows 8 line up are now helping to mirror the Windows Phone software through the design, like the Lumias. It is very sleek and I can hardly believe that it is nearly the same thickness as the Lumia 920. Its amazing what their engineers have done. I would call it little though, its even longer than the 920 and a hairline shorter than the Galaxy S3! But having the 8X and using it now for a week or so I do prefer these phone to be long and thin, so to speak.

Oliver Newell

Dec 15, 2012
Visit site
Both manufacturers are ace. I do prefer the newer HTCs though. My 8X is amazing. The Droid DNA is awesome, One X+ is awesome. M7 looks to be awesome.

I still don't get why Samsung is #1 and HTC is #5. Samsungs are absolute junk compared to HTCs.

Me too. If you search "Samsung Galaxy S3 build quality cracks" you see picture of the S3's cheap and nasty plastic housing actually cracking through stress, and this Is on 3 week old phones. The so called "polycarbonate" battery cover people are reporting cracking around the camera cut out. 4 or more years ago Samsung phones had very solid build quality made out of sturdier stuff, but now, as they are making 5 times as many phones as they were back then, cost cutting now seams to have taken over quality. Anyway I have always thought and still do think Samsung phones, even the s3 are feel very cheap and brittle. All current Samsung's do.

reckoner79

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Much better, I regret selling my 8x and getting stuck with defective 920 after defective 920. The exclusive apps aren't enough of an incentive for dealing with Nokia's shoddy build quality.

Westiemom

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I have a friend at work who was ready to upgrade her phone and trying to decide which one to get. She absolutely loved my 8X and kept asking to look at it. She oohed and aahed and couldn't stop talking about it. But what did she get? Yesterday she got the Galaxy SIII. Asked her why and she said, well it is the most popular phone right now and the one everybody wants, so had to have it. Go figure that! (She's very hard on phones too, so it will be broken in a month or two.)

Staff online

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3