OsT Pathology

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Hi all!

I just picked up my 8X from Verizon yesterday. So far I'm loving it!

So a few questions:

What's this about an update that we don't have yet? And what's the Skype thing people are complaining about?

Any tips and tricks would be nice as well :) along with some suggested apps.

Any information at all is appreciated!

Thanks! Glad to be here! WP8 is nice and refreshing coming from my GNex.

Westiemom

Jan 1, 2013
Visit site
I came from Galaxy Nexus too and love my 8X so much more. You can get lots of good advice here. If you want a really great news app that works beautifully on the 8X, get Weave. I use it every day. Also download the Nokia Drive + Beta now while its free! It is a great voice guided navigation app. Don't know if you're into astronomy, but Astronomy Hub is a beautiful app with daily pictures and articles on astronomical objects. I love it! And for a great weather app, get Amazing Weather.

Also, Wikipedia is great on Windows OS and Metro Tube is the best You Tube app for Windows phone in my opinion. WSJ Live (Wall Street Journal) is a collection of short video news offerings on different subjects each day and it is very good.

Anyway, that's the apps I have enjoyed most so far......welcome to the 8X!

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral and the 8X! Reading these forums will give you lots of info about your new phones. Another source, especially for those that aren't smartphone-savvy is windowsphone.com. There are lots of tutorials on the basics of these phone. My parents just got Windows Phones and I sent them there to get the basics down.

jgraves4480

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Skype is fine. Not sure u get ur msgs with it though. As for the update, I don't see a need for it. I have only had issues with bad apps causing battery drain and weirdness.

OsT Pathology

Feb 17, 2013
Visit site
Welcome to WPCentral and the 8X! Reading these forums will give you lots of info about your new phones. Another source, especially for those that aren't smartphone-savvy is windowsphone.com. There are lots of tutorials on the basics of these phone. My parents just got Windows Phones and I sent them there to get the basics down.

I'm pretty phone savvy. I rooted and flashed etc. all my android phones.

Thanks for all the info guys, and the warm welcomes! :) good little community here it seems.

Is there a way to "root" this phone? And if so, are there any advantages really to doing so? Personally, I think the phone is just fine, but if there's definite advantages to it....I'm on board.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I don't believe there are any hacks for WP8 at this time. Some if the WP7 devices were hackable, namely the HTC's, but nowhere near like rooting an android phone.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Duouser3