Maps/Navigation Question ...

welchpm

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
I've had my Verizon 8x for a couple weeks now and overall I'm pretty happy (came from on iPhone 4s). The one thing I hate about the 8x though is the maps/location features. Perhaps (hopefully!) it's just user error, or I'm missing something - but is there a way to indicate which direction your facing when you're in maps? I travel A LOT and always find myself using maps to figure out where I'm going and which direction I'm heading. One thing I loved about my iPhone was the ability to turn around while holding the device to see which way I'm oriented vis-a-vis the map.

welchpm

Feb 18, 2013
Visit site
Thx, but unfortunately seems Drive+ doesn't work overseas (I'm currently in Hong Kong and getting a SIM error, despite having an international roaming plan).

*sigh*

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I've visited over a dozen countries with Drive+. It works great overseas (North America and Europe). I haven't yet used it in Hong Kong, but according to Nokia Support that isn't a problem. However, because maps are very large, you do need to download them over WiFi (manage maps). This is ideally done before you leave home, otherwise you need to find a public WiFi access point. I would try that.

Nenomk2

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
I've visited over a dozen countries with Drive+. It works great overseas (North America and Europe). I haven't yet used it in Hong Kong, but according to Nokia Support that isn't a problem. However, because maps are very large, you do need to download them over WiFi (manage maps). This is ideally done before you leave home, otherwise you need to find a public WiFi access point. I would try that.

Drive only works in US, UK and Canada... still not supported for 8x outside those countries...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Drive only works in US, UK and Canada... still not supported for 8x outside those countries...

You can't be serious, can you? I know that people without a Nokia Lumia can only install Nokia Drive+ if their MS account is set to one of those three countries, but surely they can then use any of the international maps, right?

Can anyone with a 8x confirm?

Nenomk2

Jan 25, 2013
Visit site
You can't be serious, can you? I know that people without a Nokia Lumia can only install Nokia Drive+ if their MS account is set to one of those three countries, but surely they can then use any of the international maps, right?

Can anyone with a 8x confirm?

That is what they have told me when I tried to download the drive via website. That my location is not supported. Other than that I do not know... Waiting for the drive to become available :D

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
That is what they have told me when I tried to download the drive via website. That my location is not supported. Other than that I do not know... Waiting for the drive to become available :D

edit: looks like you were right. The non-plus versions are apparently regional. They don't get international maps.

Last edited:

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
OP can you check your Nokia Drive, settings, Navigation license?
Normally it shows global, at least on 920 and 620 I have seen.

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Nokia has just rebranded their suite of location apps to HERE. As of now, HERE Maps, HERE Drive and HERE Transit are available to all Windows Phone 8 users in many countries. If they don't show up on your phone store, use IE to search the web and find the links to the windows phone store website. Clicking the links there will show them on your phone and you can install them.

Some countries are still unsupported but they have launched the new suite in many, including Mexico, which wasn't available before.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chuffster