Welcome to the Windows Central Forums Create Your Account or Ask a Question Answers in 5 minutes - no registration required!
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Like Tree114Likes

Global Posts
    3,604 Global Posts
    I'm getting annoyed by the fact that when apps are coming out for WP, they are timed Nokia exclusives. This isn't making me want to leave my 8X for a Lumia.. it's making me want to leave the entire platform.

Nokia needs to stop buying exclusives, it's getting annoying and it's hurting the platform in general. Exclusives for an entire platform is one thing (360/Ps3), but exclusive apps between phone manufacturers is just out of control.

The last thing WP needs are apps being held hostage by dumb crap like this..

Global Posts
    140 Global Posts
    Nokia is doing what they need to do to sell phones. IF HTC would do the same and also start supporting app developers maybe things would move along a bit faster. You'r barking up the wrong tree and instead should be talking to HTC about why they only seem interested in WP for the purpose of borrowing from it to differentiate in the Android market.

I'm getting really annoyed about this knot in me knickers..

As for the apps. Its referred to as "value-added". Of course HTC knows nothing of that do they?
    Support your third-party developers. There just about all we have...

Global Posts
    183 Global Posts
    Those that have Lumia are obviously gonna say no, so no.

Global Posts
    267 Global Posts
    I have a Lumia 920 and i am not annoyed.
    Thanked by:
    mattcald, fbloise, jasonxz and 4 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    I'm getting annoyed by the fact that when apps are coming out for WP, they are timed Nokia exclusives. This isn't making me want to leave my 8X for a Lumia.. it's making me want to leave the entire platform.

Nokia needs to stop buying exclusives, it's getting annoying and it's hurting the platform in general. Exclusives for an entire platform is one thing (360/Ps3), but exclusive apps between phone manufacturers is just out of control.

The last thing WP needs are apps being held hostage by dumb crap like this..
    I own a Lumia 920 and I got to agree with him. One has to look at the platform and phone manufacturers betting on the platform as a holistic ecosystem. Creating exclusives just for one manufacturer and binding it to them leaving the others out is a shame. Everybody has to work together for the benefit of all. So if HTC gets no apps, Samsung gets no apps and they all come out to be Nokia exclusives, all that will live on is Nokia and WP8/9/10..or whatever. Seriously, empathize and tell me do we need that to happen?
    Olerius and Denny Prijadi like this.

Global Posts
    717 Global Posts
    No.

Global Posts
    3,604 Global Posts
    Apps are what make or break a platform.. and if Nokia keeps buying exclusives, less people are likely to buy HTC or Samsung phones.. while good for Nokia, it's bad for Windows Phone as a whole.

Think about some guy/girl that buys an HTC phone, see's it doesn't have "Zuma" or "Words With Friends" and leaves for an Android phone/iPhone.. not realizing it's available for WP, just that a specific manufacturer bought exclusivity.
    LeLee092 and Olerius like this.

Global Posts
    864 Global Posts
    yup but I don't blame Nokia rather give them credit for putting more effort in the OS than MS. MS should just sign a deal with nokia and have Nokia run as it's mobile division.
    Thanked by:
    fbloise, sueha, jasonxz and 5 others like this.

Maybe if a Facebook-authored Facebook app that works properly or Instagram or G+ or Google Maps or Citibank or HBO Go or Dropbox or Flipboard or, or, or, or... came out as Lumia-only, then sure - that would suck a lot and hurt the platform. But Bejeweled? Is that the one killer app you can't live another two months without?

Global Posts
    3,604 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by cameradork View Post
    Maybe if a Facebook-authored Facebook app that works properly or Instagram or G+ or Google Maps or Citibank or HBO Go or Dropbox or Flipboard or, or, or, or... came out as Lumia-only, then sure - that would suck a lot and hurt the platform. But Bejeweled? Is that the one killer app you can't live another two months without?
    Who's to say that Nokia wouldn't buy exclusivity for some of those apps? I would say Words With Friends could be a big user puller, same with Instagram, Pinterest, etc..

I bet people who work as sales reps inside carrier stores get a ton of questions on whether or not a specific app is available on the phone they are buying, and if it's not, they look to alternatives.

The unjustified default moan about Windows Phone is the size of the app marketplace in comparison to iOS and Android.
    As a Windows Phone fan, I don't think all these Nokia exclusives are a good thing.
    As a person yet to upgrade from WP7.5 these app exclusives aren't enough to convince me to buy a Lumia.

Quite glad I haven't committed yet, after reading the specs of the HTC One I'm now hoping they release something similar for WP8 as the 920 is just too heavy for my taste.
    Nokia Lumia 1520
    Recently divorced from a long relationship with HTC devices

looks like your in for a treat when nokia announces their new lumias next week ;)

If nokia is giving money to these developers to bring apps to the platform that otherwise would not have come I don't see the problem here.

Not so far, other than with Nokia Drive, which has now moved out of exclusivity. The apps and games that are exclusives now are largely not of sufficient standard to warrant any jealousy, although it does make me wonder why HTC are not doing anything, even releasing their existing apps for Windows phone 8.

The Lumias themselves are enough to put me off them. The 920 is the worst Windows Phone 8 device there is. The phone is too big and too heavy and the device is so unstable compared to the 8X. We've got three at work and the Mrs has one at home and they freeze all the time, even with the latest updates. I've, touch wood, never had the 8X freeze on me.

I just hope HTC continue to support Windows phone as I can't see myself buying a Nokia unless they improve a lot.

Global Posts
    327 Global Posts
    Being the owner of an 8X after selling my 820, I think it's a good thing. You support Nokia, they thank you by pulling in exclusives.

So, no, I'm not pissed.
    Thanked by:
    mafu6 and Jacco Paauw like this.

I don't really care about any of the apps they have exclusively. So no.

Quote Originally Posted by sniffs View Post
    Who's to say that Nokia wouldn't buy exclusivity for some of those apps? I would say Words With Friends could be a big user puller, same with Instagram, Pinterest, etc..

I bet people who work as sales reps inside carrier stores get a ton of questions on whether or not a specific app is available on the phone they are buying, and if it's not, they look to alternatives.
    If that gets these companies to actually produce the apps for WP8, it'll be worth it. My guess is that a social network wouldn't want exclusivity since they thrive on number of users.

Quote Originally Posted by busngabb View Post

The Lumias themselves are enough to put me off them. The 920 is the worst Windows Phone 8 device there is. The phone is too big and too heavy and the device is so unstable compared to the 8X. We've got three at work and the Mrs has one at home and they freeze all the time, even with the latest updates. I've, touch wood, never had the 8X freeze on me.

I've had mine since launch day and it has never frozen. I like the size and weight and it's been nothing but stable. Therefore it's the best Windows Phone 8 device there is.
    Thanked by:
    pnhd, jasonxz and stmav like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cameradork View Post
    I've had mine since launch day and it has never frozen. I like the size and weight and it's been nothing but stable. Therefore it's the best Windows Phone 8 device there is.
    An equally valid opinion. I bet you are lying on the freezing issue though😉

Quote Originally Posted by busngabb View Post
    An equally valid opinion. I bet you are lying on the freezing issue though
    People don't lie on forums.

It really never has frozen, though. To be fair, I don't use my phone as much as most people here seem to, and I'm not a big app person. I mainly use it for texting, some calls, Facebook, Weave for news when I'm out, checking email here and there, and the camera, which I love :) Once in awhile I use it to navigate somewhere new or look something up on Google. It probably sees a half hour/45 mins of use a day at best, and I baby it like I do with all my electronics. I've read about all of the problems that plagued early models, and luckily have dodged them all (except the not-very-sharp photos prior to Portico issue)

You will eventually get whatever the exclusive app is. Its a question of patience. But Nokia is paying the cost to be the boss.
    Thanked by:

Global Posts
    746 Global Posts
    Freezing is probably hardware issue. Go get an exchange if yours is freezing. I have tried every bad app out there and couldn't freeze my phone.

I originally planned to get a 920 specifically because I wanted access to Nokia's exclusive apps, but I couldn't because the phone was exclusive to AT&T. Ah, irony.

Nope, cos I have a Lumia 920.
Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast