Group Text Verizon

DrummerJDM

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
I'm sure most of you know that with the release of Portico that Group Texting was still NOT addressed. It is my hope that someone figures out an app that can provide this functionality to us as I don't believe we can rely on Verizon anymore. Does anyone know of any current apps that support this functionality? My fiance's family all have iPhones and group text can be annoying. :)

rocking23nf

Feb 21, 2013
Visit site
im not sure of the issue, but i noticed in my settings today an option for group text and it was turned to off. I have never group texted before and dont know if that info will help you or not, just thought i would share it, im on Bell Canada with the latest OS.

Andrew Z

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
That's the only thing stopping me from switching to vzw... the only solution I have heard of is something like groupme, but that's obviously not the same... I'm not about to convince everyone I know to switch from normal texting to groupme.

11B1P

Sep 5, 2011
Visit site
Ok, I have an 822 on Vzn, but try this. Go to into your People Hub. Swipe to the right (left side of the "All" listing). Do you see Groups listed? This is where I set up my group texting. I can group text to all sorts of different phone OS's.

DrummerJDM

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
I can send texts to groups but I can't receive texts from a group. They come in as individual texts. When I reply I reply to one person.

toddro6

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
I have been looking for the same kind of thing, but have found nothing. I am not going to try to build a new "Group" or "Room" everytime I want to do a group text. My friends and family are big into the group texting thing, so it is extremely difficult not knowing if a message sent to me is just to me or if to a whole group...so frustrating.

Verizon needs to fix this, but I can't imagine they will anytime soon.

jasqid

Jan 14, 2011
Visit site
I don't think they will fix it. I saw a Verizon post back in Dec that said Verizon is doing away with group SMS.

DrummerJDM

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
I don't think they will fix it. I saw a Verizon post back in Dec that said Verizon is doing away with group SMS.

I figured that they won't. I was wondering if there is any kind of alternative solution. For instance on Android I used GO SMS which worked great for this.

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
I can send texts to groups but I can't receive texts from a group. They come in as individual texts. When I reply I reply to one person.

Just wanted to let you know, you may think you're replying to one person but you are not. Everyone included on the group text will receive your replies. There is no way to distinguish this and it's a massive security concern. This is all Verizon's fault. If anyone doesn't believe me test it yourself.

berty6294

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
Just wanted to let you know, you may think you're replying to one person but you are not. Everyone included on the group text will receive your replies. There is no way to distinguish this and it's a massive security concern. This is all Verizon's fault. If anyone doesn't believe me test it yourself.

Wait, will they receive it in the group text thread? Or in a separate?

Nov 7, 2012
Visit site
Wait, will they receive it in the group text thread? Or in a separate?

Separate thread. The point is, any text you receive on your phone may be a group text and there's no way to know if it is or not. Also, any text you reply to can potentially be sent to other people without you knowing if it is a group text.

Summary: No texts are private on Verizon phones. Anyone can group text your phone and allow all recipients to eavesdrop on your conversation without you knowing.

DrummerJDM

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
So I have heard GroupMe will allow you to receive group messages but I have no idea how it works. Are there any other alternative apps out there?

toddro6

Dec 5, 2012
Visit site
So I have heard GroupMe will allow you to receive group messages but I have no idea how it works. Are there any other alternative apps out there?

as far as I can tell, it is no different than the Rooms feature already offered by the phone.

It is really hard to convince your friends to come into your room. It sounds creepy too.

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
According to Verizon, you don't need Group Text capabilities. I saw this on the internet and you can't put anything on the internet that isn't true.

LOL, LOL, LOL

DrummerJDM

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
I guess we will just have to wait and see whether Verizon decides to be graceful or if someone comes up with a way to make group text a reality on Verizon. It's just sad that Verizon would limit a phone's capabilities however their network is just unbeatable where I live.

DrummerJDM

Apr 14, 2008
Visit site
So just an update, I asked Verizon in a very formal posting on their community forum why they removed this functionality and they just removed my post. LOL

ny_yankees

Nov 11, 2012
Visit site
Drummer I see your post in Verizon Community. I am a frequent member there. Unfortunately Community is a peer to peer forum. So you won't really find any company based knowledge. Any VZ Customer Care representatives there do no answer any question other than trying to give troubleshooting feedback. Your best bet is too directly Email or contact Verizon Customer service

Perhaps you can join in this discussion
https://community.verizonwireless.com/message/936195#936195

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
infohills