Cracked Glass - Quality of parts

PhrenicSystems

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I cracked my screen a couple days ago and have been investigating options. From the other threads separating the glass and LCD is supposedly very difficult. I was looking on ebay and saw these for sale which is the digitizer and LCD as one piece. Was wondering if anyone had ordered one and if so what is the the quality like. Is it the same as what is in the phone to begin with.

LCD Display + Touch Screen Digitizer For HTC Windows Phone 8X LTE C625e C625b | eBay

o4liberty

Oct 28, 2011
Visit site
That seem like a lot of money to me it might be cheaper and safer to buy a used device on eBay. This is the exact reason I always carry insurance even if I buy used I purchase a warranty from Square Trade.

PhrenicSystems

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
110 is the cost of the glass and the LCD as one unit. That doesn't seem all that expensive to me. It is the cheapest price I have seen as most are 150-200. Phone is already unlocked and I would like to keep this one if possible. I would be doing the fix myself so there is no labour cost.

failed1234

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
You are most definitely (probably) going to break your phone. I would advise against repairing it yourself. Like that other guy said, just get a new one.
Sent from my HTC 8x using Board Express

HIllste1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I rate by skills slightly above average at best, and I was able to swap out the digitizer. It was not easy and I'm not sure if I would do it again but it saved me a hundred dollars this time.

PhrenicSystems

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
You are most definitely (probably) going to break your phone. I would advise against repairing it yourself. Like that other guy said, just get a new one.

I am an IT guy and have completely disassembled laptops, cell phones and other devices before. I am pretty comfortable with this. The way I look at it if I buy the part and can't fix it then I sell the part and buy a new phone. If I fix it then I have saved a bunch of money. Plus it saves me unlocking another device.

As the original post said I am more concerned about the quality of the part I am buying and wanted to see if anyone else had purchased it.

HIllste1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I bought my digitizer from dealsishop.com. (I know its an awful name) and I was impressed with quality and service. They called the day after the order to notify me of a back order and offered the more expensive unbranded version for the same price.

failed1234

Dec 28, 2012
Visit site
I am an IT guy and have completely disassembled laptops, cell phones and other devices before. I am pretty comfortable with this. The way I look at it if I buy the part and can't fix it then I sell the part and buy a new phone. If I fix it then I have saved a bunch of money. Plus it saves me unlocking another device.

As the original post said I am more concerned about the quality of the part I am buying and wanted to see if anyone else had purchased it.
Well then go ahead.

PhrenicSystems

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
I bought my digitizer from dealsishop.com. (I know its an awful name) and I was impressed with quality and service. They called the day after the order to notify me of a back order and offered the more expensive unbranded version for the same price.

How hard was it to get the broken digitizer off of the LCD?

HIllste1

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
I apoligize, I orginally replied to this forum from my phone, and didn't see the first post, or that it was in the HTC 8X forum. I have a lumia 920. But here's my 2 cents for what its worth.

I'm guessing it was l little easier to change out a broken one vs one you want to reuse becasue I could work a little faster not being concerned damaging it.

I did run into an issue with havign to remove excess glue from the frame, becasue it was not a "clean" removal, and I also took a short cut by not removing the main board before begining to remove the digitizer, but I read that you must be very carefull applying the heat necessary to break down the glue so you do not over heat the memory board/SOC. I kept the temp under 120 on the glass and didn't have any problems, but I did read about people frying theirs. Also I think I should have warmed up the double sided tape a little before applying it. It took quite a bit of pressure to make the digitzer seat correctly.

PhrenicSystems

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
They do have it cheaper - thanks for the heads up. Only 73 dollars. Looks like you have shipping cost but it still should be cheaper.

Here is the link for people that are interested.

HTC 8X LCD Screen and Digitizer Assembly with Light Guide

They also have the digitizer alone for 25.

In my case I found someone selling their 8x on the cheap. I bought that. Now that I have a replacement I am going to pull my broken 8x apart and see about fixing it. I am going to try and get the Digitizer off without breaking the LCD so we will see how that goes. I will write up a report and take some pictures for those interested.

jhajj33

Feb 28, 2013
Visit site
I would definitely appreciate it if you could report back on the digitizer. I contacted HTC about exchanging my phone due to an unspeakable amount of resets I have to do daily due to SIM card errors, and literally 30 minutes later, the phone drops off of my desk and gets a crack in the bottom corner. I'm gonna be totally honest with HTC about what happened, maybe they'll take pity, but I know I'm gonna be stuck with rebooting every hour AND a cracked screen. Oh well, looking forward to your report in that case! Maybe I can save a few bucks by only having to buy the digitizer if it's not too bad. Already had to do this with an LG Thrill.

abek0

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
The digitizer is impossible to split away from the LCD on this phone. Im an electronics technician in an electronics repair store. You must take apart the whole assembly. The phone is easy to take apart, as I have done it myself. The only problem would be not getting tool marks on the midframe as you take the phone apart. Everything is connected to the back of the digitizer/lcd assembly. So you MUST be very careful, or you might just end up frying your phone. If you end up doing that, atleast you can warranty your phone with the new screen on it with your carrier, if you have insurance. But I would carefully watch a good video on how to disassemble the phone. As for me, it was not difficult, but for others, it might be. HTC 8x Touch Screen Digitizer LCD Display Assembly Compatible with T Mobile at T | eBay That is the exact link to my own vendors eBay page where I got my assembly from. Hope this helped, please get back to me if you are successful!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon