Buy a Verizon HTC 8X or wait for the "Nokia Laser"?

B_RAD89

Jan 13, 2013
Visit site
I was debating on wether or not I wanted to buy a nice red HTC 8X or wait who knows how long until Microsoft/Nokia announces the Nokia Laser. I love the design, the 822 just looks bland and ugly to me so thats not an option. And as an even bigger plus Nokia's HERE maps, navigation, and transit apps just got released to non Lumia phones. So should I go ahead and get the 8X or wait until we get concrete details on the Nokia Laser for Verizon? If not why do you love your HTC 8X?

Dadstar0410

Oct 22, 2012
Visit site
Waiting for the next phone around the corner is a perpetual game.

Agreed, but it isn't as bad as you think. It is worst with Android, pretty bad with iOS, but WP8 is not that bad simply because all carriers don't have a lot of WP8 devices. For example, Verizon only has the 8X, the Laser, and the 822 and probably won't get another for awhile.

I'd say wait a little longer till features/specs leak out, and if you like it and can afford to wait about 3-4 months, then wait. I would've gotten a Nokia device had 1) a high-end one went to Verizon, and 2) the form factor was better. Simply because of the support.

abek0

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
Btw, I love my HTC 8x. But, if the new surface phone is gonna be awesome, I'll be switching over.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

clbarker10

Feb 20, 2013
Visit site
The 8x now has Nokia 'HERE' and offline maps. If you love a solid design then you might want the 8x over lumia. Not bashing lumia or anything, just posting my opinion that the 8x has a superior build quality than Nokia's available Window's phones right now. Not to mention it does have better sound and picture due to Beats audio and a slightly smaller yet sharper display. You will get a few more bells and whistles with Nokia especially if you wait for the next one but you have a very solid phone available by HTC right now.

abek0

Feb 26, 2013
Visit site
The 8x seems to be overpowering the Lumia at the moment. As I keep reading through the forums, I'm seeing that the Lumia is having a lot of problems. Especially with being bricked.
Sent from my HTC6990LVW using Board Express

sravanv

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
The 8x now has Nokia 'HERE' and offline maps. If you love a solid design then you might want the 8x over lumia. Not bashing lumia or anything, just posting my opinion that the 8x has a superior build quality than Nokia's available Window's phones right now. Not to mention it does have better sound and picture due to Beats audio and a slightly smaller yet sharper display. You will get a few more bells and whistles with Nokia especially if you wait for the next one but you have a very solid phone available by HTC right now.

On the money. Nokia will never be as good as HTC in the design department. I owned an 8x for a month or so before switching to Lumia 810. Actual build QUALITY can be debated. I would argue that Nokia has a better track record. Also, from personal experience, I babied my HTC 8x and found a few quality issues whereas I have banged around my Lumia 810 and it has held up quite nicely (dropped it on wood floor a few times. Why yes, I'm very clumsy.).

The reason for switching? The support was better and it seemed more functional and durable.

After using both phones, I would suggest waiting for the Nokia laser...but if you can't wait and don't have any need for having Nokia's app collection (remember, they released the HERE apps because they probably have a few other apps in the pipeline that will differentiate their Lumia line from other WP8 devices), get the 8x.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
piklokz