Newbie question on GPS NAv app

arnoldr315

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Hello everyone, newbie with a question. I pulled the trigger and ordered the 8X on VZW, which I should have in a day or two. The one app I probably need to have is GPS Nav (with voice turn-by-turn). VZ Navigator is out of the question, so I'm thinking Nokia Drive+. What else is out there ? Also, do I need Nokia Maps or Bing Maps for the navigation to work ?

I'm sure I'll have a few follow-up questions when I do get my 8X so thank you all in advance.

arnoldr

ajua

Sep 27, 2011
Visit site
Welcome to the 8X club! :wink:

Bing maps on WP8 are powered by Nokia maps. They are very good.

For navigation you can use the included Maps app. Nokia already released their HERE (they rebranded their maps and navigation service) suite of apps.

Get HERE Maps, HERE Drive (without +, which is for Nokia phones) and HERE Transit.

HERE Maps and the included Maps app are almost the same and they both use the offline navigation capability if you choose to download maps. From both you can get directions, but only from HERE Maps you can switch to voice navigation, which opens up the HERE Drive app.

I hope this answer your question.

arnoldr315

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Thank you for the welcome, Ajua. So for my 8X, I need to get the HERE Drive (without the +). I thought I needed the Drive+ based on my earlier readings. Would you know which app is tied to the MAPS Tile on the phone ? Could you link that to use the Bing Maps or HERE Maps ?

arnoldr

kwambe5

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
The maps tile links to the HERE maps, by Nokia. There is an app in the store that will allow you to link a tile to go to the Microsoft Bing maps.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
>Arnold315...
"...do I need Nokia Maps or Bing Maps for the navigation to work ?"

As mentioned by others prior, HERE Drive is the app from Nokia that gives Voice turn-by-turn navigation
Bing Maps and HERE Maps both provide basic mapping info (written directions) + local info/places of interest along the way....but no Voice turn-by-turn. But both Bing Maps and HERE Maps have a link inside the app to enable HERE Drive from the app for Voice turn-by-turn...if you happen to be using Bing or HERE Maps at the time...so convenient.

However, to answer your question...you don't actually need either Bing Maps or HERE Maps to in fact use HERE Drive for your Voice turn-by-turn directions. You can use HERE Drive alone w/o the others installed (tho Bing Maps is an HTC8x default install) to get voice turn-by-turn directions.

So as mentioned by others prior, it seems Bing Maps and HERE Maps are redundant. However there are some benefits to their use if it fits your needs. They both provide local places of interest etc (which other apps also provide). So it's a matter of personal needs I guess. I personally have them all installed but now that I see how much overlap/duplication of services the various Maps apps provide I might re-consider if I need to downsize for space or to just simplify things.

From Nokia's Help pages....
HERE Help
-------------------------------------
What is the difference between Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive in my Nokia Lumia phone?
- Nokia Drive is an application for voice-guided drive navigation. Nokia Maps is a map application which shows your current position and interesting places around you. Nokia Maps provides also routing information for planning a route to remote destinations.
------------------------------------------

Also not mentioned prior are 3rd party apps, gMaps and gMaps Pro GPS Voice Navigation, which are excellent. gMaps GPS Voice Navigation ('Buy') is the paid version but a reasonable alternative if you don't like the HERE voice turn-by-turn. The free trial version(gMaps) GPSVoice Navigation ('Try') limits voice turn-by-turn to an 11 mile radius I believe. Just providing the options that are out there.

Last edited:

jm1219

Mar 2, 2013
Visit site
It seems that the Navigon app is the most fully-featured, full offline maps plus live traffic and voice TBT. It's $50 though, which is pretty crazy compared to what you can get for free. I really just wish there was any TBT nav app that had live traffic and a reliable poi system, I don't care about voice or offline support.

arnoldr315

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Follow-up question. I loaded up Here Drive+ on my 8X. Then I went to 'Manage Maps'. It didn't find any downloaded maps, why is that ? I click the +(Add) to select a state/region to download. What is this going to be used for ? I also downloaded Here maps and it seems to work fine, the same goes for the default maps app (Bing Maps as KAVU2 said). Is this for Offline capability ? Someone please confirm. Thanks

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Follow-up question. I loaded up Here Drive+ on my 8X. Then I went to 'Manage Maps'. It didn't find any downloaded maps, why is that ? I click the +(Add) to select a state/region to download. What is this going to be used for ? I also downloaded Here maps and it seems to work fine, the same goes for the default maps app (Bing Maps as KAVU2 said). Is this for Offline capability ? Someone please confirm. Thanks

For all the Nokia apps (HERE Drive, HERE Maps, Transit) If you don't '+Add' maps then you are connecting to internet each time to see the maps (using Data) if you are driving around. If you are at home on WiFi then obviously the downloaded maps aren't tapping your cell data usage. If you '+Add' a map of your desired area it will be used by any/all of these apps for route finding/voice navigation and can be used 'Offline' and thus save your data charges. All of these downloaded maps are located in Settings|Applications|Maps and can be managed there (add/deleted) there.

Recommendation: definitely download the state/region maps that you might use on a regular basis so you are using them 'offline'. Then when you go on a longer infrequent trip d/l those maps that you need at that time. That will save on your Phone Storage space, unless that's not a problem in your phone setup. The maps can be added or deleted at your pleasure.

Also note I corrected my earlier post when I misspoke recommending 'gMaps' as an alternative voice navigation...I meant GPS Voice Navigation. I used the 'Try' for awhile and it is excellent. Unlimited timeframe but limited in mileage range (11 mi)...but is $6.99...so not too bad as an alternative to Nokia HERE Drive if that doesn't appeal to you. It has additional/different amenities/info options I think.

arnoldr315

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
Thanks Kavu2. Just as I suspected, it's for 'Offline' use. I will definitely download the states/region in the Northeast at the very least. If I have the maps of a state/region downloaded, would Here Drive/Maps use those maps in 'Offline' mode automatically ? I have my cellular set 'On' when I leave the house, do I need to turn if 'Off' .

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
To the best of my knowledge Here Maps/Here Drive use your maps stored on your phone first before d/ling their maps from the web. I don't think you need to turn off cell data or anything to make that to work. I don't turn it off and I see no significant data use increase when using Here Drive with maps stored on my phone. I think the cell data does use your GPS location to pinpoint where you are on the maps but that's it. So you've got that GPS data d/ling which you pretty much got to have to make the turn-by-turn work. But not the constant data-draining updating of a map d/ling as you go drivng along your route. So d/ling maps via WiFi before your trip is definitely the way to go.

Huime

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
the so called online mode is for faster and more flexible POI search. For example offline map only save important places, and official name of the place, but online data base link several other "urban name" for the same place.

arnoldr315

Jan 9, 2013
Visit site
thanks Huime. So for straight GPS (TBT navigation) use, I should be good with Offline mode. I only need to turn 'Online' to get better search results for POI.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077