For anyone who've had to warranty swap an 8X..

jbrandonf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
..does HTC require a proof of purchase? I bought my 8X on ebay and my phone is suffering from the blackening corners issue. I want to get a warranty swap from HTC but I won't be able to supply a proof of purchase. Otherwise I'm thinking of just scraping off the the soft-touch coating on the whole phone...

Joshua Jackson

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Hmmm...
I can't say for the manufacturer's warranty.
I was thinking about replacing mine with my carrier.
That wouldn't work for an ebay deal, though.
I'm assuming you didn't purchase an extended warranty (squaretrade or something)?
JJ

MoggSquad

Jun 21, 2012
Visit site
Mine is from Ebay as well. Mine is starting to power off on its own so I will have to contact HTC myself. Let me know of your experience.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
I contacted HTC regarding a minor issue that I found out was a Windows Phone issue and not an HTC problem. Anyway all they asked for was the imei number. From the imei number they were able to see the manufacture date, and the nice rep said that warranties are good for a year from that date. I didn't need to have it repaired, but she said that if I ever need to have it repaired that they can do it from the imei number. They never asked for a receipt or where I purchased it from or anything...

jbrandonf

Jan 26, 2011
Visit site
Good to hear that I should be covered anyway. I haven't called up to find out yet but I will update the thread as soon as I do.

peacefulberry

Feb 4, 2013
Visit site
Should be fine. I have gotten warranty replacements from two 8xs I got off Craigslist. One came in today!

When I first purchased a WP I was under the impression that HTC had horrible support, but their customer service is open until 1 am and they were a pleasure to deal with. I'm sure ppl have great and not so great experiences. I've learned to gather my own opinions myself. :)

AzelDazel

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
When I sent mine into UK repair it did say to include proof of purchase which I did, no idea if they would have done it without.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I picked one up on ebay, and when I went into a Verizon store to get a SIM card for it, I asked the history on the phone. It was picked up from a Verizon store 3 months before I had it.
According to the rep, I had a full warrany on it and because of my Insurance, it also had an extended warrany (2 years). I had to do a swap (sleep of death), No issues with it and I still asked about warranty, still got like 7-8 months left before my extended warranty kicks in.

My advice, bring you phone into your carrier and see if they can find a history on the phone. If it's a Verizon phone, bring it to a Verizon store (not a 3rd party verizon store), same with AT&T/TMOUS. That is the only way to know for sure. All phones should be under warrany right now, as the phone has been out less than a year.... If they ask where you go it, tell a little white lie, that your brother or so gave it to you (keep in the family kind of thing)

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs