Volume controls stuck on screen

gdsaar

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
My phone just started acting weird a couple days ago -- the volume controls won't leave the screen, which is really annoying at this point :angry:. I think there's something wrong with the actual buttons on the side of my 8X because it's almost as if the volume down button is being held down. I can't turn up the volume past 00, either. Because the volume is constantly on screen, I also can't use the back button to back out of any apps. I have no idea what could've caused this, but I've tried everything. Restarting my phone just gives me the "!" screen to which I have to use that special volume down + power button restart option to get the phone booting up again. I've also gone so far as to reset my phone, and I'm upset that I did because it didn't fix anything. It might be a hardware defect but just by looking at the volume buttons on the side, they don't look like they're pressed in. Any ideas on how to fix this once and for all? I'll have to go to my provider if not...

SLO Eclipse

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
Hi!
I had the exact same problem a month ago. I did a complete reboot to factory settings to no effect. The problem kept resurfacing.
The problem seems to be in the hardwere buttons, or some bad contact (maybe caused by moist?); so the telephone always thinks the button is being pressed, which also causes the ! to appear at the reboot.

I was thinking of sending the phone to the repair shop, but got overfrustrated before that, which caused me to furiously mash the volume buttons and the power button (don't overdo it, but press heavier than normal), and belive it or not, the problem was gone after that, not a single time, did it happen since then.

I hope this helps =)

H_O_D

Nov 6, 2012
Visit site
I just encountered a very similar problem. At first the volume kept turning down, but then I re-started the device only to end up in a repeating re-boot loop. The fact that the "!" (exclamation mark) icon kept appearing implies that the volume down button appears to have shorted. The above post mentioning moisture was the final clue - I did use the device a few times in the rain earlier that day. Nothing major but it might make sense of this.

Attempting the factory reset proved fruitless (probably due to the volume down button apparently being permanently active?)

There doesn't appear to be anything physically wrong with the volume buttons (both sound and feel OK) but possibly there's some moisture worked it's way into the case? I'm hoping it will dry out (otherwise it's warranty time).

Such a shame as I LOVE this phone! :love:

gdsaar

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the replies. The problem might have been due to contact with water because it was raining that day, though I'm almost sure that my phone was never wet. I was able to stop by a local Verizon retail store and they confirmed it was a hardware issue. I'm set to get a new replacement through warranty. Hopefully it's the same color as the 8X I have now too -- I love the red..

lamellama21

Mar 12, 2014
Visit site
To solve this I had to open the phone and disconnect the chip that connects the volume and camera buttons to the mainboard. The buttons no longer function but the phone is usable. It may have been caused by water damage.

Blopss

Jun 3, 2014
Visit site
Hi !
I have the same problem except it's stuck on the up volume key ! That can be kind of annoying in libraries for instance :sweaty:

I also think it can be due to moisture because for me the troubles started when I was in wetlands in east of Mexico. After I got back from this trip everything went back to normal for 3 months, then it has been back since last weekend when I was at the beach. That cannot be a coincidence.

I guess opening the case and blowing some dry air could solve the problem, but how do we open the case actually ?

Aivy Pham

Aug 17, 2014
Visit site
Hiyo! I managed to fix the problem! It is a hardware problem, but in my case, can be fixed.

The exact same thing happened to my sister's HTC 8X, where the volume down button seemed like it was continuously being pressed. So the 00/30 (volume) & vibrate/silent gray bar on top of the screen was always there, even after a soft and hard reset. Simply turning off the phone would also cause a reboot loop (repeat of phone vibrating and logo appearing). My sister also said she got it wet in the rain, so I'm pretty sure it's also a moisture problem.

In order to fix it:

1. I opened up the HTC 8x (you can youtube this on how to do it to your device safely). To open it up, I used my nails, a screwdriver, and a credit card.
Don't worry, there are no screws to undo. I just used the screwdriver to help pluck it open, and the credit card to keep a gap open while I work on opening the other sides of the phone.

Note: Only start opening from the left side of your phone. There is a plug that connects the battery to the phone on the right side, so it would be disastrous if you unplugged it (sure there's a way to fix it though).
Also, whilst your opening, you might hear sticky sounds (like you're tearing sticky tape off something). Don't worry about it, just do it slowly and carefully, and if you must, you can just snip off any of the loose black sticky tape. DON'T CLIP THE BLACK SHINY TAPE, that's probs important. You'll know what I mean when you open it up.

2. Inspect the volume toggle area. Particularly the volume down.
2014-08-17-14-01-32_photo.jpg
With tweezers, I peeled the transparent yellow sticker off (has a black dot in the middle). After placing it somewhere safe, I took a q-tip and cleaned the sticker AND the volume down area on the device.

Note: When comparing the volume up button sticker, and the volume down button sticker, I noticed the 'vdown' sticker was black. Like it was burnt? I think that's where the water must have screwed it up. The 'vup' sticker was clean. I managed to remove some of the... i'm just going to call it soot.
2014-08-17-14-01-57_photo.jpg

And after that, the phone worked fine!

This probably wasn't the best idea... but I kept the phone ON during the entire process.

Tips:
- REMOVE THE SIM CARD HOLDER BEFORE BEGINNING TO REMOVE THE BACK COVER
- BE PATIENT WHEN TAKING THE BACK COVER OFF. Be gentle please. Some people have managed to crack a screen doing this.
START FROM THE LEFT SIDE OF THE PHONE (opposite side of volume toggle). Preferably in the middle. Stick the credit card in the middle whilst you work on the top corner and bottom corner.
- The blue power button will also come loose during this process. Store it somewhere safe, you'll need it if you want to be able to turn the phone on. If you do lose it, there are alternative ways to able the phone to register a press of the power button. Yeah, don't risk it though.
- If the yellow volume stickers lose their stickiness, resort to glue. Don't cover the entire thing with glue, only the yellow corners.
- Work in good lighting

Sorry if this was no help. I'm surprised it was just a connection problem with the button. All it needed was some cleaning. The soot must have caused some conduction problem? idk what I'm even saying. Anyway, I do hope this helps :D A bit late on this thread XD ! Good luck!:smile::smile::smile:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo