8X, Wireless Emergency Alerts (ie, Amber Alerts) Setting available for AT&T?

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
So apparently the X8 supports the new WEA standard, and on AT&T and VZ you will get all alerts for your area unless you opt out.

Opting out is via a setting in Messages, at least on VZ:

Wireless Emergency Alerts - Windows Phone 8X by HTC

I don't have this device but someone on AT&T is hoping to opt out - but doesn't seem to have the actual setting option described in the VZ docs. Does anyone have the 8X on AT&T, and if you do can you check to see if you have this option? Or better still, if you know how to disable/opt out on AT&T, could you post that info?

Thanks!

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I do not have an 8X, but I do have AT&T. I checked AT&T's website and did not find anything about wireless emergency alerts for the 8X.

Has your friend tried calling AT&T customer service?

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
I do not have an 8X, but I do have AT&T. I checked AT&T's website and did not find anything about wireless emergency alerts for the 8X.
I'm trying to track down any info, and was just trying to verify that the option isn't available on the AT&T version of the 8x - it should be there (as it is on the VZ and other roms) but I don't have an 8x to check on AT&T.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm trying to track down any info, and was just trying to verify that the option isn't available on the AT&T version of the 8x - it should be there (as it is on the VZ and other roms) but I don't have an 8x to check on AT&T.

That would be carrier, rather than device, specific. AT&T might not yet offer wireless emergency alerts on the 8X.

johninsj

Dec 13, 2012
Visit site
That would be carrier, rather than device, specific. AT&T might not yet offer wireless emergency alerts on the 8X.

Sigh. Yes, they do. I'm active in the AT&T forums, and there is an 8X owner who is getting the alerts (not SMS based) and AT&T has rolled out support for WEA - but apparently their version of the 8x rom image lacks the settings options under Messaging. I was hoping someone here had an AT&T 8x and could just verify the setting option isn't there. The setting is there on the VZ version.

Unfortunately no one seems to be on AT&T with their 8x...

icywolfy

Aug 6, 2013
Visit site
I'm on a GSM reseller (H2O Wireless; on ATTs network)
And my 8X just got an Amber Alert last night; (that is an -annoying- loud emergency alert tone)
And no, there is no option under messaging settings to configure "emergency alerts"

Doesn't seem to be any means to turn it off unless software is provided to add that option to the phone; as mine is a factory default HTC unbranded model.

Joe Freedman

Apr 8, 2013
Visit site
This is the message I got from ATT on this:

"There isn't a way to limit the Amber Alerts from your phone, but there are a few options we have to stop these alerts. If you send STOP, QUIT, or CANCEL to 26237 (AMBER) and that will cancel alert subscription."

I did this and hopefully it will work. There wasn't any response to my text message but it has been about an hour and I haven't received an alert yet.

caresrg

Nov 25, 2012
Visit site
My daughter has an AT&T HTC 8X, and she started receiving alerts this week. Scared her half to death just after midnight. The "emergency alerts" button does NOT exist on her phone. She texted STOP to 26237 and continued to get alerts; we're hoping that perhaps it took 24 hours to "take," but we'll see. I've installed the Amber Alert app on my phone (AT&T Nokia 920, so far not receiving these incredibly loud alerts, thank goodness), to keep track of when the next one comes so that we will know.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb